Injury Report: Matt Hunwick Shut Down For Season - Sports Hernia - Surgery Required

siddy

Oct 26, 2010
Corsi Events Against per 60 minutes, 5v5:
Marincin: 48.3
Gardiner: 52.6
Rielly: 59
Hunwick: 61.6

Yes, the Leafs let 27% more shot attempts when Hunwick is on the ice vs Marincin.

Further, Marincin is basically even +/- (-1) on a team that has a -38 goal differential.

Whatever the critics see in Marincin, he's awfully "lucky" with defensive statistics.

I think a lot of people here don't understand how much of an anchor Hunwick is when paired with Rielly.

Marincin never looks great on the ice using the eye-test, but he's got good numbers to back it up.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I think a lot of people here don't understand how much of an anchor Hunwick is when paired with Rielly.

Marincin never looks great on the ice using the eye-test, but he's got good numbers to back it up.

And this is why, after being a Leaf fan for over 50 years, i put very little stock into advanced stats....and much more stock into the eye test. Marincin is horrible at hockey. Makes multiple bad plays...and fudging advanced stats doesn't change that.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
And this is why, after being a Leaf fan for over 50 years, i put very little stock into advanced stats....and much more stock into the eye test. Marincin is horrible at hockey. Makes multiple bad plays...and fudging advanced stats doesn't change that.

well then don't put stock in the stats

put them where they belong and that is with coach babcock.

now who are we to trust,

you or babs and the stats?

siddy

Oct 26, 2010

I'm not getting into the advanced stats back and forth (it's settled, they're here and they're meaningful).

Marincin is a really interesting case when it comes to the "eye test" vs "analytics" because he usually looks lost on the ice and has made some bad plays that have really stood out. However, once you look beyond that at the way the team plays when he's on the ice, he becomes a much more valuable player.

Numbers are a great way to look at things, as they're less biased than our own eyes and minds.

Grandrift145

Jan 23, 2009
Uptop

At team has 2000-3000(i guessed, maybe more maybe less) individual plays either positive or negative in any given game

It's impossuble for people(including me) to notice every play

Recorded statistics show he makes more positive plays than negative plays in a limited role

Makes sense to increase his role and see if it translates

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Wow and to think I didn't belive our d could get any worse marincin on first pair is painful at least though it should get carrick more ice time

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Marincin is a really interesting case when it comes to the "eye test" vs "analytics" because he usually looks lost on the ice and has made some bad plays that have really stood out. However, once you look beyond that at the way the team plays when he's on the ice, he becomes a much more valuable player.

I agree that Marincin can't hockey. When a guy "looks lost on the ice" and "makes multiple bad plays that stand out", they usually don't get a second look. They suck. I find analytics interesting, but in this case there is no point in even looking at them IMO.

When you have two good hockey players and you are comparing them with analytics = interesting.
When you have a visibly bad hockey player, trying to justify him not being so bad using analytics = Waste of time.

siddy

Oct 26, 2010
I agree that Marincin can't hockey. When a guy "looks lost on the ice" and "makes multiple bad plays that stand out", they usually don't get a second look. They suck. I find analytics interesting, but in this case there is no point in even looking at them IMO.

When you have two good hockey players and you are comparing them with analytics = interesting.
When you have a visibly bad hockey player, trying to justify him not being so bad using analytics = Waste of time.

Fun fact: He's actually not bad.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005

Yes, the Leafs let 27% more shot attempts when Hunwick is on the ice vs Marincin.

Further, Marincin is basically even +/- (-1) on a team that has a -38 goal differential.

Whatever the critics see in Marincin, he's awfully "lucky" with defensive statistics.

Those numbers seem to suggest a correlation between line number and shots/corsi against more than anything else. This makes sense, as our top defensive pairing plays against the top lines, whereas our 3rd pairing is given the easy assignments.

siddy

Oct 26, 2010
Those numbers seem to suggest a correlation between line number and shots/corsi against more than anything else. This makes sense, as our top defensive pairing plays against the top lines, whereas our 3rd pairing is given the easy assignments.

That's an interesting hypothesis. You may want to check other teams to see if that correlation happens anywhere else.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
It's so stupid the amount of people that hate Hunwick but don't realize he's the 3rd best D on the Leafs by a mile (Not much of an accomplishment but still)

Hunwick has been great all season and i hope he stays for the rebuild as a bottom pairing Dman or a 2nd pairing

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
You'd think that with Percy needing waivers next year they'd give him a look. Not sure what it is about Marincin that management/Babs likes and what it is about Percy that management/Babs doesn't like.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's

Couldn't this be the result of deployment? Marincin's been on the third pair all year.

ShameOnYouZidlicky

Jun 4, 2010
I hope these injuries are legit. I'm all for the tank, but if there is funny business going on with these players, I'd be pretty disgusted at the organization.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It's so stupid the amount of people that hate Hunwick but don't realize he's the 3rd best D on the Leafs by a mile (Not much of an accomplishment but still)

Hunwick has been great all season and i hope he stays for the rebuild as a bottom pairing Dman or a 2nd pairing

Plays die with Hunwick.

This phenom with the -17, 70 some odd shots on net with a 2.7% shooting % and 10 points while playing the time he does. Sign me up baby!

Plays explode into Oblivion on Mari's stick...

This super phenom tank commander has a beautiful 40 some odd shots on net and a 0% shooting percentage and... hold on... 2 massive points all season. He is only a -1 though if anyone even cares.

Adding...

Connor Carrick has 2pts 1 on the PP. 8 games played and is a -2.

FriedEgg

Sep 26, 2009
Not sure if it's the "our guy vs old regimes guy".

You'd think that with Percy needing waivers next year they'd give him a look. Not sure what it is about Marincin that management/Babs likes and what it is about Percy that management/Babs doesn't like.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
and people wanted to trade for Trouba when the top pairing guy was here the whole year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad