News Article: Matt Murray on LTIR

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Yup, gotta have him healthy for the playoffs. But he is " progressing well.." and it opens some space.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
1676742575253.png

The Toronto Maple Leafs have moved goaltender Matt Murray to long-term injury reserve following the acquisition of forwards Ryan O'Reilly and Noel Acciari Friday night, according to multiple reports.

CapFriendly.com, which was first to report the news, projects the Maple Leafs to have $4.4 million in available cap space through the LTIR pool with a total salary cap hit of $88.8 million, $6 million above the salary cap ceiling. Once third-string goalie Joesph Woll and his $766,667 salary are returned to the AHL, the Maple Leafs will have enough room to activate Murray and his $4.6 million salary when he is healthy again.

Murray last played Jan. 17 and was placed on injured reserve Feb. 9 with an ankle injury. Long-term injured reserve requires a player to miss 10 games or 24 days meaning Murray won't be eligible to return until at least early March.

The trade deadline is March 3.

Head coach Sheldon Keefe said Friday, before the O'Reilly deal was announced, that there was still no timetable for Murray's return.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Why would you blame Dubas for anything here? You sound oddly negative for an LTIR move.

I think the point being that Murray had a very recent, troubling injury history when Dubas acquired him and so far he's lived up to the billing. That leaves the Leafs depth chart for goal with Samsonov and Woll/Kallgren.

Reactions: geo25 and Racer88

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I think the point being that Murray had a very recent, troubling injury history when Dubas acquired him and so far he's lived up to the billing. That leaves the Leafs depth chart for goal with Samsonov and Woll/Kallgren.
Yes, I understand..That is fantastic depth.

Reactions: Anthrax442

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
Not much Dubas can do about that now. Can't really have 3 NHL goalies on the roster without dropping a forward or a defenceman and not really any better options than Woll/Kallgren available via trade that can be stored in the AHL for insurance. Brandon Bussi might be nice but the Bruins aren't going to give him up to help the Leafs. Keefe should manage Samsonov's workload better and use Woll/Kallgren more until Murray back.

Last edited:

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
What a total waste of time Murray has been, Mrazek 2.0
I'd still throw Murray in net before anyone not named Samsonov. Mrazek I wouldn't even have to think about, I'd play any goalie in our system before him.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I'd still throw Murray in net before anyone not named Samsonov. Mrazek I wouldn't even have to think about, I'd play any goalie in our system before him.

You can throw Murray in net all you want in a series, the issue is that someone else will probably have to take over mid-way..

The entire hockey world likes Murray when he's a healthy, starting goalie, but how long has it been since he's been one?

4 or 5 years ago?

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
If I could choose 2 players.

Ekholm
JT Miller
What about the absolute clown show that has been JT Miller this season would make you want him for 7 more years at 8m with a full NMC?

I wouldn’t take him if Vancouver included their unprotected first for free

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
If I could choose 2 players.

Ekholm
JT Miller
Ekholm would be perfect except for the long term 6.25 million dollar cap hit. Teams are more likely to retain if the guy has 1 year left not so much when they have 4 years left.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad