Dreger: Matt Hunwick on trade block

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I wasn't making it about the Leafs, it was more a direct comparison between two guys that switched teams basically. Your points are interesting but considering the fact that as much as you might hate it, Hainsey played a pretty vital role in that Penguins playoff D last year. This year the Pens D is legitimately worse depth wise(though you do have Letang back on the top end) and the the guy brought into replace Hainsey isn't working out at all.

From a role and ice time perspective, Hunwick was brought in to replace Daley's minutes on the third pair. Letang returning is who is replacing Hainsey's minutes next to Dumoulin.

Hunwick was never brought in to play on a shutdown pairing, playing 20+ minutes a night.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Remember when people were telling us that he's better than Hainsey?

Remember when the discussion was about who was a better fit?

Kind of like how Hagelin was a better fit for the Pens than Perron, even though in a vacuum Perron's a better player. Hunwick's skillset (better mobility) fit the Pens better than Hainsey's.

Unfortunately, Hunwick suffered a concussion and hasn't looked remotely the same as he did in the first dozen or so games (where he was very solid) prior to the injury.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
He was supposed to be an upgrade on Hainsey, because Hainsey was like oil and water with the Penguins due to his poor skating and puck moving. Hunwick started out the season really well and looked like a good fit, and then he got hurt and everything went down the drain.

It's amazing that you're too dense to understand this. Let's lay it out for you nice and easy:

1. Hainsey was a bad fit for the Penguins because he wasn't a strong skater and couldn't move the puck well.
2. Hunwick is a good skater that has fine puck moving talent, therefore he fits the Penguins system better than Hainsey does.
3. Therefore, Hunwick is better for the Penguins than Hainsey was.

Why do Leafs fans have to make all threads about the Leafs? No one cares, this isn't a Leafs thread. Congrats Hainsey has been good for you guys, he didn't fit with the Penguins and most Penguins fans don't miss him.

No offence, but didn't Hainsey play on your top pair in the playoffs...and didn't you win the cup?
He couldn't have been as bad for your team as you are making it out to be.
I watched the entire Pens ECF and cup finals, and he looked as though he played pretty well for you guys. However, I can't speak to the post-deadline regular season and early rounds.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Boston makes a little sense too, if they're not confident with Grzelcyk.
Why, yes, the first NHL team to notice that Matt Hunwick was an awful defenseman would make little sense, especially given the 14 other prospects they have waiting at LD.

You will need to polish that turd something extra if you plan to push it on Boston.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
No offence, but didn't Hainsey play on your top pair in the playoffs...and didn't you win the cup?
I watched the entire Pens ECF and cup finals, and he looked as though he played pretty well for you guys. However, I can't speak to the post-deadline regular season and early rounds.

The Penguins won in spite of Hainsey playing on their top pair. He didn't fit the Penguins system at all and looked awful because of that. He wasn't a bad player, he was just a horrible fit playing way too many minutes.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Oleksiak was a great add by JR. I had my doubts when we acquired him, but he has certainly added to that third D pair. He and Cole form a good one.

The fact Ruhwedel can't see action and he was a better Dman for the Pens last year than RH, tells you something out our top six. Ruhwedel is also a competent bottom D pair guy.

Ya I’m shocked how well Oleksiak has worked out. Great trade by JR.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

As a Pens fan I thought Hainsey played his best hockey in the Cup finals. Prior to that he was handling every puck like a hand grenade and causing us to get brutally out possessed on the ice.

He didn't kill us I guess, but he was brutal at times.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
negative value. pittsburgh would have to add an asset rather than receive one to get rid of his contract.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Hainsey got "top-pairing minutes" because he would be trapped in his zone for minutes at a time.

attaamillo

Oct 27, 2014
Hunwick is no nearly as bad as some are saying. He's also nothing special. He's an average, mobile, #5D who makes appropriate money.

If the Pens weren't so cash-strapped, I'd keep him as perfectly fine depth.

I think his value is right around a 3rd or 4th round pick or a change of scenery B prospect.

Reactions: Riptide

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Why do Leafs fans have to make all threads about the Leafs? No one cares, this isn't a Leafs thread. Congrats Hainsey has been good for you guys, he didn't fit with the Penguins and most Penguins fans don't miss him.

The comments are really not about the Leafs just so much as rubbing your noses in it after telling us how great he was when we warned you.

I do think people care that you guys made statements that proved to be false, it happens to all fan bases. No need to get upset or have a tantrum, just say "Ya ya you were right" and move on. It's just good natured ribbing and "I told you so".

People do not want these responses they should never make claims they aren't sure of. Or you could just grow a thicker skin and laugh it off.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Thank God. He’s not horrible per se, but that contract absolutely needs to go. Was a mistake signing him to 2.25 mill

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad