Value of: Matt Roy

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
For a guy like Roy, the ask starts with a first round pick & goes from there.

That would do wonders to help re-stock the cabinet from the brutal cleaning Blake has done, so that probably means the trade never happens.

Blake is fully committed to forcing a “run” with this half-measured team he has constructed.
OP mentioned Zadorov, how about him a 1st (2025) and a lesser prospect or pick?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
If LA is desperate for an LD and Roy is somehow willing to agree to extend in Ottawa, it's a perfect trade fit.

Chychrun definitely worth more on the trade market but LAK can throw in Kaliyev and all of the sudden it's pretty close.

Throw in your 1st and an expiring cap dump for Tarasenko @ 25% (another team helps retain more) and call it a day.
LA would not need to add a thing for an extended Roy. More likely something like

Chychrun + 2nd + 3rd for Roy extended at 7 x 5.5M

Reactions: Ollie Weeks

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
If LA is desperate for an LD and Roy is somehow willing to agree to extend in Ottawa, it's a perfect trade fit.

Chychrun definitely worth more on the trade market but LAK can throw in Kaliyev and all of the sudden it's pretty close.

Throw in your 1st and an expiring cap dump for Tarasenko @ 25% (another team helps retain more) and call it a day.
I don't think Chychrun makes sense for LA. The idea behind trading Roy is getting young offensive defensemen Spence and Clarke more playing time. Adding an offensive defensemen kind of defeats the purpose because it limits pp time and possibly offensive zone starts, depending on pairings, for Spence and Clarke.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
From Toronto I'd do 2024 1st + bertuzzi @ 40% retained + 3rd for Roy. This helps LA restock picks but also gives them a player to help make the playoffs as well.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
The next couple weeks will be telling for LA. If the coaching change turns things in the right direction, I just don't see LA moving Roy if they're deep in the playoff hunt. If the skid continues, then Roy along with a few others need to be made available.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
LA would not need to add a thing for an extended Roy. More likely something like

Chychrun + 2nd + 3rd for Roy extended at 7 x 5.5M
LA already has (at least) two overpaid princess’s , no need for a third.

The entire reason that LA would entertain trading a shutdown RHD in the middle of his prime is because they can’t afford his next contract.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
If he comes with an extension, I'd offer a 1st + prospect from Toronto. Yes it hurts, but we've been looking for a piece like him for years.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Roy is worth a 1st +. If the team sinks deeper he'll probably go for a couple mid round picks because we got Blake as GM.

dman3474

Feb 21, 2009
L.A.
Is there a comparable (or better) defensively responsible LHD out there that would be available to trade Roy for? Or Roy + Kaliyev/Lizotte/??

The need would be to pair with Clarke or Spence.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I have always loved Roy’s game. I wish the Jackets hadn’t made the deal and extended Severson. Roy would be a better right D for Columbus and they could have afforded to sign him in free agency.

drede

Jul 13, 2023
Would love on the leafs paired with reily but only if they can resign him

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Should trade Doughty instead, but that's just me.

No, its not just you.

Trading away one of our few physical defenseman who can skate to make room for players like Spence is criminal.
When Doughty is done and Clarke takes over #1 defender, we will look for a physical defender who can skate for our 2nd line.... basically Roy. According to history, Blake will get a 3rd rounder for Roy and then pay 2 1st rounders to get a player like Roy back

Players like Spence are a luxury you can have if all other positions in your defense core are filled with qualified players.

Best case would be indeed trading Doughty, move Clarke to #1 where he belongs and give Roy a contract extension. Then we let Spence and another boy wonder work their magic on the 3rd pairing

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
If I'm Staios, he's my #1 target as a UFA. I'd trade a pretty penny if given the opportunity to discuss an extension ahead of a trade.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If I am Ken Holland, this is where my first rounder+ is going, assuming an extension is agreed to.

If I am Rob Blake, I tell Ken Holland to not bother trying though. I can't see these rivals trading with each other on the way into the playoffs.

Reactions: Okanagan

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Is there a comparable (or better) defensively responsible LHD out there that would be available to trade Roy for? Or Roy + Kaliyev/Lizotte/??

The need would be to pair with Clarke or Spence.

I'm not sure if he's available, but Adam Pelech certainly checks those boxes. If he is (available), a 3-way with Chychrun going to NYI could make some sense if Ottawa and NYI are allowed to discuss extentions ahead of time.

But again - I have no clue how available NYI fans believe Pelech is, and if they'd even prefer Chychrun over him. I just know he's a defensive guy, and NYI is often low in the goals-for department, so maybe Chychrun could be of interest. :dunno:

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
some have mentioned LD
what are Kings actual immediate/projected needs...
A left shot version of Matt Roy.
Physical bottom-six skaters with speed & snarl. Right shot preferred.
Goaltending.
High draft picks to re stock the cupboard.

In that order, IMO.

Problem is, Blake has f***ing destroyed the Kings cap flexibility, so any trade will be very complicated.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
A left shot version of Matt Roy.
Physical bottom-six skaters with speed & snarl. Right shot preferred.
Goaltending.
High draft picks to re stock the cupboard.

In that order, IMO.

Problem is, Blake has f***ing destroyed the Kings cap flexibility, so any trade will be very complicated.
thanks for the 411
would say Rs can't likely submit highest bid

if you are thinking win now-ish then Lindgren + Vesey for Roy helps this season + next for an expiring rental.
Tho I'd prefer Lindy + Jones + two 3rds for two 2nds from AZ going forward, Rs are insane thin at RD and this does give inside track to extend as a stopgap, possibly next season

but I expect you may get higher offers

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
thanks for the 411
would say Rs can't likely submit highest bid

if you are thinking win now-ish then Lindgren + Vesey for Roy helps this season + next for an expiring rental.
Tho I'd prefer Lindy + Jones + two 3rds for two 2nds from AZ going forward, Rs are insane thin at RD and this does give inside track to extend as a stopgap, possibly next season

but I expect you may get higher offers
Lindgren is intriguing, but the rest of that is pretty bleh.

If Roy goes, there has to be a quality piece coming back. 2nds and 3rds ain’t gonna move the needle.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad