Confirmed with Link: Matt Murray traded to Ottawa (Jonathan Gruden and a 2020 second-round draft pick)

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
I'm surprised he ended up in Ottawa. I would think that Melnyk would exercise veto power on a player who wants the salary Murray expects.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I think the Pens would have let him go to free agency for the same reasons.

Or talked him into playing out his final year before UFA? Not only proving this year wasnt a fluke but possibly better UFA situation next year with teams figuring out their cap...etc.

I guess he wants long term now , maybe doesnt want to bet on himself repeating this season

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I didn't say he "reported" anything, although I'm not sure why you're emphasizing that word as if reporting that someone is hard to coach is different than calling them hard to coach. I don't think you read my post correctly, so take your own advice.

He didnt say he was hard to coach.

He offered 4 theories as to why his play declined after the two cups. One of those possible theories COULD BE that he was hard to coach.

He also made it very clear both before and after that they are just theories.

That is totally different than, and again i quote “Yohe called him uncoachable in his article today.”

So either you are being purposely dishonest or you cant read. Your choice.

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
He didnt say he was hard to coach.

He offered 4 theories as to why his play declined after the two cups. One of those possible theories COULD BE that he was hard to coach.

He also made it very clear both before and after that they are just theories.

That is totally different than, and again i quote “Yohe called him uncoachable in his article today.”

So either you are being purposely dishonest or you cant read. Your choice.

Sorry I offended you, Josh. Keep carrying that water.

Reactions: SEALBound

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He said Murray had "too much success too soon and, at some point, became difficult to coach." The implication is clear.
He did come off as being arrogant and too sure of himself, like I said many times about him and this situation, it’s fine and dandy when it’s backed up and there’s some humility there to work on his game. But outside of the other times he’s been absolutely lit up, there’s a reason media don’t speak to him much, either the team won’t allow it or its usually him saying it’s flukes or some other bs. But the Canucks game is where you saw him really push excuses and accountability aside.

Sid will say he wasn’t good.
Letang will say he has to be better.
Malkin will say he’s sad he let the team down.
Murray said goals against him were flukes, funny bounces, really.

He did peak way too early, got very good very fast, then he had tragedy, also the goalie coach they let go was Bales, Fleury’s goalie coach. The guy they kept was Murray’s guy and he’s the guy that worked with Murray the most in WBS and in the NHL, so anyone stating Murray lost his goalie coach or anything remotely to that extent, didn’t know who was working with whom.

Chiodo currently is the goalie development coach, the main guy they report to is Buckley. It was Buckley in Chiodo’s role when Bales was around. Literally when Fleury was dealt, Bales left for the Canes.

Murray isn’t a bloke I hate though, I just think blokes like him needed to be humbled and losing games and losing his job to Jarry wasn’t doing it, getting traded to an absolute abomination and joke of a franchise and a disgrace to the sport of hockey, Ottawa Senators, might be it.

In his home province, no less.

Good luck to him. Penguins never did him wrong at any point in his career. Comical to think otherwise.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
So what's the penguin net looks like next season?

Jarry backed up by desmith?
I’d rather they went after a veteran back up and dumped DeSmith. Not a fan knowing his past and what not.

Also, I jokingly called Lundy to the Caps something that could happen, but f*** me mates, I didn’t think there would be some smoke to that.

I hope the Penguins sign Holtby to a 1yr deal as a back-up just for the laughs.

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
He did come off as being arrogant and too sure of himself, like I said many times about him and this situation, it’s fine and dandy when it’s backed up and there’s some humility there to work on his game. But outside of the other times he’s been absolutely lit up, there’s a reason media don’t speak to him much, either the team won’t allow it or its usually him saying it’s flukes or some other bs. But the Canucks game is where you saw him really push excuses and accountability aside.

He did peak way too early, got very good very fast, then he had tragedy, also the goalie coach they let go was Bales, Fleury’s goalie coach. The guy they kept was Murray’s guy and he’s the guy that worked with Murray the most in WBS and in the NHL, so anyone stating Murray lost his goalie coach or anything remotely to that extent, didn’t know who was working with whom.

Chiodo currently is the goalie development coach, the main guy they report to is Buckley. It was Buckley in Chiodo’s role when Bales was around. Literally when Fleury was dealt, Bales left for the Canes.

Murray isn’t a bloke I hate though, I just think blokes like him needed to be humbled and losing games and losing his job to Jarry wasn’t doing it, getting traded to an absolute abomination and joke of a franchise and a disgrace to the sport of hockey, Ottawa Senators, might be it.

Good luck to him. Penguins never did him wrong at any point in his career. Comical to think otherwise.

I think these are fair points, though I find it hard to take goalies' comments at face value because they're always playing mental games to maintain their confidence. I also don't think Murray really had a pattern of interviews like the just gotta laugh one he gave after Boeser lit him up. That interview was salty and I didn't really like it, but I'm willing to give him a pass for it. If we always judged players by their worst moments, we'd have to call Crosby a whiner for his salty interviews in the 2012 playoffs, and that's just one example.

I definitely don't think the Penguins org mistreated him, and even though I don't necessarily agree that he needs to be humbled, I do think that getting traded to Ottawa could be a huge turning point in his career.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think these are fair points, though I find it hard to take goalies' comments at face value because they're always playing mental games to maintain their confidence. I also don't think Murray really had a pattern of interviews like the just gotta laugh one he gave after Boeser lit him up. That interview was salty and I didn't really like it, but I'm willing to give him a pass for it. If we always judged players by their worst moments, we'd have to call Crosby a whiner for his salty interviews in the 2012 playoffs, and that's just one example.

I definitely don't think the Penguins org mistreated him, and even though I don't necessarily agree that he needs to be humbled, I do think that getting traded to Ottawa could be a huge turning point in his career.
Something about Murray just rubbed me the wrong way, so I am going to be harsher than most with him. He just came off as cocksure without the backing of it anymore, like his mind was still stuck after the 2 cups, but his play was atrocious and unreliable. But it was like they always had to stroke his ego. The way he was used, how they managed him being out while another goalie had to pick up the slack, how when he got Bronx cheers, they had to publicly come out and scold fans about it, meanwhile it was fine for literally any other player or goalie to get jeered like that and never have anyone back him up about it.

In any case, I am glad Jarry is our #1. I like his attitude, he knows how hard it took for him to get here and how much more work he has to put in, he knows he has to put in more work and doesn’t seem to take anything for granted. I can back that more than Murray’s final iteration.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Something about Murray just rubbed me the wrong way, so I am going to be harsher than most with him. He just came off as cocksure without the backing of it anymore, like his mind was still stuck after the 2 cups, but his play was atrocious and unreliable. But it was like they always had to stroke his ego. The way he was used, how they managed him being out while another goalie had to pick up the slack, how when he got Bronx cheers, they had to publicly come out and scold fans about it, meanwhile it was fine for literally any other player or goalie to get jeered like that and never have anyone back him up about it.

In any case, I am glad Jarry is our #1. I like his attitude, he knows how hard it took for him to get here and how much more work he has to put in, he knows he has to put in more work and doesn’t seem to take anything for granted. I can back that more than Murray’s final iteration.

The reaction to the Bronxing was over the top. The team was acting like they were still good and the fans were ungrateful...but the team wasn't good. It was imploding.

However I do think Murray himself just projects confidence outwardly. That's the kinda dude (bloke?) he is. I don't think he carried that confidence between the 4-by-6 for much of the last 2 years, though. Especially once his sub-NHL level glove hand got figured out.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
I don’t know if you’ve ever been, but I just thought I’d point out that Ottawa and TBay are very different places. Aside from taxes, living in those 2 places can almost seem like living in 2 completely different countries.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
My problem with Murray was that he stopped controlling the game. He used to calmly freeze the puck and not allow things to get out of hand.
He stopped developing, that was what it boiled down to.

You look at the young elite goalies and they constantly adjust and adapt to the way the league is changing, Murray just never did. His rise was at the time the Pens were making the speed game the norm, then when it was, Murray’s timing just never caught up and that glove hand wasn’t fun to think about.

Reactions: canadianguy77

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don’t know if you’ve ever been, but I just thought I’d point out that Ottawa and TBay are very different places. Aside from taxes, living in those 2 places can almost seem like living in 2 completely different countries.
I’ve been to Ottawa, thought it was quite boring.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
He stopped developing, that was what it boiled down to.

You look at the young elite goalies and they constantly adjust and adapt to the way the league is changing, Murray just never did. His rise was at the time the Pens were making the speed game the norm, then when it was, Murray’s timing just never caught up and that glove hand wasn’t fun to think about.

He regressed actually.

The glove hand, yes. He needs significant work on that.

But I am talking more about regressing from his key strength.

He in the cup years was a perfect example of why at times it is better to stop everything and learn to live to fight another day.

Jarry is completely different. Good at moving the puck. But that isn't Murray's strength. Never will be. He needs to get back to what works for him.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
We could have got a way better player/deal at the trade deadline. But apparently Murray had to be on the roster to lose to the Habs. Mind boggling.
Dude, hindsight. And entire global pandemic happened between those two events and the Penguins were still fighting for a playoff spot.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Weird how you consistently disparage the local media when it comes to the players you like yet now Murray is getting the ass out the door treatment and it’s 100% accurate.

Yohe’s article was shit.

Rossi: The Penguins were never as complete as they were from March 2016 to June 2017. Everybody expected he would become a franchise-caliber goalie because of what he did in those 2016 and 2017 postseasons, but Murray’s brilliance had come in short (albeit highly pressurized) stints playing behind teams that had few weaknesses. The Penguins became more flawed right when Murray was tasked with being the No. 1 goalie on his own. Maybe he was merely the right goalie at the right time for about 16 months and not ready for what was to follow?

Reactions: Shady Machine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad