Friedman: Matt Murray on the block?

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
Murray was always overrated on here. Played for a powerhouse team, had help from Fleury throughout the season and for half a playoff run. He's an average goalie that played on a great team and got hot at the right time.

Pens fans that say it's Pittsburgh's defensive issues, how come DeSmith is putting up much better numbers?

I think many Pens fans would agree with you. I know its so much simpler to presume all [blank] think alike, but it really is a nuanced and somewhat complicated world out there....

Reactions: hockey07278771

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I know he had been injured so he isn’t in the best shape but Murray was severely was very overrated by Pens fans. After that second cup some were preparing his bust for the HHOF.

Reality is that he’s an average goalie who played on some stacked teams

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I know he had been injured so he isn’t in the best shape but Murray was severely was very overrated by Pens fans. After that second cup some were preparing his bust for the HHOF.

He wasn't though, this is pure hindsight speak. Prior to Fleury leaving, Murray was that good. He just fell off for whatever reason, him falling off after the 2017 cup doesn't mean that he was overrated before the cup. He was really, really good when he was still considered a "rookie".

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Murray is a solid goalie, but if the right offer comes along I'm pretty sure GMJR wouldn't hesitate and he would trade him.
We can acquire a rental and have Jarry down the line anyways

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Corey Crawford? The Blackhawks could retain 2,250,00 to even out the salary. I'm not saying either team does it but would it make sense for the Pens with the age of their core? They get Crawford for two more runs at the cup and the Hawks get a goalie for the future. I'm not saying 1 for 1 is even value but it could be enticing for both sides with the current state of their franchises. Both teams are taking a gamble though with the injury history of Murray and Crawford.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

That 2017 Pens playoff defense was far from stacked.

Penguin Suited Up

Dec 26, 2017
He wasn't though, this is pure hindsight speak. Prior to Fleury leaving, Murray was that good. He just fell off for whatever reason, him falling off after the 2017 cup doesn't mean that he was overrated before the cup. He was really, really good when he was still considered a "rookie".
Murray literally stole games for the Pens in the playoffs, especially against the Preds in 2017.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
He hasn't been the same since his father, who he was super close with, passed away.
I really don't understand why everyone is acting like this isn't a factor.... This really is where I noticed that things turned for MM. Losing a father is not easy for anyone, but for a guy who is only 24 years old to lose your father is incredibly tough.

He has spent such an incredible amount of time working and training to get where he is. Then on top of that, starting his professional hockey career took him farther away from his family for a lot of the year. He was very close with his father and I can only imagine how difficult it must have been for him to be away from his family, especially in the latter part of his father's life.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Is me or is everyone on the trading block per Friedman. If a team is bad or if a player has bad start ... they are on trade block. Why doesn't he just get a monkey to throw a dart at a,bunch of names probably be more accurate...
I'm fairly certain it was Friedman who was parading a rumor that Malkin was primed to be moved a few years ago and how he wasn't happy.

Pittsburgh fans and media rightly started an absolute shitstorm and he ended up apologizing. So yeah I take his word about rumors with a massive grain of salt

Apr 9, 2009
USA

He was awesome. He was not overrated. The team was different with him in net compared to MAF. You could tell the team trusted him more.

You're changing history.

He has not been awesome since his dad died. Can pretty much point to that exact moment as when his play dropped off.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think many Pens fans would agree with you. I know its so much simpler to presume all [blank] think alike, but it really is a nuanced and somewhat complicated world out there....
If he didnt come in and save the day against Ottawa the pens wouldnt have won the second cup. How quickly people forget that he stood on his head after the sens ran Fleury out of the rink. He is a young very talented goalie he will bounce back. So much hyperbole on these boards especially leaf fans jumping to conclusions way to early just go look at the Laine threads before he got hot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad