Dreger: Matt Hunwick on trade block

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's not that surprising, Cole has started to play really well again recently and Oleksiak made Hunwick expendable. Hunwick is a polarizing player with the Penguins, he was good at the start of the year and bad after he came back from his injury. I think he's definitely movable, he's a fringe #5/6 that is paid like a fringe #5/6. It's just a question of who is going to trade for him? You can trade him for a 4th round pick or a 23 year old AHL prospect, you can definitely do that. It's just who is going to do that?

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
2 more years at 2.25? Not sure anybody bites...

there's always someone, who needs to depth d-men and has the cap space.

Leafs fans were right though, this guy is brutal. He had good start to the season then he got injured and after coming back from injury he completely forgot how to play hockey....not to mention Ian Cole is much better than him, and a warrior in the playoffs with his shot blocking and physicality.

Good on JR to admit his mistake though..

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
It's not that surprising, Cole has started to play really well again recently and Oleksiak made Hunwick expendable. Hunwick is a polarizing player with the Penguins, he was good at the start of the year and bad after he came back from his injury. I think he's definitely movable, he's a fringe #5/6 that is paid like a fringe #5/6. It's just a question of who is going to trade for him? You can trade him for a 4th round pick or a 23 year old AHL prospect, you can definitely do that. It's just who is going to do that?

Solid timing lol, still think he's better than Hainsey?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I thought he was suppose to be an upgrade over Hainsey or so I was told. Where's Emp lol

He was supposed to be an upgrade on Hainsey, because Hainsey was like oil and water with the Penguins due to his poor skating and puck moving. Hunwick started out the season really well and looked like a good fit, and then he got hurt and everything went down the drain.

Solid timing lol, still think he's better than Hainsey?

1. Hainsey was a bad fit for the Penguins because he wasn't a strong skater and couldn't move the puck well.
2. Hunwick is a good skater that has fine puck moving talent, therefore he fits the Penguins system better than Hainsey does.
3. Therefore, Hunwick is better for the Penguins than Hainsey was.

Why do Leafs fans have to make all threads about the Leafs? No one cares, this isn't a Leafs thread. Congrats Hainsey has been good for you guys, he didn't fit with the Penguins and most Penguins fans don't miss him.

Last edited by a moderator:

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
He will bring a second round pick as a veteran D man who can be a 5th guy. He can be moved to a number of teams. the cap hit is in line with a decent lower pairing D man.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
He was supposed to be an upgrade on Hainsey, because Hainsey was like oil and water with the Penguins due to his poor skating and puck moving. Hunwick started out the season really well and looked like a good fit, and then he got hurt and everything went down the drain.

It's amazing that you're too dense to understand this. Let's lay it out for you nice and easy:

1. Hainsey was a bad fit for the Penguins because he wasn't a strong skater and couldn't move the puck well.
2. Hunwick is a good skater that has fine puck moving talent, therefore he fits the Penguins system better than Hainsey does.
3. Therefore, Hunwick is better for the Penguins than Hainsey was.

Why do Leafs fans have to make all threads about the Leafs?

I wasn't making it about the Leafs, it was more a direct comparison between two guys that switched teams basically. Your points are interesting but considering the fact that as much as you might hate it, Hainsey played a pretty vital role in that Penguins playoff D last year. This year the Pens D is legitimately worse depth wise(though you do have Letang back on the top end) and the the guy brought into replace Hainsey isn't working out at all.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I hope someone bites, Pens could use that 2.25 million in the offseason to sign Ian Cole, he's such an underrated D-man.

The Penguins shouldn't re-sign Cole regardless of what happens with Hunwick. They should plan on entering next year with Oleksiak-Ruhwedel as the bottom pair, and if they need to add a defenseman later in the season, use a 2nd round pick to add a Hainsey type of rental defenseman at the deadline. Those guys are available a dime a dozen every deadline, I would be completely comfortable doing that with the defense.

I wasn't making it about the Leafs, it was more a direct comparison between two guys that switched teams basically. Your points are interesting but considering the fact that as much as you might hate it, Hainsey played a pretty vital role in that Penguins playoff D last year. This year the Pens D is legitimately worse depth wise(though you do have Letang back on the top end) and the the guy brought into replace Hainsey isn't working out at all.

That is just blatantly untrue. Hunwick wasn't brought in to replace Hainsey, he was brought in to replace Daley (as bad as that sounds). The Penguins added Oleksiak, Hunwick and Letang and lost Hainsey, Daley and Streit, their defense is better on paper this year than what it was last year.

I will admit, Hainsey would have been a lot better when not in a top pair role than what he was for the Penguins, but even with that, I don't think any Penguins fans miss him. Oleksiak has been a gem, Maatta has come back into form and Dumoulin and Schultz have continued their strong play.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Pens D is in way better shape this season than last year. Not only because Letang is healthy, but Oleksiak has helped stabilize the bottom pair where Hunwick was suppose to play.

Ruh can’t even get in the lineup this season since Oleksiak came over.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013

This comes from someone who has no clue. The Pens depth wise is probably better this year than last. You still have seven competent Dman with Ruhwedel still there. Hunwick was a major mistake by the Pens. He is garbage.

Hainsey wasn't good for the Pens. Those who watched games know that. Don't try to make it out like we lost a good player to Toronto in RH. We didn't even try to resign him. That should tell you something about his play. and his former GM ... was a big fan of his in Carolina and personally acquired him in Pittsburgh. Not rocket science.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
Pens D is in way better shape this season than last year. Not only because Letang is healthy, but Oleksiak has helped stabilize the bottom pair where Hunwick was suppose to play.

Ruh can’t even get in the lineup this season since Oleksiak came over.

Oleksiak was a great add by JR. I had my doubts when we acquired him, but he has certainly added to that third D pair. He and Cole form a good one.

The fact Ruhwedel can't see action and he was a better Dman for the Pens last year than RH, tells you something out our top six. Ruhwedel is also a competent bottom D pair guy.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think there's a team that would take Hunwick, it has to be a team that lacks LD (Hunwick didn't look comfortable on RD) and needs some skating talent from their defense more than anything. On paper, he should fit really well with a guy like Oleksiak or Cole, guys known more for their physicality while not being incompetent with the puck. He just needs to be the LD on that pair. I think there would be a market for him, not a crazy one, but I think a couple of teams wouldn't mind to have him.

I think the Islanders are a fit, especially since Hickey is a free agent after the year. The Devils might make sense too. Maybe Buffalo would even take him in a potential Kane deal to make the cap work, their defense is pretty awful. Boston makes a little sense too, if they're not confident with Grzelcyk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad