Player Discussion: Matt Martin

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Community Outreach or Fundraising, something along those lines. With his wife and just his general connection to LI, he’s going to stick around and should he involved with engaging the community.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He's going to be a UFA, and his last 2 seasons and playoffs thus far may get him a nice contract if he chooses to leave. Got to give Matt the respect he deserves, after looking as though Toronto ended his career, he has certainly showed the hockey world he can still play, and also bring big intangibles to a team.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
yea all those wanting to see this guy coming back on the "cheap" you can forget about if after these playoffs, he has earned himself several extra million at least

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
yea all those wanting to see this guy coming back on the "cheap" you can forget about if after these playoffs, he has earned himself several extra million at least
He was probably the best Islander on the ice tonight, really involved with a goal, a fight, got under the Bolts skin, stood up for the team when Nelson was targeted, hit everything that moved and as usual was solid defensively. If Trotz can be blamed for anything in game 2. The ID line was not out with less than a minute to play. They usually are. Big mistake there, cost them the OT atleast.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Played himself out of the NYI price range in these playoffs.

I don't see how the Isles couldn't offer him a 1 year deal, he's been our most consistent-positive impact player, brought it every night. He bleeds blue & orange, I know many want to move on but until it's clear he can't play, i'm for keeping him in an Isles sweater. 5 Goals on the post season, hitting everything in sight, answers the bell when he needs to and loves his teammates.

Johnston is actually a better skater than most of us thought. If you get a real gamer to play on Pageau's right wing, you keep the ID line intact and roll...

Johnston-Pageau-Wahlstrom/Trade Acquisition.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
Man has he been great these playoffs! He was all over the place and next to Barzal was likely our best player on the ice last night. I don't think he goes anywhere next year! Lou will sign him 1 or 2 years at $2M.

Last edited:
Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Man has he been great these playoffs! He was all over the place and next to Barzal was likely our best player on the ice last night. I don't think he goes anywhere next year! Lou will sign him 1 or 2 years at $2M.
Why should he take short deal? After this ge could get himself a nice 4 year deal somewhere

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
Why should he take short deal? After this ge could get himself a nice 4 year deal somewhere
I just don't see it. That's a lot of term to invest in a 31 year old guy with a lot of hits racked up. I also think he has lifetime Island ties coming to him in the form of TV, front office or general ambassador work. Perhaps you're right but I just have a feeling he stays on the Island under a manageable contract.

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
He already left for the money, we saw how that worked out.

We also know how the wife can sway decisions, I think he stays local. Whether that is NJD, NYR or NYI remains to be seen.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I don't see how the Isles couldn't offer him a 1 year deal, he's been our most consistent-positive impact player, brought it every night. He bleeds blue & orange, I know many want to move on but until it's clear he can't play, i'm for keeping him in an Isles sweater. 5 Goals on the post season, hitting everything in sight, answers the bell when he needs to and loves his teammates.

Johnston is actually a better skater than most of us thought. If you get a real gamer to play on Pageau's right wing, you keep the ID line intact and roll...

There's nothing wrong with keeping him if he's $1M per year, but I don't think that's what he'd take and that's my concern. He cannot be paid anywhere near his current salary to make it worthwhile. His salary needs to replace Brassard or Kuhnhackl's to make it worthwhile.

Reactions: MJF

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007

I agree. Until he cannot play anymore Martin should be re signed. This team clearly did not have the same identity for those few years after he left. He is an important part of this team. Compare his production to Cizikas in these playoffs. Maybe it is not as clear as we thought who "drives" that line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad