Matt Read (thread started in 2011)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
One of Homer's best moves as GM was to sign this guy. Cheap, gives it his all every game, scoring flair, responsible player, he's got it all. I hope he keeps it up. The signing has already paid off.

Well they better resign him....but he'll prolly let him walk like Carle for nothing in return :sarcasm:

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
far and away our best 2-way forward. it's amazing how many people were so wrong about him. in their defense he was 25 and only had a few pro games under his belt.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
LOL....Nodl and Wellwood were put on point and mowed down..:laugh:

Yeah, and this year's battle was/is McGinn, Zolnierczyk, Sestito, Rinaldo, Wellwood, (and Laughton).

McGinn and Rinaldo with hints of Laughton in the future were the clear winners. McGinn really looks awesome though.

Zolnierczyk has looked better than Wellwood did earlier this season as well.

RJ8812*

Yeah, and this year's battle was/is McGinn, Zolnierczyk, Sestito, Rinaldo, Wellwood, (and Laughton).

McGinn and Rinaldo with hints of Laughton in the future were the clear winners. McGinn really looks awesome though.

Zolnierczyk has looked better than Wellwood did earlier this season as well.

I'd rather see Z in the line-up than Wellwood any day

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Giroux. He has it all even without scoring he does everything right and now he's a face off beast.
Though I've been preaching read since last season saying he can play top line. Everything.

maybe when he's on his game but not right now. sure he still back checks like hell but i would argue read is still better defensively.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Wanted to bump this because it seems as logical a place as any to discuss whether Read fits here long-term.

His name seems to come up in nearly every Flyers-related trade proposal--and I'm as guilty as anyone--but I really think he's a player that the Flyers should consider an important complimentary piece going forward.

The key question is what it will take to re-sign him. Seems to me that somewhere north of $3 million and south of $4 million is a reasonable projection, but no one knows for sure. For the sake of argument, though, let's take the $3.75 that Kunitz got from Pittsburgh after a pair of ~25 goal, ~60 point seasons.

2014-2015 Roster​
FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Claude Giroux ($8.000m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Matt Read ($3.750m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Scott Laughton ($1.138m) / Sean Couturier ($2.500m) / Nick Cousins ($0.925m)
Tye McGinn ($0.775m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m)
Jay Rosehill ($0.675m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.000m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Erik Gustafsson ($0.975m)
Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m) / Bruno Gervais ($0.825m)
GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.667m)
Steve Mason ($1.500m)
OTHER
Buyout: Oskars Bartulis ($0.100m)
Buried: Danny Briere ($5.575m)
LTIR: Chris Pronger ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,589,167; BONUSES: $2,645,000
CAP SPACE (21-man roster):- $1,644,167

That's working with the 2013-2014 cap numbers--obviously it is likely to be at least a bit higher in 2014-2015. It assumes that Briere has been bought out but that Bryzgalov will still be here. It also assumes that Meszaros walks (or is traded). I've assumed that Giroux, Schenn, and Couturier are re-signed (though I left Schenn on the list, since I assume his cap hit won't change dramatically).

It also includes Timonen, who is likely to retire, since I'm assuming he would be replaced by someone in that ballpark cap-hit wise. Obviously, I haven't included the prospect from our 2013 1st round pick.

Quibble with the details--but my general question is this: why does everyone seem to assume that we can't re-sign Matt Read?

It seems to be there are any number of scenarios in which he could fit with plenty of room to spare, particularly if we ultimately buy out Bryzgalov.

DrHamburg

Mar 12, 2009
New York
I really like Matt Read. I think he is a very nice player. At 950K he is a steal for a 45-50 point player. But that is probably all he will ever be. He has a pretty high shooting percentage. I think his problem is going to be his trade value will be worth way more than the 3.5-4 million dollar price tag everyone is giving him. I don't think its out of the possibility to get a first rounder + roster player for Matt Read. I think that is better than a 50 pt player for 3.5 million.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
I really like Matt Read. I think he is a very nice player. At 950K he is a steal for a 45-50 point player. But that is probably all he will ever be. He has a pretty high shooting percentage. I think his problem is going to be his trade value will be worth way more than the 3.5-4 million dollar price tag everyone is giving him. I don't think its out of the possibility to get a first rounder + roster player for Matt Read. I think that is better than a 50 pt player for 3.5 million.
Gotta disagree there. How many 50 pt players do we have now, not counting Read? Two, maybe three? Even if 3.5 million was a slight overpayment, I think it'd be well worth it. It's great to have good prospects, but you need to have something to show in the present, as well. And "roster players" are a dime a dozen.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Gotta remember. Matt Read plays LW-C-RW, PK, PP and can play from lines 1-4. Not many players, AT ALL, can do that.

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
Gotta remember. Matt Read plays LW-C-RW, PK, PP and can play from lines 1-4. Not many players, AT ALL, can do that.

Maybe we should try to turn him in to the PMD we need.:laugh:

But in all seriousness I would love to be able to keep him as long as he doesnt keep us from signing our other young guys. And the only way I trade him is for a #1 or potential #1 d-man

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
I wonder if they will bury Read on the 4th line next year to decrease his point totals in order to drive his salary down...

In what reality are you living?

They are not even tanking on purpose to get a high draft pick in a meaningless ****** season. What sense would it make to bench a versatile top-6 player just to save a couple of hundred K on his next contract?!

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Gotta disagree there. How many 50 pt players do we have now, not counting Read? Two, maybe three? Even if 3.5 million was a slight overpayment, I think it'd be well worth it. It's great to have good prospects, but you need to have something to show in the present, as well. And "roster players" are a dime a dozen.

Giroux, Voracek, Hartnell, Simmonds, Schenn. We're not short on 50 pointers.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

Yeah, he's going toa solid raise. I don't think that offseason is going to be as cap-crunch-sensitive as others may think. Giroux is going to get a huge increase, but Schenn and Couturier aren't. They are both only going to be on their second contracts. Their next contracts are the ones that are going to difficult to maneuver. Read will probably go up to about $3-$3.5 million. Right now they have $20 million in projected cap space to sign 10 players (that's without factoring in any compliance buyouts or a rise in the cap). It is tough to say who will be here in two years, but I don't think we are going to have the problems that people think we are going to in two years. We'll have a clearer picture when the season starts next year. If Homer signs/trades for a bunch of big name guys, then things will change.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
He's probably looking at Hartnellish money. He's worth it.

Yo think he'll get that kind of loot? I'd pay it, but I am not sure he gets that much with the lower cap. I see him in a Ville Leino type of situation. Vastly exceeded expectations and was on a very cap friendly contract. If the cap was where it is now I think he would likely get that much money, but with the significant cap decrease next year and uncertainty (at this point) about what the cap will look like in two years, I am not sure if I see him getting Hartnell money. I would pay it though.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yo think he'll get that kind of loot? I'd pay it, but I am not sure he gets that much with the lower cap. I see him in a Ville Leino type of situation. Vastly exceeded expectations and was on a very cap friendly contract. If the cap was where it is now I think he would likely get that much money, but with the significant cap decrease next year and uncertainty (at this point) about what the cap will look like in two years, I am not sure if I see him getting Hartnell money. I would pay it though.

Yeah, I think it happens anyways. The cap will still be higher than it was when Hartnell originally signed, and he's really, really solid all around. He can play in practically every situation. I'm thinking something in the 3.5-4.5 range.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Yeah, I think it happens anyways. The cap will still be higher than it was when Hartnell originally signed, and he's really, really solid all around. He can play in practically every situation. I'm thinking something in the 3.5-4.5 range.

I could live with that.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
if you are paying 4.5 for Read then its with another team. I like Read, but I just cant see the Flyers being able to afford him with Giroux, Couturier and Schenn all due big raises as well in 2014.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad