Friedman: Matt Murray on the block?

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Friedman on Murray, Penguins

Friedman spent a few minutes going over the conundrum faced by the Penguins at the time, and then visited present day with Murray.
“I don’t know if anybody saw what’s happening now,” continued Friedman. “He’s hurt, but there’s no question there’s something going on between the ears. And we’re starting to hear some pretty soft trade rumors with him.
“I think one of the reasons that’s coming is the Penguins are not happy with where they are, although since Crosby’s gotten back they’ve been a lot better. But there’s no goaltending available in this league - no good goaltending.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
At one point Murray seemed like the 2012 draft's best goalie to now being the 4th best goalie from that draft: Vasilevskiy/Andersen/Hellebuck(he sucks this year)/Murray(Niemi level of bad this year)
Murray seems like he's gonna keep having injuries that have him missing considerable time.

Reactions: jetsforever

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Should have moved him when his value was high and retained Fleury. It’s near impossible to move out a goaltender playing poorly unless they roll the dice on another tender straight up like Allen

Please do, and then please make Jake Allen a cup winning goaltender so we all will be in even more misery :ha:

Reactions: Dbrownss

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Rutherford flat out shot this down today:

Yohe: Jim Rutherford isn't worried about Matt Murray ... yet...

If, however, Murray is still stumbling when this season concludes, things could change at this point.

“Here’s how I would put it,” Rutherford said. “I’m not worried right now. At this point, I’m really not. I have total faith that he’ll get it going. But, if we are still having this conversation after 60 games this season, or after the entire season has been played, then I’m saying that my answer might be different at that point.”

The "soft rumors" may be "if Murray doesn't figure his stuff out, the Penguins may do something after the season".

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Every GM would shoot that down if asked by a reporter regardless if it was true or not. No team wants that distraction.

Rutherford doesn't lie to the media, he's truthful to a fault with them, and him flat out saying "this may be a problem in 40 games or after the year" is pretty telling that he's serious about it.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
If you trade a goaltender that's won two Cups, you have to get back a goaltender who's won two Cups. Thus, the perfect trade is Murray for Quick :thumbu:

In all seriousness, it does seem to me to make some sense. Quick gets injured as often as Murray, but at least the Pens could count on him not having issues "between the ears" (as Friedman puts it) when he is healthy. Also, being signed for 4 more years, until he's 35, may not bother Pittsburgh because that'll carry them through the remaining productive years of their stars.

As for LA, they'd save $2M in cap space and could tolerate Murray struggling or being injured because Cal Petersen would be the #1 or at least #1b. I'm not sure which team would need to add, so maybe that's an indication that a straight swap would be fair... though Pittsburgh may have to thrown in, say, upcoming UFA Riley Sheahan ($2.1M AAV) as a cap dump to balance the numbers.

robes1

Jul 22, 2015
I can see Murray bouncing back... if they address the issues with their defense.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Murray was always overrated on here. Played for a powerhouse team, had help from Fleury throughout the season and for half a playoff run. He's an average goalie that played on a great team and got hot at the right time.

Pens fans that say it's Pittsburgh's defensive issues, how come DeSmith is putting up much better numbers?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00