Value of: Matt Roy

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
thanks for the 411
would say Rs can't likely submit highest bid

if you are thinking win now-ish then Lindgren + Vesey for Roy helps this season + next for an expiring rental.
Tho I'd prefer Lindy + Jones + two 3rds for two 2nds from AZ going forward, Rs are insane thin at RD and this does give inside track to extend as a stopgap, possibly next season

but I expect you may get higher offers
Isn't Lindgren going through a rough patch?
:skeptic:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Isn't Lindgren going through a rough patch?
:skeptic:
yes due to wear and tear
howev, per eye test he still skates suff enuf + clears the crease
at only 3 per thru next yr he is a short term stopgap that could be part of a package if, from what was posted, LD is part of LA wish list

Again, not sure we are a match including as to currency
but that's the piece that is closest to a LD fit
we are not sending KAM

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Lindgren is intriguing, but the rest of that is pretty bleh.

If Roy goes, there has to be a quality piece coming back. 2nds and 3rds ain’t gonna move the needle.
sorry if I wasn't clear
2nd + 3rds not part of a Roy deal
sayin y thinking was Lindy + Jones allows two 3rds to be upgraded into two AZ 2nds
sayin that is a plan

If Roy enters picture per OP, sayin Lindy + Jones seems closest fit to what was asked

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
thanks for the 411
would say Rs can't likely submit highest bid

if you are thinking win now-ish then Lindgren + Vesey for Roy helps this season + next for an expiring rental.
Tho I'd prefer Lindy + Jones + two 3rds for two 2nds from AZ going forward, Rs are insane thin at RD and this does give inside track to extend as a stopgap, possibly next season

but I expect you may get higher offers
Neither Lindgren or Jones are of any interest, not to mention in a package together.

Reactions: Guitpik

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
LA isn't gonna trade him, but do Kings fans think the team will re-sign him? Or do they expect Clarke to take his spot next year?

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
I’ve been hoping the Canucks would target him this off season. Exactly who we need on our 2nd pairing.

Would love for us to go for him.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
LA isn't gonna trade him, but do Kings fans think the team will re-sign him? Or do they expect Clarke to take his spot next year?
I’m sure they are gonna try to bring him back, but he has earned a substantial raise, and the Kings are in a bit of a cap pickle.

Even with Arvidsson not returning and Kopitars salary coming down a bit, that is all going to be chewed up with Byfields extension.

There just isn’t any salary cap left for Roy to be paid what he rightfully has earned. He is gonna get serious money & term thrown at him by someone this year. 6-ish million on a long term deal isn’t out of the question on the open market.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I’m sure they are gonna try to bring him back, but he has earned a substantial raise, and the Kings are in a bit of a cap pickle.

Even with Arvidsson not returning and Kopitars salary coming down a bit, that is all going to be chewed up with Byfields extension.

There just isn’t any salary cap left for Roy to be paid what he rightfully has earned. He is gonna get serious money & term thrown at him by someone this year. 6-ish million on a long term deal isn’t out of the question on the open market.

Yup, this is Roy's chance to cash in and with a newborn in the household I doubt he's going to leave money/term on the table.

He's basically the ideal #3 who can PK, a good defensive d-man but one who handles the puck very well, AND he's a righty. He's one of the most desirable 'types' of assets in the NHL. Kings won't be able to afford him no matter how much they want to bring him back.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Neither Lindgren or Jones are of any interest, not to mention in a package together.
thanks but again to be clear, I explained the Lindy + Jones + 3rds for 2nds was for AZ, not LA

Lindy as a piece is only remote match NY has as to LD [who is available]. Specified LA has better offers

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary

Roy already makes 3.2 mill, assuming 5.2 is the target it's a raise of 2 mill
Arvidson would clear 4.2 mill and Kopitar clears another 3 mill.

This is plenty of money to sign Byfield and Roy.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
Roy already makes 3.2 mill, assuming 5.2 is the target it's a raise of 2 mill
Arvidson would clear 4.2 mill and Kopitar clears another 3 mill.

This is plenty of money to sign Byfield and Roy.
You think 10.4 is enough to extend Byfield and Roy both?

I like the optimism, but I just don’t see it happening.

Reactions: Lt Dan

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Blake has a lot of work to do before next season. No goalies signed. Best player needs a massive raise. Arguably 2nd best defenseman (Roy) a UFA. Lots of players on this years roster need contracts. Some will be minimal raises but they still chip away at our minimal cap. Not sure if we can eat Talbot's 1 mil bonus this year or will it count against next years cap?

Kings RFA's

Byfield - Massive raise
Kaliyev - may get traded
Turcotte
Lizotte
Anderson-Dolan
Spence - healthy raise
Moverare - even if re-signed no substantial raise
Grundstrom -

Kings UFA's

Roy - Healthy Raise, need this guy in our line-up, only physical right D
Arvidsson - Should let him go, others have picked up scoring slack, oft injured
Lewis - even if re-signed no substantial raise
ALL Goalies - will most likely be a raise as we spent 2 mil on goalies this year

In a perfect wold I would re-sign Roy and move Spence and Kaliyev in a package for goaltending or left defence but I have no idea where the money is coming from. Still have Provovov and Richards 2.75 mil in cap hit to account for next year.

If I am Blake I am sitting with Byfield yesterday to determine his contract going forward and taking away the possibility of an offer sheet. Byfield's contract will determine how they move forward

Reactions: go4hockey

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
LA already has (at least) two overpaid princess’s , no need for a third.

The entire reason that LA would entertain trading a shutdown RHD in the middle of his prime is because they can’t afford his next contract.

We're going to compete with Disney.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
There will be multiple teams who will want to trade for Roy. This is one of those rare situations where you can acquire a good core player where the team would keep them if they could but can't, due to cap (mismanagement).

It's kind of like how LA got Willie Mitchell and Rob Scuderi and we all know how that turned out.

Except, on top of that, this is a top RHsD, not some winger. For example, I could easily see him in Ottawa playing on the other side of Chabot on the top pairing. That could stabilize the entire D corps.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
You think 10.4 is enough to extend Byfield and Roy both?

I like the optimism, but I just don’t see it happening.
There is a bigger picture to this, we have roughly 22 mill cap space.
Lizottes will be replaced with Turcotte, the RFA's sign for what they are worth right now short term.
Then it all fits.

Of course it would help to get rid of Kopitar and Doghty, without that there is no moving forward

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad