Confirmed with Link: Matt Murray traded to Ottawa (Jonathan Gruden and a 2020 second-round draft pick)

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I guess I'm just sad that the Murray who won the cups never came back, despite all our attempts to coax him out of hiding. Like I said, I'm happy for two Cups but it almost feels like that was an entirely different goalie coincidentally named Matt Murray.

Or...That team/group was lights out good. Has Murray since seen the amount of shot blocking/back checking and limited shots or limited high danger shots since?

I'm not one here to say they couldn't win without Murray. A monkey could have backstoped 2016.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
I thought he had more value than that. Kinda disappointed in the return.

He does but GMJR handled it horribly. Remember that whole debate about moving Murray at the trade deadline or now? Well we are seeing nows return and it SUCKS. So many teams needed a goalie at the trade deadline. Teams know we have to move him now and we have no leverage opposed to having it all that trade deadline.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I'm happy with this trade. The value was fair under the circumstances.

LRS87

Oct 7, 2020
This is a good value trade. Not a big market out there willing to give much value to Murray. Plus, we get back a maybe prospect in Gruden.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
This is a good value trade. Not a big market out there willing to give much value to Murray. Plus, we get back a maybe prospect in Gruden.

It's a fair value trade, but he's a complete nothing prospect. If you can't score significantly better than a point a game as a 20 year old forward you're not making the NHL. He'll be lucky to be a career AHLer.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
13658167_web1_Raiders-Broncos-Football.jpg

I don't think I've ever seen someone get sunburned eyelids before.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
100% fine with the deal. Murray f***ed his own value and then the goalie market flooded like no tomorrow and a lot of teams are in far worse situations.

I kept mentioning Ottawa as a place that made sense for MM for their goalie situation and just for him to be closer to home. Hope he sorts his shit out.

Mrs Crosby's Dryer

Can we please fire idiot Sullivan now?
Dec 11, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Considering how little leverage we actually had in the situation, it’s a decent return.

Ottawa had a great draft this year so far and has some decent young talent led by Tkachuk & Chabot. Luckily Melnyk & Dorian have a track record of mismanaging that club or I’d be more worried.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
Murray does have more value but the problem was his asking price on an extension. Teams would of given a 1st if they could have him signed for a decent cap hit and term. What you got today was rental price. Murray can play out this one year and hit the UFA market next summer. Once I heard Murray still wanted big money on a long term deal I knew he wouldn't bring back much. One year rental goalies don't give you a 1st round pick. If Murray was willing to sign a reasonable contract we would of got a 1st easily. All take the 2nd and the 4th round pick prospect for 1 year of Murray. Hopefully we just drafted a goalie that can start for many years for one season of Murray.

Significant rumors out there Murray passed up a 5yr 25mil offer from another deal JR tried to make this week.

Reactions: farscape1

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
This board will continue to be prime evidence of how people aren't rational.

We cheer trading literally the guy who won us 2 cups for a 2nd round pick and mediocre prospect, even though the guy is still ridicously young.

Yet we shed tears when we trade away a choke artist, making $6M as a backup goaltender, who was perhaps the single biggest factor why the Pens didn't win more cups during this dynasty. And we get excited about the prospect of that choke artist coming back for a 2nd tour of duty? Despite the fact that he isn't even the starting goaltender for his current squad and lost of job (yet again) to Robin Lehner? What a f***ing joke

Can't make this stuff up

I'm of the belief that guys like Murray who aren't making big $$, are still young, and have shown poise in big moments are worth giving a long leash.

if he only had a smile like MAF

StroShow

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
Jonathan Gruden is a solid prospect by the way, not flashy in any sense but he will be a decent bottom 6 piece, similar to Teddy Blueger.

Reactions: Riptide

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
100% fine with the deal. Murray f***ed his own value and then the goalie market flooded like no tomorrow and a lot of teams are in far worse situations.

I kept mentioning Ottawa as a place that made sense for MM for their goalie situation and just for him to be closer to home. Hope he sorts his shit out.
Sens fans kept saying we would have to take back a goalie because they have too many, looks like we don't have to.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Getting the hell away from the Sons of Fleury cult will do him good, but man is he gonna get shelled in front of that piss poor Ottawa team.

I can already see the Pittsburgh media pointing out Murray's stats this season, ignoring the context of the team that plays in front of him.

I'm just surprised none of them have come out with a smear campaign yet where he's a drug addict, gambling addict, alcoholic and child abuser all wrapped up in one.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
I can already see the Pittsburgh media pointing out Murray's stats this season, ignoring the context of the team that plays in front of him.

I'm just surprised none of them have come out with a smear campaign yet where he's a drug addict, gambling addict, alcoholic and child abuser all wrapped up in one.

give it a few days

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

I’ll have you know I never ever hit a child.

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
Good deal. Surprising based on where he was two years ago, but his play dropped off significantly and it was time to move on. Obviously the deep goalie market limited his value.

He's still young however, so a change of scenery could do him good. A number of goalies over the years have figured things out in their mid-late 20s (Kuemper being a recent example). I wouldn't be too surprised if he returned to form, and I also wouldn't be too surprised if he flamed out of the league in a few years. Will be interesting to watch how it unfolds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad