Matt Read (thread started in 2011)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Read being UFA doesn't help the goal to keep his cap hit low.

if you are keeping Read(at 3.5 or higher) then Hartnell or Simmonds has to go I would think, with the raises due to Giroux,Couturier and Schenn.
The cap isnt going to go up that much in 2014. Its part of the reason why Read has been mentioned as trade bait.
i dont think Holmgren just gives him away tho. But I do think if he is on the block the Flyers could get quite a bit for him.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
if you are paying 4.5 for Read then its with another team. I like Read, but I just cant see the Flyers being able to afford him with Giroux, Couturier and Schenn all due big raises as well in 2014.

You think Schenn is going to get a big raise? He's getting $3m as it is, I can't see him getting a million miles more than that. Giroux's a given, but Couts won't get a fortune either.

RJ8812*

I owuldnt break the bank over Read. He's a good player, but his production can easily be replace. I'd love to hold onto him, but I wouldnt go any higher than $3.5m

RJ8812*

You think Schenn is going to get a big raise? He's getting $3m as it is, I can't see him getting a million miles more than that. Giroux's a given, but Couts won't get a fortune either.

Schenn isn't getting $3m. He COULD potentially get that much, but he has to hit his bonuses in order to earn that much. His next contract shouldnt be any higher than that. My guess is his next one will be 2-3 years around $2-2.5m a season

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Schenn's base salary is 870k. Same as Couturier.
capgeek shows all bonuses included with the contract.

And that is why Homer needs to sign these 2 to nice lil bridge contracts BEFORE next year starts. Say 3 years...2 mill for Couts, 2.25 for Schenn. Subban got $2.8 for 2 years. Hopefully homer squeezes for this. But knowing him, they will get $4.25 mill ion for the next 5 years.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
And that is why Homer needs to sign these 2 to nice lil bridge contracts BEFORE next year starts. Say 3 years...2 mill for Couts, 2.25 for Schenn. Subban got $2.8 for 2 years. Hopefully homer squeezes for this. But knowing him, they will get $4.25 mill ion for the next 5 years.

I'm pretty sure the first day Giroux, Schenn, and Couturier could be extended is July 5, 2013.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas

Bridge contracts are not an unqualified good. Have you seen Subban's numbers this year? Instead of locking him down for the remainder of his RFA years at a modest cap hit, they got him cheap for two years--followed by what is likely to be a Doughty-like payday.

Honestly, it is pretty hard to criticize the Flyers for their handling of recent contract extensions, particularly for our key RFAs (Giroux, Simmonds, and Voracek, etc.)

I'm don't think so. Read will be a UFA after next year, the other three are RFAs.

So the date is different for re-signing UFAs-to-be compared to RFAs-to-be?

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Giroux, Voracek, Hartnell, Simmonds, Schenn. We're not short on 50 pointers.
Hartnell and Schenn? OK, Hartnell has been in the past, and Schenn might be in the future. My guess is Hartnell is going to stumble around 40 points, Schenn will indeed be a 50 pointer, and Simmonds will have up and down years, where he'll get anywhere from 40 - 60 points. So alright, maybe we have four. But I don't think we're getting enough scoring from the bottom lines to be able to afford that. Because apart from Voracek and Giroux, none of those guys have the potential to be in the top in points league-wide.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
We are certainly at the point where we can expect Hartnell's production to decline.

decline from the 37 goals he had last year sure but i think there is no reason he can't be a 25 goal scorer like he has been most of his career.

getting the sandpaper, leadership and 25 goals is what they'll get for another 3-4 years atleast.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
What's not to love about Read?
Versatile two way player, kills penalties, great hockey sense, accurate snapshot and skates like the wind and plays bigger than his size...

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
i dont think anyone "wants" to trade read, we just might not be able to afford him.

I'm not seeing the cap problems that others are, I guess.

Meszaros and Briere ($10.5) should be more than enough to re-sign Giroux (+$4.0-$5.0), Couturier (+$1.0), Schenn (likely no change in cap hit), and Read (+$2.5-$3.0)--and that doesn't include the space created by the cap increasing or Timonen's money (which I'd assume will be allocated to a defensive replacement).

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I don't see these cap problems, either. Couturier and B Schenn are not in line for big raises in their cap hits, and I don't think Bryz will be here for the 14-15 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad