Value of: Matt Roy

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
LA needs to make room on the right side so Jordan Spence and Brandt Clarke don't get scratched every game.

He'll be a UFA ; Blake is probably looking at an upgrade on the left side (Zadorov?) , an upgrade in goal, or bottom six tough guys that can play. (Hathaway/Olivier?)

What are you guys offering?

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
For a guy like Roy, the ask starts with a first round pick & goes from there.

That would do wonders to help re-stock the cabinet from the brutal cleaning Blake has done, so that probably means the trade never happens.

Blake is fully committed to forcing a “run” with this half-measured team he has constructed.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I think he instantly becomes the best D available if they dangled him out there so starts with a 1st. I would like Montreal to add him this summer but doesn't make sense to pursue him in season

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Roy would be a top four godsend for any contender.

I wouldn’t trade for him unless I knew I could fit him in long-term though. The Kings will want a pretty penny for a 6-2, RHD rearguard with his defensive acumen smack in his prime at age 28 who regularly plays 22-23 minutes a night.

I know Hanifin is a bigger name but given Roy’s RH-ness and profile as a more stay-at-home guy - I could easily see some teams, depending on need, valuing him in that same bracket.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Hope the Habs pursue him in the offseason. That allows us to trade Savard either in the off-season or closer to TDL.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
There no cap room for him and Arvidsson. Both should be dealt at the deadline.

Nope. It’s gotta hurt Vancouver being a rival and all.
Vancouver is a contender this year; at this rate we're lucky to make it as a wild card team.

It's not like we're competing against them really.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I think he instantly becomes the best D available if they dangled him out there so starts with a 1st. I would like Montreal to add him this summer but doesn't make sense to pursue him in season
It doesn't make any sense for the Habs to give up a 1st for him.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
how good is roy
Matt Roy is the ultimate “cooler”

Zero flash to his game, not a particularly great skater, but he just knows how to funnel the play to the corners & finish them hard. Can slot in anywhere from 2-4 on the back end and not be out of place.

He also has a very good breakout pass. I’m going to miss the shit out of the guy when he inevitably cashed in this summer and leaves the Kings.

Guitpik

Jul 8, 2006
As a Kings fan, I hope the planets line up just right and they can resign him. Like was mentioned earlier, this team is much worse off without him. If Blake doesn’t think it’s going to get done, trade him at the TDL. Whoever signed him will get him resigned in the offseason, he won’t make it to UFA.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Sign Roy and trade Spence. It doesn’t even matter with how poorly Blake has handled this team. If we trade Roy we instantly get worse.
Yeah, I don't think the Kings are actively planning to miss the playoffs this season so having Clarke and Spence as 2/3 of the right side is not a good move at this point. Defensively, neither of them is really NHL competent right now.

Reactions: go4hockey

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Matt Roy is the ultimate “cooler”

Zero flash to his game, not a particularly great skater, but he just knows how to funnel the play to the corners & finish them hard. Can slot in anywhere from 2-4 on the back end and not be out of place.

He also has a very good breakout pass. I’m going to miss the shit out of the guy when he inevitably cashed in this summer and leaves the Kings.

This guy is getting 5x 5.5/6.5 this summer and he'll be worth every damn penny to a team that knows how to utilize players. It's gonna be hard to see him go.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
He is what people thought Chiarot was but is actually good.

Use the Chiarot/Savard/Gavrikov trades as template. A 1st, a 3rd and a lesser prospect.

Personally if I was the Kings I would hang on to him and use him as an "own-rental" even if they can't see a path to a long term deal. Not gonna find an upgrade on him in the deadline market and Kopitar/Doughty are not getting any younger and gotta put them to good use while they still have it.

Last edited:

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
If LA is desperate for an LD and Roy is somehow willing to agree to extend in Ottawa, it's a perfect trade fit.

Chychrun definitely worth more on the trade market but LAK can throw in Kaliyev and all of the sudden it's pretty close.

Throw in your 1st and an expiring cap dump for Tarasenko @ 25% (another team helps retain more) and call it a day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad