News Article: Matt Murray on LTIR

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Doesn’t matter until he misses games in the playoffs

If things continue on trend, it's most likely Samsonov's net and the problem has resolved itself as far as the Leafs are concerned. The only injustice being both goalies' respective take home pay.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
For all the “it doesn’t matter until playoffs” it seems like so much matters to those same people before playoffs….

“Games in the regular season don’t matter” yet Murray’s GP matter despite overall good results.
funny how the regular season only counts because the playoffs are all luck and a crapshoot crowd always do a 180 when someone mentions one of the Dubsters f*** ups

buy hey hopefully i'm wrong and Murray turns back the clock a half dozen years and becomes a playoff hero again

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
If things continue on trend, it's most likely Samsonov's net and the problem has resolved itself as far as the Leafs are concerned. The only injustice being both goalies' respective take home pay.

Oh the horror!

What If their cap hits were reversed? Would you complain?

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
Exactly

At this point Murray has in fact been less efficient in terms of cap usage than Mrazek was last year because of an even bigger cap hit.

Last year Mrazek (@ $3.8 mil) played in 20 games going 12-8-0 and contributing while he was the goalie in net to 24 points in the standings for the Leafs.
This year Murray (@ $4.687 mil) has played in only 19 games going 11-6-2 and thus also contributing 24 points to the Leafs win - loss record and points in the standings.

Those are both really poor return on investment and cap usage.

Murray's sporadic availability and cap usage could have been far better spent on a top 4 dman, with Murray on LTIR all year. Playing a game then missing 14 on IR, then playing another and gone again for 15 games and counting means Leafs are paying a steep cap usage cost to secure them 11 wins on this season.,

My preseason position still stands as the better outcome for the Leafs, and doesn't prevent those that still believe Murray is the magical answer to playoff struggles.

Mrazek has a very low quality of starts percentage as a Leaf. Mrazek won because of the Leafs offense. Even a cursory review of his SV% of .888 and GAA of 3.34 would suggest Mrazek’s performance was significantly worse than Murray’s performance thus far.

Reactions: vpasla1

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
I would be quite fine if Murray were to miss the regular season and be ready to go for the playoffs. I’m good with Samsonov taking over with Woll as the backup.

That would give us some real cap space to use at the deadline to bring in one or two more important pieces.

Sadly, Murray will be back soon… unfortunately.

Reactions: ToneDog

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
I would be quite fine if Murray were to miss the regular season and be ready to go for the playoffs. I’m good with Samsonov taking over with Woll as the backup.

That would give us some real cap space to use at the deadline to bring in one or two more important pieces.

Sadly, Murray will be back soon… unfortunately.

He might sneeze and blow out an anal ring-out for the season 🤧

Reactions: Racer88 and ToneDog

Mar 26, 2010
Put this guy on waivers. He contributes nothing, just trash play.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Those GSAx numbers aren't particularly good in total, but the issue is he's a parlay bet on quality of play AND health. So if he's not healthy, he's not useful. And all things being equal with cap, he'd be less of a road block if he was just on LTIR the whole season because he's preventing Toronto from doing other things with his big salary.
His GSAx totals are consistent with his cap hit. He doesn't need to be healthy and playing 100% of the time to provide value to the team. Goalies aren't expected to play every game.
Putting him on LTIR for the whole season wasn't an option. He hasn't prevented us from doing anything, he's provided positive impact to our team, and we still have season left to go.
You might want to argue with NHL.com, they seem to think he's ranked 53rd in games played.
No, as your picture even shows, they think multiple people have 19 games played. You're ranking him below people with the same number of games played as him (and actually less starts).

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
His GSAx totals are consistent with his cap hit. He doesn't need to be healthy and playing 100% of the time to provide value to the team. Goalies aren't expected to play every game.
Putting him on LTIR for the whole season wasn't an option. He hasn't prevented us from doing anything, he's provided positive impact to our team, and we still have season left to go.

No, as your picture even shows, they think multiple people have 19 games played. You're ranking him below people with the same number of games played as him (and actually less starts).

You're arguing over player rankings provided by the official NHL website? I'm out.

Reactions: Racer88 and ToneDog

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Mrazek has a very low quality of starts percentage as a Leaf. Mrazek won because of the Leafs offense. Even a cursory review of his SV% of .888 and GAA of 3.34 would suggest Mrazek’s performance was significantly worse than Murray’s performance thus far.
That is true and agreed, but that doesn't matter in terms of wins and losses and points in the standings.

If a team wins 5-4 or 4-3 or 3-1 a win is still a win and its 2 points in the standings.

How well the goalie in that win played in terms of saves or save % doesn't award more than the 2 points earned by winning the game by any score. (no bonus points for sv%).

The goalie in the net records the win or the loss based on the end result not his individual stats.

Murray has 19 starts recorded 11 wins and his cap hit is $4.687 mil.. Those are the only stats that factor and benefit or hurt the Leafs based on wins or cap usage % etc.

Last edited:

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
That is true and agreed, but that doesn't matter in terms of wins and losses and points in the standings.

If a team wins 5-4 or 4-3 or 3-1 a win is still a win and its 2 points in the standings.

How well the goalie in that win played in terms of saves or save % doesn't award more than the 2 points earned by winning the game by any score.

The goalie in the net records the win or the loss based on the end result not his individual stats.

Murray has 19 starts recorded 11 wins and his cap hit is $4.687 mil.. Those are the only stats that factor and benefit or hurt the Leafs based on wins or cap usage % etc.
11 wins in 19 starts? That gets us 3 rounds in the playoffs. Thanks Mess! I feel better now.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
You're arguing over player rankings provided by the official NHL website?
No, I'm not. The official NHL website has Murray tied for 48th in games played.
You just read it wrong, and arbitrarily ranked every other goalie who also had the exact same games played as Murray above him.
Tell me... in a ranking of GP, why would Stolarz and his 19 GP be higher ranked than Murray and his 19 GP?
Hint: He's not. It's the exact same number. NHL.com just isn't coded to show ties in the rankings.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
No, I'm not. The official NHL website has Murray tied for 48th in games played.
You just read it wrong, and arbitrarily ranked every other goalie who also had the exact same games played as Murray above him.
Tell me... in a ranking of GP, why would Stolarz and his 19 GP be higher ranked than Murray and his 19 GP?
Hint: He's not. It's the exact same number. NHL.com just isn't coded to show ties in the rankings.

I’m not NHL.com, but even if you won your argument with the official league website, Murray being ranked 48th still isn’t very good.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
How well the goalie in that win played in terms of saves or save % doesn't award more than the 2 points earned by winning the game by any score. (no bonus points for sv%).
Wins are not goalie stats. They are team stats.
If a goalie is performing poorly and the team wins, the goalie is not providing value. The team is providing value to overcome the goalie's negative impact.
I’m not NHL.com, but even if you won your argument with the official league website, Murray being ranked 48th still isn’t very good.
I'm not arguing with the official league website. I'm correcting your incorrect claim about Murray's GP ranking that attempted to rank every goalie with the exact same GP above Murray.
It's already been shown to you how his impact ranks. Murray wasn't brought in to be a GP leader. Murray was brought in to be a tandem with Samsonov, provide insurance for a young goalie, positive goaltending impact to the team, veteran cup-winning experience, and potentially some of those clutch performances in critical playoff moments that we've been missing.
He's pretty on track for that so far, playoffs pending.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I come in peace only bearing facts.

Matt Murray has a career .921 playoff save percentage in 51 games.
Matt Murray is 29 years old. Not old for a goalie.
Neither Stanley Cup finalists last season finished with the same goalie they started. Matt Murray won back to back Stanley Cups as a rookie both times.

Matt Murray is on loan to the Marlies.

I WONDER……….

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I come in peace only bearing facts.

Matt Murray has a career .921 playoff save percentage in 51 games.
Matt Murray is 29 years old. Not old for a goalie.
Neither Stanley Cup finalists last season finished with the same goalie they started. Matt Murray won back to back Stanley Cups as a rookie both times.

Matt Murray is on loan to the Marlies.

I WONDER……….

I think he has a shot at making a cameo appearance in the playoffs.

Reactions: The Iceman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad