Value of: Matt Roy

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
You think 10.4 is enough to extend Byfield and Roy both?

I like the optimism, but I just don’t see it happening.
A Roy return is doable, but it entails bridging Byfield instead of locking him up long term, trading Spence for a mid-round pick so they don’t have to pay his small raise, going to the bargain bin for 2 new cheap goalies, and carrying a shorthanded roster. All of which would be dumb and shortsighted but this is Blake we’re talking about.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I don't see how we re-sign Roy unless Byfield is going to take a Kempe-like bridge deal. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. If Byfield re-signs at $8 million for 8 years and Roy re-signs at $5 million for 4 years, that brings us to about $78 million spent and our lineup looks like this:

Byfield - Kopitar - Kempe
Fiala - Dubois - Laferriere
Moore - Danault - xxx
xxx - xxx - xxx

Anderson - Doughty
Gavirkov - Clarke
Englund - Roy

xxx
xxx

So we would have about $9 million to re-sign Turcotte, Spence, Grundstrom, Kaliyev, Lewis, Fagemo, and Thomas, plus sign two goalies. Maybe if Byfield takes something like 2 years at $5 million? And if Roy takes less than $5 million as well? At this point though, it really feels like we ought to get assets for Roy now and roll with Clarke and Spence as our 2RD and 3RD for the future.

I'm assuming we'll move Kaliyev this week to help us somewhere. Let's take a wild guess that it's to Philadelphia for Garnet Hathaway. Could be wrong there obviously. Here's a full lineup next season.

Byfield ($8M) - Kopitar - Turcotte ($1.5M)
Moore - Danault - Kempe
Lizotte ($1.5M) - Thomas ($875K) - Hathaway
Fagemo ($875K), Grundstrom ($1M)

Anderson - Doughty
Gavirkov - Clarke
Englund - Spence ($1M)
Moverare ($800K)

Nedeljkovic ($3M)
Rittich ($1M)

This gets us to $86,963,333 of the projected $87,700,000 cap ceiling next year and is a full 23-man roster. We've got at least 10 guys to sign/re-sign. You can replace Nedeljkovic with anyone, but it's a really weak UFA goalie market this offseason. Could see another bargain bin goalie tandem.

dman3474

Feb 21, 2009
L.A.
I don't see how we re-sign Roy unless Byfield is going to take a Kempe-like bridge deal. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. If Byfield re-signs at $8 million for 8 years and Roy re-signs at $5 million for 4 years, that brings us to about $78 million spent and our lineup looks like this:

Moore - Danault - xxx
xxx - xxx - xxx

Anderson - Doughty
Gavirkov - Clarke
Englund - Roy

xxx
xxx

So we would have about $9 million to re-sign Turcotte, Spence, Grundstrom, Kaliyev, Lewis, Fagemo, and Thomas, plus sign two goalies. Maybe if Byfield takes something like 2 years at $5 million? And if Roy takes less than $5 million as well? At this point though, it really feels like we ought to get assets for Roy now and roll with Clarke and Spence as our 2RD and 3RD for the future.

I'm assuming we'll move Kaliyev this week to help us somewhere. Let's take a wild guess that it's to Philadelphia for Garnet Hathaway. Could be wrong there obviously. Here's a full lineup next season.

Byfield ($8M) - Kopitar - Turcotte ($1.5M)
Moore - Danault - Kempe
Lizotte ($1.5M) - Thomas ($875K) - Hathaway
Fagemo ($875K), Grundstrom ($1M)

Anderson - Doughty
Gavirkov - Clarke
Englund - Spence ($1M)
Moverare ($800K)

Nedeljkovic ($3M)
Rittich ($1M)

This gets us to $86,963,333 of the projected $87,700,000 cap ceiling next year and is a full 23-man roster. We've got at least 10 guys to sign/re-sign. You can replace Nedeljkovic with anyone, but it's a really weak UFA goalie market this offseason. Could see another bargain bin goalie tandem.
Have to take into account 2,725,000 for Mike Richard’s and Ivan provorov. Also any bonuses earned this year will count against next years cap if there isn’t space for it under the cap this season, I don’t think you can use LTIR for bonuses.

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
Have to take into account 2,725,000 for Mike Richard’s and Ivan provorov. Also any bonuses earned this year will count against next years cap if there isn’t space for it under the cap this season, I don’t think you can use LTIR for bonuses.

This is including Richards and Provorov, not sure on bonuses but this roster gets you close enough.

Reactions: dman3474

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary

Moore - Danault - xxx
xxx - xxx - xxx

Anderson - Doughty
Gavirkov - Clarke
Englund - Roy

xxx
xxx

So we would have about $9 million to re-sign Turcotte, Spence, Grundstrom, Kaliyev, Lewis, Fagemo, and Thomas, plus sign two goalies. Maybe if Byfield takes something like 2 years at $5 million? And if Roy takes less than $5 million as well? At this point though, it really feels like we ought to get assets

The last thing we should do is to give Byfield a 8 year contract.
This takes us right where we don't want to be for contract negotiations.

What we need is a 2 year 6 mill deal to keep him in the RFA range.
Then he gets the 8 year 8-9 mill extension.
This way he is controlled until he is 31. When he turns 30 we can decide what to do with him.

Lizotte and Thomas and Englund should be gone for sure.
Turcotte, Grundstrom, Fagemo and Kaliev sign in the 1 mill range.
If Roy flinches to sign a 2 year 5.5 mill contract, he should be traded for assets since we have absolutely no use for him 2 years from now.

Sign Copley for another 1 year 1 mill contract and finally let Portillo play

This is maximum asset management and we build a team for the future 2 years from now.
Ziemer and Pinelly will be injected somehow in those 2 years

Fagemo - Byfield - Kempe
Fiala - Turcotte - Kaliev
Moore - Danault - Laferriere
Dubois - Kopitar - Grunstrom

Gavrikov - Clarke
Anderson - Roy
Doughty - Spence

Copley
Portillo

This is what i would run for the next 2 years and it would leave enough cap space for adjustments if needed

• Haha
Reactions: go4hockey

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
The last thing we should do is to give Byfield a 8 year contract.
This takes us right where we don't want to be for contract negotiations.

What we need is a 2 year 6 mill deal to keep him in the RFA range.
Then he gets the 8 year 8-9 mill extension.
This way he is controlled until he is 31. When he turns 30 we can decide what to do with him.

Lizotte and Thomas and Englund should be gone for sure.
Turcotte, Grundstrom, Fagemo and Kaliev sign in the 1 mill range.
If Roy flinches to sign a 2 year 5.5 mill contract, he should be traded for assets since we have absolutely no use for him 2 years from now.

Sign Copley for another 1 year 1 mill contract and finally let Portillo play

This is maximum asset management and we build a team for the future 2 years from now.
Ziemer and Pinelly will be injected somehow in those 2 years

Fagemo - Byfield - Kempe
Fiala - Turcotte - Kaliev
Moore - Danault - Laferriere
Dubois - Kopitar - Grunstrom

Gavrikov - Clarke
Anderson - Roy
Doughty - Spence

Copley
Portillo

This is what i would run for the next 2 years and it would leave enough cap space for adjustments if needed
Why should we get rid of Thomas? He's playing really well in Ontario and looks like he's got a future in our bottom six.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Why should we get rid of Thomas? He's playing really well in Ontario and looks like he's got a future in our bottom six.
Thomas is the JAD of Ontario.
He reached an age now where i start judging players.
He is not particular good in anything but average at best in other things.
If you mix that with being undersized, you have no NHL career.

Thomas being 6'4 would be a different story since he could take over grinding jobs but we face people where scorers are 6'3 and lightning fast.
There is no chance he would survive that.

He is for sure no scorer and his body is not being made to be a grinder... what else is left?

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
What his new contract look like?
I'm thinking 5-7 years in the 6 million dollar range. Does that sound fair?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I trust your evaluation of Kings players more then mine... but you you really think Roy at 6.5 until age 36 is a good idea? For reference, Fowler is 32.
Well that’s the tough part I’d try to do more money for 5 years, which will bring him to 34/35. I can’t see PV doing 7 years on Roy at 6.5 after letting lindholm walk for same
Contract, and from my understanding lindholm woulda went cheaper in Anaheim

I think he only gets 6.5 if he signs shorter term personally, that being said RHD are tough to find, and cap is going up(I think) so maybe

A lot depends on draft too and what the plan is with Gibson fowler…. If we draft someone like Dickinson, might be time to start lookin for fowler trade, if we draft levshunov maybe we look at a cap casualty option as a stop gap

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad