News Article: Matt Murray on LTIR

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
So…scenario. Murray goes down and plays some games. Nobody’s expecting much, but by game 3 or 4 he’s pitching shutouts and looking really good. Like “best I’ve felt in 8 years” good. We squeak by the first round out-scoring our problems, neither Sammy or Woll are able to take the net. Goaltending is clearly an issue and we are down 2 games in round 2.

I put him in.

Reactions: Mad hatter

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
So…scenario. Murray goes down and plays some games. Nobody’s expecting much, but by game 3 or 4 he’s pitching shutouts and looking really good. Like “best I’ve felt in 8 years” good. We squeak by the first round out-scoring our problems, neither Sammy or Woll are able to take the net. Goaltending is clearly an issue and we are down 2 games in round 2.

I put him in.
I would play him in game 1 of round 1

Reactions: Taylor Halls Teeth

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019

I put him in.

Even in the scenario you described, I wouldn't play Murray unless all 3 of Samsonov, Woll, and Jones were unavailable.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
In all seriousness a scenario in which Murray comes back and actually helps the team in the playoffs (even if it was just for like one game) would be a hell of a fun story. The guy's been through a lot

It would be but there's really no way he plays. It would take some incredibly bad luck for him to even be a back-up.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It would be but there's really no way he plays. It would take some incredibly bad luck for him to even be a back-up.

Definitely bad luck. Likely an injury to Jones + a complete collapse of faith in one of Woll or Sammy to have a chance of happening.

Still, I'm happy to see him getting closer to returning to play regardless.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Garbage timing. It’s not the exact same but We can’t be mad at stone and be ok with this

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Definitely bad luck. Likely an injury to Jones + a complete collapse of faith in one of Woll or Sammy to have a chance of happening.

Still, I'm happy to see him getting closer to returning to play regardless.
I think he leapfrogs Jones automatically. He was the #1 until he got hurt and gave the net to Sammy who now is trying hard to give it back. I think it should be him or Woll in the playoffs because they aren't giving him an AHL assignment for any reason other than to see if he can play.

Reactions: OddyOh

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
They timed his surgery to be ready like this. He won’t factor into the playoffs but that’s still 4 million we had

That's a bit speculative on your part regarding the timing. We know his surgery was necessary and was going to have a lengthy recovery period. It seemed like there was always going to be a fairly strong likelihood of him missing the season. Even as the Leafs benefited, there's nothing suggesting they delayed or overtly in had to manipulated things

I think he leapfrogs Jones automatically. He was the #1 until he got hurt and gave the net to Sammy who now is trying hard to give it back. I think it should be him or Woll in the playoffs because they aren't giving him an AHL assignment for any reason other than to see if he can play.
That's fair. Though Jones has been played fairly well this season and Murray not playing since March of last year might also influence the decision

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
That's a bit speculative on your part regarding the timing. We know his surgery was necessary and was going to have a lengthy recovery period. It seemed like there was always going to be a fairly strong likelihood of him missing the season. Even as the Leafs benefited, there's nothing suggesting they delayed or overtly in had to manipulated things

That's fair. Though Jones has been played fairly well this season and Murray not playing since March of last year might also influence the decision

He was announced LTIR in the summer. He got surgery months later. Just like kuch. There is no way they didn’t know.

Reactions: ToneDog

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
They timed his surgery to be ready like this. He won’t factor into the playoffs but that’s still 4 million we had
Of course it was. The idea that the Leafs are above doing what other teams do is naive. Good for them using the rules to their advantage. No different than Vegas, and no one should have an issue with either situation.

Reactions: ACC1224 and ToneDog

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
This shouldn't need to be said, but making significant additions at the deadline by LTIRing an elite player specifically between the deadline and game 1 of the playoffs is not remotely similar to a backup goalie on full-season LTIR maybe potentially becoming an available replacement option at some point throughout the playoffs if their two existing goaltenders get injured.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
This shouldn't need to be said, but making significant additions at the deadline by LTIRing an elite player specifically between the deadline and game 1 of the playoffs is not remotely similar to a backup goalie on full-season LTIR maybe potentially becoming an available replacement option at some point throughout the playoffs if their two existing goaltenders get injured.
I would suggest that the Leafs putting Murray on LTIR at basically the last minute before they had to make a decision on buying him out or making a trade was probably not a coincidence. It's also fine. Teams are allowed to do it.

Sep 18, 2009
I would suggest that the Leafs putting Murray on LTIR at basically the last minute before they had to make a decision on buying him out or making a trade was probably not a coincidence. It's also fine. Teams are allowed to do it.
Vegas basically cheating circumventing the cap

Reactions: OddyOh

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I would suggest that the Leafs putting Murray on LTIR at basically the last minute before they had to make a decision on buying him out or making a trade was probably not a coincidence.
Yes, they determined his status when they had to determine his status. That's not a coincidence, or unusual.
He was injured and put on LTIR, and he was replaced - which is the whole point of LTIR. We're not doing what the other teams did, or gaining the significant benefit they did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad