Confirmed with Link: Matt Murray traded to Ottawa (Jonathan Gruden and a 2020 second-round draft pick)

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
What's the buzz on Gruden? good, ok, meh, kinda really sucks alot?

14. Jonathan Gruden, LW, 19 (London Knights)
After an up-and-down freshman year, Gruden left college for the titanic Knights, where he has become the team’s third-leading scorer, playing above a point per game. He’s one of those players who does a lot of the little things well but may top out as a AAAA player. He can play fast, he can slow the game down, he’s got some above average puck skills as a handler and passer (though they’re both not NHL level quite yet) and he’s responsible without the puck (without being a dominant defensive player). He might not take over a game at the junior level but it’s not hard to imagine having a decent pro career where he maybe bounces between levels. He plays hard and he’s got some leadership qualities, so he’s worth keeping an eye on.

Ottawa Senators Prospects: Jonathan Gruden Rebounds with the London Knights

Hit or miss. But, he could pan out to be decent enough.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
14. Jonathan Gruden, LW, 19 (London Knights)
After an up-and-down freshman year, Gruden left college for the titanic Knights, where he has become the team’s third-leading scorer, playing above a point per game. He’s one of those players who does a lot of the little things well but may top out as a AAAA player. He can play fast, he can slow the game down, he’s got some above average puck skills as a handler and passer (though they’re both not NHL level quite yet) and he’s responsible without the puck (without being a dominant defensive player). He might not take over a game at the junior level but it’s not hard to imagine having a decent pro career where he maybe bounces between levels. He plays hard and he’s got some leadership qualities, so he’s worth keeping an eye on.

Ottawa Senators Prospects: Jonathan Gruden Rebounds with the London Knights

Hit or miss. But, he could pan out to be decent enough.

Sounds like your standard issue Pens tweener.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
tenor.gif

The writing has been on the wall for a while now for those willing to be subjective. Thanks to MM for his early performances, hope he gets a good shrink to work through his woes.

All things considered, an average return. Cap space and a defined #1 goalie was the real return. Should of traded him to Calgary for the 6OA a couple years back when the Iron was hot :naughty:

Reactions: EightyOne

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
tenor.gif

The writing has been on the wall for a while now for those willing to be subjective. Thanks to MM for his early performances, hope he gets a good shrink to work through his woes.

All things considered, an average return. Cap space and a defined #1 goalie was the real return. Should of traded him to Calgary for the 6OA a couple years back when the Iron was hot :naughty:
uZHGAv8.gif

Reactions: Flying Dego

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
I can already see the Pittsburgh media pointing out Murray's stats this season, ignoring the context of the team that plays in front of him.

I'm just surprised none of them have come out with a smear campaign yet where he's a drug addict, gambling addict, alcoholic and child abuser all wrapped up in one.

Yohe called him uncoachable in his article today.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
You know what I find fascinating about the internet? Cognitive dissonance.

on one hand, the local beat reporters are hack frauds and you should do nothing but laugh at them.

on the other hand, they presented numbers and rumours about Matt Murray being difficult and a drag - from an organization famous for throwing ex players under the locomotive- and it’s gospel.

the Penguins don’t win back-to-back cups without him, and I struggle to pin most of their recent failures on him.

but this move - or one similar - had to happen, so that’s cool. Now we can place the Fleury - Murray - Jarry - Gustavsson depth in the same pantheon of greatness as Pouliot - Maatta - Morrow - Despres - Dumoulin

Noice

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
You know what I find fascinating about the internet? Cognitive dissonance.

on one hand, the local beat reporters are hack frauds and you should do nothing but laugh at them.

on the other hand, they presented numbers and rumours about Matt Murray being difficult and a drag - from an organization famous for throwing ex players under the locomotive- and it’s gospel.

the Penguins don’t win back-to-back cups without him, and I struggle to pin most of their recent failures on him.

but this move - or one similar - had to happen, so that’s cool. Now we can place the Fleury - Murray - Jarry - Gustavsson depth in the same pantheon of greatness as Pouliot - Maatta - Morrow - Despres - Dumoulin

Noice
You forgot Scott Harrington

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
So what's the penguin net looks like next season?

Jarry backed up by desmith?

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
He said Murray had "too much success too soon and, at some point, became difficult to coach." The implication is clear.

first of all its one of four theories, including change in goalie coach, loss of his father and league figuring out his glove hand weakness.

second of all he bookended the section with and i quote:

“There are many theories but no real answers... Still, these are theories.”

He didnt report anything.

Learn how to read.

Reactions: EightyOne

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
first of all its one of four theories, including change in goalie coach, loss of his father and league figuring out his glove hand weakness.

Learn how to read.

Reactions: Rust17

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016

Learn how to read.

I didn't say he "reported" anything, although I'm not sure why you're emphasizing that word as if reporting that someone is hard to coach is different than calling them hard to coach. I don't think you read my post correctly, so take your own advice.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Would have been nice if the Sens could have added Duclair in this trade. What could it have hurt if they were letting him walk anyway?

Reactions: ownal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad