Player Discussion: Matt Martin

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I have to bring this up. But People that just read analytics and stats rather than watch a game will not know how much it meant to the team what Martin did there in the last min. He remembered that cheap shot Goodrow laid on Nelson in game 2. and laid down the beat down. Another guy that fought with a visor again. Martin has been full value this post season, he is scoring, he is hitting, he is defending the Isles honor. He's worth the 2.5 he is making. What an old fashioned gritty hockey player.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I have to bring this up. But People that just read analytics and stats rather than watch a game will not know how much it meant to the team what Martin did there in the last min. He remembered that cheap shot Goodrow laid on Nelson in game 2. and laid down the beat down. Another guy that fought with a visor again. Martin has been full value this post season, he is scoring, he is hitting, he is defending the Isles honor. He's worth the 2.5 he is making. What an old fashioned gritty hockey player.

I don't care to get into the contract stuff, but almost every player has a visor because of the rule change. People should really stop getting upset about it unless a player with a visor is jumping someone without and forcing them to throw punches into it to defend themselves. Martin challenged a player that had it, that's on him.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Martin probably is here next year for something around a million and maybe a little less. He will probably be an in and out of lineup guy but certainly a guy that they like to have in the room I’m sure and I’m sure he wants to be here rather than anywhere else.

Reactions: Quickdraw2828

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I don't care to get into the contract stuff, but almost every player has a visor because of the rule change. People should really stop getting upset about it unless a player with a visor is jumping someone without and forcing them to throw punches into it to defend themselves. Martin challenged a player that had it, that's on him.
I disagree. Schenn the other night challenged Martin to a fight, he had a full visor on. Call me old fashioned but you don't get respect for being tough when you fight with a visor on, especially the one like Schenn had on. Goodrow is a player on that Bieksa doesn't like, he just commented on it. Maybe he gets more slack, since he was not looking for it, but when you board a guy that just got boarded head first into the boards. You know you are going to face the music when Martin is lining up against you. To his credit he dropped them, reluctantly, but I don't have much respect him nonetheless.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Martin probably is here next year for something around a million and maybe a little less. He will probably be an in and out of lineup guy but certainly a guy that they like to have in the room I’m sure and I’m sure he wants to be here rather than anywhere else.
I don't know, if Ladd is making 5.5, then Martin is worth atleast half of that.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I disagree. Schenn the other night challenged Martin to a fight, he had a full visor on. Call me old fashioned but you don't get respect for being tough when you fight with a visor on, especially the one like Schenn had on. Goodrow is a player on that Bieksa doesn't like, he just commented on it. Maybe he gets more slack, since he was not looking for it, but when you board a guy that just got boarded head first into the boards. You know you are going to face the music when Martin is lining up against you. To his credit he dropped them, reluctantly, but I don't have much respect him nonetheless.

Players have to wear visors now, that's the rule. Martin is grandfathered in. I'm talking in general, not just about tonight or Schenn (who I think was old enough to be grandfathered in).

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Players have mutually have taken off helmets when they have challenged another player to a fight.

That's an additional penalty now, you cannot do that. You cannot intentionally take your helmet off and players cannot mutually take each others helmets off before the start of a fight either. This was all changed a few years back because the league didn't like no helmets when fighting (which is bizarre to me but whatever).

Reactions: Hogan Shannon

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
That's an additional penalty now, you cannot do that. You cannot intentionally take your helmet off and players cannot mutually take each others helmets off before the start of a fight either. This was all changed a few years back because the league didn't like no helmets when fighting (which is bizarre to me but whatever).

Still a p***y move, PK. It's still a p***y move, ok?

Reactions: PK Cronin

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Still a p***y move, PK. It's still a p***y move, ok?

:laugh:

For those interested:
46.6 Helmets - No player may remove his helmet prior to engaging in a fight. If he should do so, he shall be assessed a two minute minor penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct. Helmets that come off in the course of and resulting from the altercation will not result in a penalty to either player.

https://cms.nhl.bamgrid.com/images/assets/binary/308893668/binary-file/file.pdf

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I seem to recall players that took off each others helmet before a fight.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I seem to recall players that took off each others helmet before a fight.

Back in the day, yes. Not anymore. The rule was changed so players cannot do that (as I posted above) and then they started to take each other's helmets off. The NHL then said players couldn't do that either. This clip is from 7 years ago. :laugh:

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
I don't know, if Ladd is making 5.5, then Martin is worth atleast half of that.

thats throwing good money after bad... if Ladd is making $5.5M, most of the league is worth at least half that.

of course every time I post about the team letting Matt walk next year, the guy gives a ton of heart on the ice. Keep proving me wrong Matt. You can stay :)

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Olliemets

Mar 1, 2018
Croton on Hudson, NY
What is special about Matty M is his sense of restraint. He's always in control. Most players of this type lose their Sh*t from time to time. He just reigns it in and plays to the best of his ability. I hope we find a way to keep him here. Someone will pay him, based upon his showing these playoffs. That's a certainty.

Reactions: ThreeLeftSkates

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
the thing about Martin that i think goes unnoticed, is that he has pretty decent hands.

seeing him and Clutterbuck have a good night with Pageau, verifies that he is a decent player. people tend to think that our normal checking line can't be split up, but i am of the opposite opinion. those guys are professional enough to be effective in multiple roles.

we have a pretty good team. amazing what some good coaching will do...

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Players have to wear visors now, that's the rule. Martin is grandfathered in. I'm talking in general, not just about tonight or Schenn (who I think was old enough to be grandfathered in).
Schenn is old enough to have played without a helmet :laugh:

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Back in the day, yes. Not anymore. The rule was changed so players cannot do that (as I posted above) and then they started to take each other's helmets off. The NHL then said players couldn't do that either. This clip is from 7 years ago. :laugh:

This was the only time it happened. The rule was made following this fight.

Kind of funny that the Islanders organization is also responsible for the rule change of a goalie knocking his net off it’s moorings when faced with a 2-on-none... Done so that he only has to face a penalty shot.

Reactions: PK Cronin

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Love the emotion and pride here. You could see Barry and Lambert whispering before this, they knew what was coming up. Matty Marts with the game winning exclamation point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad