Matt Murray Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I've gotten to talk to Matt and his mom quite a bit. There's a confident earnestness about him that could be misconstrued as "cockiness" and we've seen him be a bit more "aw shucks" with the media this year which is a shame that you have to be coached up like that but Matt and his mom both think the world of Fleury and credit him for a lot of Matt's growth as an NHLer.

cool! give us a scoop, who the raven hair beauty is?

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
All you can do is laugh at the shade thrown towards Murray over the last 12 months. It's incredible that this egomaniacal Glass Joe stand-in can even pry himself away from his (weak glove) hand mirror for 5 minutes to show up and let pucks hit him while the team in front of him does all the real work.

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
Career postseason numbers:

22-9, 1.95 GAA, .928 SV%, 4 SO, 2 Stanley Cups.

Just turned 23 weeks a go. What a guy.

stratosphere

Mar 19, 2010
Murray showed a lot of poise in these playoffs--physically and mentally--but he also showed that he can **** the bed with the best of them. It's a long season and a long post-season. I hope the guy stays healthy through it next year.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
Career postseason numbers:

22-9, 1.95 GAA, .928 SV%, 4 SO, 2 Stanley Cups.

Just turned 23 weeks a go. What a guy.

He could retire today and still be more accomplished than a vast, vast majority of goalies to ever play the game. And... he's still a rookie.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Murray showed a lot of poise in these playoffs--physically and mentally--but he also showed that he can **** the bed with the best of them. It's a long season and a long post-season. I hope the guy stays healthy through it next year.

When exactly? The only game I can blame on Murray is Game 1 of the Nashville series. Game 3 and 4 nobody on the Penguins showed up.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
What hilarious is after Game 4, MM looking a bit more mortal and the Pens seemingly incapable of scoring at ES or PP, I would have been fine with the decision to go back to Fleury, thinking "well he's the best shot at going God mode and pitching a shut-out, cos that seems to be what we really need....MM will be steady but he always gives up a couple, and we can't score!"

Then MM goes out tosses a pair of Cheerios. Who is this guy lol?

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
The young man is a sociopathic beast between the pipes. 2 years, 2 Cups. 3 shutouts in 10 starts. Just incredible. We've been blessed as Pens fans.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
I love this kid's swagger. So confident, cool, and calm in the net. We are fortunate to have a franchise goalie for the next decade.

StutzlesTapeJob

Dec 22, 2008
I really don't think enough can be said of a guy his age and experience coming off two bad team outings then going back to back shutouts in the final, the clincher in the most hostile away environment of recent playoff history.

A shutout takes a team effort, but it's still rare enough to reflect the tender. He was so good in game six it was unbelievable. Just a great and memorable pens moment.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
If he can stay healthy, he's definitely on the right track to be yet another superstar in Pittsburgh. I think he already is. I think he will be the best goalie in the league sooner, rather than later, if he is not already. I've been thoroughly impressed with him since game 1 in the league. He rarely has an off-game and always comes back with a ridiculous performance or three.

Filthy goalie. We are beyond lucky.

Koempel

Mar 8, 2010
Leuven
Only injuries can derail what should be a hall-of-fame career. He is so clinical in making saves and displays quick thinking in playing the puck, that the entire team seems to play more relaxed. Add in an amazingly supportive teammate in MAF (never underestimate the long-term effects experienced peers can have on someone) and he will be a rock for the Penguins for the coming decade (and hopefully more).

Also wonder how much rest affects the playoff performance of goalies. Many here have mentioned the subpar play of some great regular season performers (playing close to or over 60 games). JR might have been onto something by basically dividing game 60/40 between MM and MAF. Relying on your 1st goalie too much during an 82 game grind might get you exactly what Bob gave CBJ.

stratosphere

Mar 19, 2010
When exactly? The only game I can blame on Murray is Game 1 of the Nashville series. Game 3 and 4 nobody on the Penguins showed up.

9 goals in 2 outings? 3-4 of those were soft. He's great, but fallible for sure. Reminds me of another Penguin goaltender--well, soon to be not a Penguin goaltender.

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
9 goals in 2 outings? 3-4 of those were soft. He's great, but fallible for sure. Reminds me of another Penguin goaltender--well, soon to be not a Penguin goaltender.

Games 3 and 4 were not good games, but they were hardly the kind of snowballing meltdowns characteristic of...well, we'll say Playoff Bobrovsky, to be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad