Matt Murray Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Hard not to love this guy.

The stat about him being a rookie while winning his 2nd Cup is pretty hilarious.

He has a lot going for him. The glove hand needs some work but he has time for that. I also worry a bit about if/when the NHL ever makes the goalie equipment smaller both from an injury standpoint since he has been prone to that and the fact he looks so ridiculously skinny and wears pretty big pads with more of a blocking style of goal-tending.

BreakfastatMarios

Feb 5, 2013
Pittsburgh
Heres hoping to many more cups with this kid.

My hope is he can transition this team down the road to the next generation of great nhl champions, Pens winning cause they got killer D and goaltending in a post croby malkin era or when they slow down a bit.

nbonaddio

BELLOWS: THE BEST
Mar 28, 2007

Has there ever been any info on who was his primary scout, maybe one dude in the department who really stuck out his neck for the pick? I'd love to hear it.

Dude is going to be starting 60 games a year for the Penguins until 2030 and when you've got an elite bedrock dude in net like that, you're always competitive.

My only concern, and it's a minor one, is that I'm worried about his longevity. Some dudes are blessed with genes that basically means they never get hurt, and other dudes are Rick DiPietro.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
It's officially time to stay away from social media for the rest of the summer. The MAF fanboy armchair GMs have arrived in flocks to remind us just how much we will regret losing Flower.

My question is,

If MM30 stays healthy, starts 60 games, and leads us to 3-peat posting ~2.00/.930 range stats, is he the best Penguins goalie ever?

Last edited:

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
It's officially time to stay away from social media for the rest of the summer. The MAF fanboy armchair GMs have arrived in flocks to remind us just how much we will regret losing Flower.

My question is,

If MM30 stays healthy, starts 60 games, and leads us to 3-peat posting ~2.00/.930 range stats, is he the best Penguins goalie ever?
Absolutely. If he wins three straight cups and wins a vezina (those are vezina numbers) we can call him top 3 in the league maybe better.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
The guys on 'The Powerplay' on SXM NHL-N Radio stated last night that Murray got completely snubbed in voting for ROY. They literally went off on a 2-3 minute tangent on how "How is it this guy gets no credit, yet everyone seems to completely bash and discredit the Pens defense? SO which is it? Either they have a tremendous young goalie in net, or their defense isn't that bad, or maybe a combination of both..but the guy gets no love from the media"

Was refreshing.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I've got a feeling it's only a matter of time before Murray puts himself in serious contention for personal hardware, which will be hard to ignore.

Yeah, Geno obviously has hardware too, but he ain't from around here and the brilliant critics aren't capable of acknowledging any offensive talent on Pittsburgh without attributing half of their success to Crosby.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
Murray's well on his way to being the new Malkin: a guy who makes huge contributions to a perennial Cup contender and gets next to no media love.

As long as they keep making huge contributions and winning Cups, I couldn't care less what the media does or doesn't say about them. And I'm sure they'd say the same thing.

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
As long as they keep making huge contributions and winning Cups, I couldn't care less what the media does or doesn't say about them. And I'm sure they'd say the same thing.

I'm sure they would. I'm just an irrational fan. Geno's my favorite, so of course I want him to get the proper recognition. Murray is rapidly working his way up my list of favorites, too.

Heliarclee

Nov 12, 2013
Does anyone know where to find ROY and Vezina voting for this past year? Interested to see what/if Murray got any votes for either award.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
I have a SCF autographed puck of his last season, and I just bought another this season.
As well as a mahogany double puck display case to put them in. Those can only raise in value.. right??

That's sweet. Might have to get me one of those.

Or not. Been spending stupid $ on his cards.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
well isn't it solely based on the regular season? Murray didn't play that many. :laugh:

Fair enough but he didn't get any this year either. I guess the injuries hurt him. At least I hope that's what it was.

I expect he'll be in the discussion sooner rather than later though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad