Player Discussion: Matt Martin

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
the thing about Martin that i think goes unnoticed, is that he has pretty decent hands.

seeing him and Clutterbuck have a good night with Pageau, verifies that he is a decent player. people tend to think that our normal checking line can't be split up, but i am of the opposite opinion. those guys are professional enough to be effective in multiple roles.

we have a pretty good team. amazing what some good coaching will do...

I’m of the opinion that the three are still better together then apart. As to why they continued to play so well is a testament to how good and versatile a player Pageau is. He can easily fill-in for Cizikas.

As for Martin, I have always maintained he should retire an Islander. I hope they get to a point of mutual understanding where they give out a yearly contract (the Eric Boulton special). Eventually transitioning into the organization itself.

Martin is the closest thing to “Mr. Islander,” since Nystrom. It will especially help when he scores the cup winning goal this year too!

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Martin should return. He's worth more to the Isles than money and cap room. He had a solid playoff and needs to do what is best for him. Money, term, location, playing time, etc. Does he want to stay put? or Brian Boyle himself for a couple of years, earn some extra coin, but most likely uproot his life.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Some of the bottom 6 signings out there had me change my opinion on his market value. I think we see him re-sign for a million max.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Some of the bottom 6 signings out there had me change my opinion on his market value. I think we see him re-sign for a million max.

He wasn't worth much more than $1M pre-COVID, can't be paying that much for him now. The team has similar players under contract already too.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI and MJF

crasherino

May 9, 2013
He wasn't worth much more than $1M pre-COVID, can't be paying that much for him now. The team has similar players under contract already too.
Seeing Matty Marts with another team will definitely hurt. Seeing him toil away in BP would arguably worse.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I would be on board with him returning. I hope you guys are right, 1M one year. Cizikas only has 1 year remaining too. I did check The Rangers cap situation, they have 18M in capspace. If they are interested in Matt, and offer him more, I would not blame Matt for leaving. He's earned the payday these playoffs. If it came down to a bidding war with the Rangers, the Isles are outmanned there.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I would be on board with him returning. I hope you guys are right, 1M one year. Cizikas only has 1 year remaining too. I did check The Rangers cap situation, they have 18M in capspace. If they are interested in Matt, and offer him more, I would not blame Matt for leaving. He's earned the payday these playoffs. If it came down to a bidding war with the Rangers, the Isles are outmanned there.
No reason to get into a bidding war for Martin with any team. He has a value to NYI - he knows it. They know it. The money and term is really on him and what he wants in life.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
No reason to get into a bidding war for Martin with any team. He has a value to NYI - he knows it. They know it. The money and term is really on him and what he wants in life.
Honestly, this free agency is full of surprises. What is written a week ago, may look silly today. The Schmdit deal is a great lesson of this. There could be better options, looking for efficiencies, if Hoffman is willing to take say 3-4M for 1 year to cash in next year, this would probably be a better option. I think we need to look for efficiencies and exploit them this fall. It's such a unique opportunity that will probably not come along again.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island

I would not blame him and still respect him as a man but the new Mr Islander monicker would be tarnished beyond repair. Once you put on that Ranger jersey, you are the enemy.. I am sure his father in law is whispering in his ear.. don't do it Matt.. anywhere but the rangers and you will remain an islander legend, and deep in the hearts of all isles fans.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

ML19

Nov 21, 2011
Long Island
It sure is funny to read the first page of this thread and then the last. Can we finally just admit that we know nothing as fans?

Reactions: joekono

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
would love to see MM drag out negotiations with the Rags, as long as possible. try and get them up to say... $3 mil? then at the last minute, sign with the Isles for $1.5 mil.

that would burn their ass, bigtime...

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It sure is funny to read the first page of this thread and then the last. Can we finally just admit that we know nothing as fans?
Reading the first page, I can't believe that was 2 years ago. Time flew with Matt's 2nd tour of duty. As it turned out, Lou took Dumbass to the woodshed on reacquiring Matt for next to nothing.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Lets just hope we wont see him in a blue shirt
That would be the worst possible scenario - agreed. And it kind of makes sense for it to happen, unfortunately. Young team, could use the grit and locker room presence. Matty doesn't have to leave the area. I could easily see a 1 yr/$2m deal there - something that we can't match. I would hate for it to happen but don't begrudge him at all if it happens. Its a business and if he can get paid, so be it. He never quite cashed in as much as he could have. He did ok with the Toronto deal but if he hit FA a year or two before, he would have done better. He got saddled with a 4 yr/$4m deal from Garf.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad