Matt Read - WOW!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyersfan1216

Dec 17, 2008
FL ( From Philly)
It is.....why do people post when they dont understand what was said. The post was regarding NCAA free agents. a.k.a. Not drafted and coming out of college. So I dont see your point when you include CHL players and Europeans. Hes doing good through 8 games when injuries have ravaged NHL teams and callups from the ECHL do good in the AHL. All I was saying is, it was too much money to give an undersized forward who hasnt proven himself. Yes, kunitz and macdonald, and st louis are undersized also, but READ is nowhere near the skill of st louis or macdonald and doesnt play the physical game that kunitz does. With the abundance of top quality forwards Philly has, they have essentially strengthened their AHL team for 900K a year. My point was this was a pretty ridiculous signing when Philly main need is a goaltender and until they get one, they will always be bridesmaids!!

Think the flyers have found a goalie in BOB.

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
Read finished with:

11 Games played with 7goals, 6assits, +9 and 34 shots on net.

He scored in almost every game towards the last 7 games of the season. He seems like a great find in my opinion. Giroux put up similar numbers when he first went to the Phantoms. JVR had much worse numbers with signing his pro contract. Seems to me like the Flyers might have found a steal. Similar to Erik Gustafsson who will end up being an NHL defensman.However, I will wait till I see him play next season in preseason, but I like what I see so far.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Read finished with:

11 Games played with 7goals, 6assits, +9 and 34 shots on net.

He scored in almost every game towards the last 7 games of the season. He seems like a great find in my opinion. Giroux put up similar numbers when he first went to the Phantoms. JVR had much worse numbers with signing his pro contract. Seems to me like the Flyers might have found a steal. Similar to Erik Gustafsson who will end up being an NHL defensman.However, I will wait till I see him play next season in preseason, but I like what I see so far.

Not to rain on the parade but Read is almost 25, Giroux and JVR were around 20 when they were with the Phantoms.

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
Not to rain on the parade but Read is almost 25, Giroux and JVR were around 20 when they were with the Phantoms.

Definitely a valid point, but it's still an impressive start. I'm just stating that he has potential to be a nice signing and a possible bottom 6 forward next season. I don't know enough about him to argue, but from what I saw by stats was that he was the best forward at the end of the season for the phantoms. That's tough to do no matter what age you are. Coming on to a team and making a huge impact like that is a good sign.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Is Philly drunk? Signing this guy who is unproven and a midget to a 3 yr one-way deal at avg $900,000K is absolutely absurd and a terrible move by the GM. This joke of over-paying for college free agents is hilarious!! Team scouting departments should be fired for this. The anomaly that Martin St. Louis, Ed Belfour, Adam Oates and more recent Chris Kunitz have been are extreme examples and if a player isn't drafted and noticed early in their career in this age of technology, then hes not worth the crazy deal. Tyler Bozak and Matt Gilroy were seen as immediate saviors and have been busts SO FAR!! All teams are doing is making their AHL team a lot stronger (hopefully) and producing 4th line NHL'ers at best. With phillys strong prospect group and signing this midget to a 3 year one-way deal will create more headaches than anything else. Absolutely flabbergasted!!! Holmgren is a moron....get a goalie already!! Bridesmade again is all I can say!

My oh my, what a horrendous post!

:thumbd:

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
This may be one of the better bumps I've ever seen.

...and the irony of the Original Posters handle.....well, it's lost on no one.

Except maybe the knowitall himself.

Read is still early on in his NHL career...but know one(sorry NO ONE) can KNOW it all, before a player has played even one NHL game.

Should we trust knowitall(who is proving to not know very much) or an NHL G.M. and his team of scouts?

The best part is, regardless of the outcome for Read, the biggest part that knowitall missed in the whole thread was that Read was going to have his 900K on the books regardless.

If the Flyers send him down he will count exactly zero against the cap.

...and, so, if he is counting against the cap....he is worthy of it. Philly has the money to bury him....so if he's actually here, having his hefty 900K on the books, he's earning every penny.

knowitall must be having an identity crisis right about now. Because he's proving to not only not know "it all", but infact, maybe not much at all.

/thread.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Surprise surprise, an NHL GM aided by a team of professional scouts has a better read on a player than a random HF boards poster :) A bit early to say how he's turned out, but I thought he looked pretty good in the two Philly games I caught (Van and NJ), I'll bet most teams would be happy to have him for 3 years at $900,000/year.

Analyzer*

Surprise surprise, an NHL GM aided by a team of professional scouts has a better read on a player than a random HF boards poster :) A bit early to say how he's turned out, but I thought he looked pretty good in the two Philly games I caught (Van and NJ), I'll bet most teams would be happy to have him for 3 years at $900,000/year.

Nice pun is nice.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The OP claimed the Flyers prospect pool was a deep one. That was the most inaccurate part about his post. This was before we had Schenn and Couturier, and even now I wouldn't consider our prospect pool "deep," which is why they were willing to overpay for Read and give him a one-way contract.

Actually, the Flyers wanted him to leave a year earlier, but he wanted to stay and get his degree.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011

Good post is good.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
At times he looks a bit like a Giroux-lite out there. Obviously he is nothing close but just visually at times - the right-handed, same equipment and skating style.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad