Matt Read - WOW!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

knowitall

Apr 25, 2002
Northern Icon
Visit site
Is Philly drunk? Signing this guy who is unproven and a midget to a 3 yr one-way deal at avg $900,000K is absolutely absurd and a terrible move by the GM. This joke of over-paying for college free agents is hilarious!! Team scouting departments should be fired for this. The anomaly that Martin St. Louis, Ed Belfour, Adam Oates and more recent Chris Kunitz have been are extreme examples and if a player isn't drafted and noticed early in their career in this age of technology, then hes not worth the crazy deal. Tyler Bozak and Matt Gilroy were seen as immediate saviors and have been busts SO FAR!! All teams are doing is making their AHL team a lot stronger (hopefully) and producing 4th line NHL'ers at best. With phillys strong prospect group and signing this midget to a 3 year one-way deal will create more headaches than anything else. Absolutely flabbergasted!!! Holmgren is a moron....get a goalie already!! Bridesmade again is all I can say!

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
While the 3 year, one-way deal was a little puzzling; Matt Read can play. He's not going to light the league on fire or anything, but he's a guy who can play anyway you want him to. You can do a lot worse for a bottom six player.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

Is Philly drunk? Signing this guy who is unproven and a midget to a 3 yr one-way deal at avg $900,000K is absolutely absurd and a terrible move by the GM. This joke of over-paying for college free agents is hilarious!! Team scouting departments should be fired for this. The anomaly that Martin St. Louis, Ed Belfour, Adam Oates and more recent Chris Kunitz have been are extreme examples and if a player isn't drafted and noticed early in their career in this age of technology, then hes not worth the crazy deal. Tyler Bozak and Matt Gilroy were seen as immediate saviors and have been busts SO FAR!! All teams are doing is making their AHL team a lot stronger (hopefully) and producing 4th line NHL'ers at best. With phillys strong prospect group and signing this midget to a 3 year one-way deal will create more headaches than anything else. Absolutely flabbergasted!!! Holmgren is a moron....get a goalie already!! Bridesmade again is all I can say!

I can't speak on Bozak, but I do not recall anyone viewing Gilroy as a savior.

Did they expect better? Yes, but top pairing defenceman? Nah, not even close

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ

Wait....what?

Oh prospect group is terrible. Also look at guys like Bobrovsky and recently Gustafsson (who makes 900k) who were both FA and look like they will be important in the future.

Even though Im not Homer's biggest fan, he does have a decent eye for talent. Hopefully this guy can be a future 3rd liner. He is kinda old (turning 25 in a few months), but he seems like a heart player who can put up points and play in all positions.

taunting canadian

Jan 3, 2005
The way I see this is that it's just one small way that the richest teams can throw their financial weight around. If it turns out the guy sucks, then they wasted a couple million dollars (but 0 cap space), but in the interim they get first dibs on a potential prospect without having to spend any draft picks or assets. There's essentially no risk (from a hockey management standpoint) and Philly has plenty of cash to throw around.

knowitall

Apr 25, 2002
Northern Icon
Visit site
The way I see this is that it's just one small way that the richest teams can throw their financial weight around. If it turns out the guy sucks, then they wasted a couple million dollars (but 0 cap space), but in the interim they get first dibs on a potential prospect without having to spend any draft picks or assets. There's essentially no risk (from a hockey management standpoint) and Philly has plenty of cash to throw around.

Its a one way deal so they are burning 900k/year (ALL CAP SPACE) on a guy that has no pedigree and has been an unknown all this time. To boot, hes 25. One can hope he turns into something decent, high side -steve reinprecht (and thats a stretch) - low side $3M bust.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Its a one way deal so they are burning 900k/year (ALL CAP SPACE) on a guy that has no pedigree and has been an unknown all this time. To boot, hes 25. One can hope he turns into something decent, high side -steve reinprecht (and thats a stretch) - low side $3M bust.

You know the 900k doesnt count towards the cap in the AHL right?

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil

Holy cow dude, save your anger for something that actually matters.:laugh:

EasyMac

Jul 8, 2004

You are doing your username proud with that statement.

Shadow Flyer

Why So Serious?
Aug 2, 2008
The Interwebs

Well, if he forces his way into the Flyers' top-9 next season, $900,000 is a fair price to pay for that type of player. If he doesn't make the team, he goes down to the AHL, thus clearing his cap hit. The Flyers are a big market team. They don't give a damn if they waste $3M over three years on an AHL player in a worst case scenario.

The Flyers' prospect pool is awful. Matt Read helps make it a little better. I have no problem whatsoever with this signing. The fact that you do have a problem with it is quite baffling, to be honest with you.

asmodeanreborn

Jun 14, 2010
Longmont, CO
The anomaly that Martin St. Louis, Ed Belfour, Adam Oates and more recent Chris Kunitz have been are extreme examples and if a player isn't drafted and noticed early in their career in this age of technology, then hes not worth the crazy deal.

How about a few more examples of undrafted, current NHLers?
Vernon Fiddler, Jonas Hiller, Pekka Rinne, Curtis Glencross, Rene Bourque, Mark Giordano, Zbynek Michalek, Andy Greene, Dan Girardi, Ruslan Fedotenko, Sean Avery, Jeff Halpern, Chad LaRose, John Madden, Niklas Backstrom (Wild), Andy McDonald, Dustin Penner, Jason Blake, Dan Boyle, Antti Niemi, Alex Burrows, Brian Rafalski, Sergei Bobrovski...

yeah, definitely an anomaly.

Last edited:

asmodeanreborn

Jun 14, 2010
Longmont, CO
Definite screw-up on my part :)
The rest of the list should be good, though.

I should also mention that there are a TOOOOON of others, they just have less of an impact currently.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Exactly and something that should be expected from teams that can afford to spend on a risky ELC. It certainly guarantees that they'll land the guy they clearly want and the haven't lost any draft or personnel assets to do it.

You know the 900k doesnt count towards the cap in the AHL right?

Precisely. One-way deals don't mean they count against the cap, they just mean the contracted player is paid at his NHL rate regardless of what league he's in.

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com

So far Read has 4 goals, 4 assists, and is a +7 in his first 8 games for the phantoms. He's been playing the power play and the Phantoms are on a 6 game winning streak. with a recent 6-0 victory. I would say it's looking like a good signing now. He's 24 years old, he was captain, and has put up good numbers every year in the NCAA on a below average team. I would say it is a very nice "gamble". I love the know-it-all's that are willing to rip apart GM's and players before they have even played a game. Clearly this team saw something special in this kid, otherwise they wouldn't have signed him.

The Flyers have great scouts that have brought us players such as Richards, Carter, Giroux... I have learned to trust their intuition on scouting players by now. To have no first round pics over the past 3 years and still have a decent prospect pool is very impressive.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
Vernon Fiddler, Jonas Hiller, Pekka Rinne, Curtis Glencross, Rene Bourque, Mark Giordano, Zbynek Michalek, Andy Greene, Dan Girardi, Ruslan Fedotenko, Sean Avery, Jeff Halpern, Chad LaRose, John Madden, Niklas Backstrom (Wild), Andy McDonald, Dustin Penner, Jason Blake, Dan Boyle, Antti Niemi, Alex Burrows, Brian Rafalski, Sergei Bobrovski...

Rinne was drafted

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
lol. It's funny reading all the flyers fans comments that seem to think the Flyers win despite the man in charge. Despite him being the one who's assembled the team that sits near the top of their conference this year and went to the Finals last year.

When he took over as GM, they were having an atrocious season, far worse than ANY of the teams this year is having, and has taken them to the playoffs in each year since.

He might have poor cap management, but give him a break.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
This isnt a Homer thread. Most people dont like how he manages the team. He doesnt know what the salary cap(Jones, Leighton, etc) is and gives away picks constantly. He does have a pretty good eye for talent but other than that not much. Throwing money at players isnt that hard.

On the Matt Read thing, he has been doing really well in the AHL, 10 points (5 goals) in 8 games.

tokenmetalhead*

But tell us how you really feel :laugh: S'ok, I feel your pain. Bozak wasn't ever expected to be a saviour here in Toronto. But he has been played on the "first" line (the one that's not as good as our "second" line of Kulemin-Grabovski-MacArthur) and he simply isn't that kind of player. He'll probably just be a really solid 3rd line C.

I don't think the fans have ever expected him to be a saviour, but his first season with us did leave expectations unrealistically high maybe. 27 pts in 37 games can do that.

Anyways, NCAA signings are alright. Fans shouldn't view these players as saviours. In most cases they are late-bloomers who have slipped through the cracks and are worth giving a shot to see if they stick at the pro level. Nothing more, nothing less. Most of them won't become NHLers, but at the very least they do tend to improve AHL teams, which still has real, if slightly lesser, value.

knowitall

Apr 25, 2002
Northern Icon
Visit site

It is.....why do people post when they dont understand what was said. The post was regarding NCAA free agents. a.k.a. Not drafted and coming out of college. So I dont see your point when you include CHL players and Europeans. Hes doing good through 8 games when injuries have ravaged NHL teams and callups from the ECHL do good in the AHL. All I was saying is, it was too much money to give an undersized forward who hasnt proven himself. Yes, kunitz and macdonald, and st louis are undersized also, but READ is nowhere near the skill of st louis or macdonald and doesnt play the physical game that kunitz does. With the abundance of top quality forwards Philly has, they have essentially strengthened their AHL team for 900K a year. My point was this was a pretty ridiculous signing when Philly main need is a goaltender and until they get one, they will always be bridesmaids!!

madpooh

May 30, 2007
It is.....why do people post when they dont understand what was said. The post was regarding NCAA free agents. a.k.a. Not drafted and coming out of college. So I dont see your point when you include CHL players and Europeans. Hes doing good through 8 games when injuries have ravaged NHL teams and callups from the ECHL do good in the AHL. All I was saying is, it was too much money to give an undersized forward who hasnt proven himself. Yes, kunitz and macdonald, and st louis are undersized also, but READ is nowhere near the skill of st louis or macdonald and doesnt play the physical game that kunitz does. With the abundance of top quality forwards Philly has, they have essentially strengthened their AHL team for 900K a year. My point was this was a pretty ridiculous signing when Philly main need is a goaltender and until they get one, they will always be bridesmaids!!

so your point is until philly signs an NHL goalie they shouldn't sign no prospects at all?

asmodeanreborn

Jun 14, 2010
Longmont, CO
So you're saying that it's stupid to sign anybody who isn't already proven? You claim he's nowhere near the skill of St.Louis or MacDonald, yet you completely ignore that neither were they when they signed, which is why they started in the AHL, surprisingly, just like Read! Andy McDonald was 28 years old when he broke out. St.Louis was 27.

So maybe wait a little bit with judging, no? I have a feeling Philly's scouts have a little bit more insight and experience in this situation...

Also, what kind of risk did Philly take here, exactly? I have a feeling that the $900k vs a $500k contract had to do with several other teams being interested as well, by the way. If you want to look at bad contracts to undrafted players, look at Brunnstrom's instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->