Matt Murray Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
How incredible is this kid? All he does is stop pucks and win games. He comes in ice cold in the middle of the ECF and lifts a reeling team past the Senators. He outduels every other fanbase's Conn Smythe pick in Pekka Rinne. He closes out Nashville with back to back shutouts!

The kid won two Stanley Cups as a rookie. Has that EVER been done before? If he doesn't win the Calder Trophy, it's a miscarriage of justice.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
He won't win the Calder because of how insane Matthews and Laine were during the season.

But he's a stud. He's going to be a huge part of this team for the next decade or so, and we lucked out big time by snagging him. Real diamond in the rough.

And an absolute consummate professional to boot.

ShatteredGlass

∞ Posts Deleted :)
Dec 19, 2011
Pittsburgh / Vegas
He's cocky, he's arrogant, he's nowhere near the nice guy Fleury is. Oh, that's just the nonsense I've been hearing all series from non-Pens fans.

The guy is amazing. Such a calming presence in net, and already super experienced at such a young age. Hard to believe we lucked out and got this guy in the 3rd round of the same draft we picked DP 1st. I'd say the Murray pick evened that out.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The complaint I heard about Murray last playoffs was that he didn't outplay anyone, instead he was just good enough and gave the Penguins a chance to win every game. That's not what happened this year, he outplayed 2 really hot goalies (well Rinne was hot before this series) and stole quite a few games. The dude's a top-5 goalie already with no doubt in my mind.

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
The complaint I heard about Murray last playoffs was that he didn't outplay anyone, instead he was just good enough and gave the Penguins a chance to win every game. That's not what happened this year, he outplayed 2 really hot goalies (well Rinne was hot before this series) and stole quite a few games. The dude's a top-5 goalie already with no doubt in my mind.

Rinne has been runner up for the Vezina twice. He's no joke. I'm sure the detractors will try to make it like this is the first time Rinne has ever done anything, so basically Murray outplayed Jim Carey, but that's not what happened.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I've always liked Rinne, but he was ****ing abysmal in the Finals.

If he's even half-competent for the three games in Pittsburgh, we're probably talking about a very different series.

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
I've always liked Rinne, but he was ****ing abysmal in the Finals.

If he's even half-competent for the three games in Pittsburgh, we're probably talking about a very different series.

The Pens did that to every goalie this year.

Maybe having the two best centers, darn near the best right winger, and the top playoff goal-scoring rookie in decades makes it hard for opposing goalies :handclap:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
The Pens did that to every goalie this year.

Maybe having the two best centers, darn near the best right winger, and the top playoff goal-scoring rookie in decades makes it hard for opposing goalies :handclap:

For sure. They made three of the best in the world look silly with Bob, Holtby and Rinne.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
SCF on the line @ 2-2 a piece. Two shutouts. No problem. As said in Rounders... "kid's got alligator blood."

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The kid just got back-to-back shutouts to win his 2nd Cup.

And he's a rookie.

pzv5j7l.jpg

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The argument I kept hearing about MM last year was that the Pens dominated so much you could have put a traffic cone in the net and they'd have won the Cup. I sure as hell hope tonight proved them wrong. Murray made a few HUGE saves tonight. The breakaway, the one timer off the glove, a couple big pad stops.

The stats don't lie and the eye test doesn't lie. After game 4, all the pundits said "he's weak glove hand" and Murray says "let them shoot glove if they want" and then posts two shutouts. Unbelievable resolve, calmness, and will to win. Kid is a stud and is just scratching the surface on what he can do.

Pens17

Aug 3, 2009
Not only does MM ultimately hold himself together during a **** storm, he has the rarest of abilities to inject the same emotion into his teammates. He oozes mental toughness, dogged determination, and supreme confidence.

MM is the poster boy for every coaches favorite cliché, "When the going gets tough, the tough get going (emphasis added!"

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
I've gotten to talk to Matt and his mom quite a bit. There's a confident earnestness about him that could be misconstrued as "cockiness" and we've seen him be a bit more "aw shucks" with the media this year which is a shame that you have to be coached up like that but Matt and his mom both think the world of Fleury and credit him for a lot of Matt's growth as an NHLer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad