Player Discussion Matt Grzelcyk

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
But here's the thing - at least the analytical crowd is giving examples and arguments towards why they view this. They put effort into it every time. Whereas everyone else is generally just saying "he's exposed in the playoffs, trust me." The only stat they actually use is plus/minus which can be highly flawed at times

Its not that difficult to go out and find at the very least a few clips of this to support your argument and i think that is why these conversations never go anywhere.

Yeah I agree the next step is actually someone providing the clips that tell the narrative, but I really think that either side could pull that together to prove their point.

But who has the time?

I guess all of us given how much time we have spent on the subject, lol.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
We will see how the playoffs go this year with a new system, but the Bruins just dealt a 1st and various other things for the second year in a row on another LHD. If the Bruins felt #48 was truly the player his analytics show why would they do this?
Because they need three of them and Orlov is really good?

Reactions: Ladyfan

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Yeah I agree the next step is actually someone providing the clips that tell the narrative, but I really think that either side could pull that together to prove their point.

But who has the time?

Yeah, I mean it's a big ask because looking at all of the goals against on YouTube may not even show enough of the play in the first place, then looking through entire games would be very tedious.

Reactions: wintersej

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
We will see how the playoffs go this year with a new system, but the Bruins just dealt a 1st and various other things for the second year in a row on another LHD. If the Bruins felt #48 was truly the player his analytics show why would they do this?
Pretty simple answer for me Lou - 2019-2020 roster had Chara and Krug, both left in the offseason.

2020-2021 the left side was:

Gryz (37 GP)-Zboril (42 GP)-Lauzon (41 GP)-Reilly (15 GP)

In one year it went from a strength to a huge need, which is why Reilly was subsequently re-signed and Forbory added before they realized they needed something more.

Reactions: LouJersey

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Point is if Gryz is truly a top pair like his analytics suggest why on earth would you dump all those assets on two more guys you would think will get more ice time when the games matter?

How do you honestly think the Bruins view him?
Well he is a perfect match for their all world 1D and plays with him. He’s an eraser 5v5 and would be PP2 for many teams in the NHL. His numbers are consistently elite year after year.

Adding Orlov is more a reflection of Forbort and Clifton IMO - he can play both sides. And in a luxury situation like we are in where we don’t need a top 9 forward because we’re stacked, why not add to the depth of the defense?

Grizz could be moved in the summer in a cap crunch but I’m willing to bet he’s not the guy they prefer to move.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
He is one of the absolute best in the league at the transition game, and that matters as much, if not more, than size and clearing the crease. The Bruins brass clearly believe it, and the coaches, too, because he is still a Bruin and still getting regular ice time. When was he last scratched or benched in-game not due to injury? 17-18 sounds right to me when Butch sat him for a game or two iirc.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Point is if Gryz is truly a top pair like his analytics suggest why on earth would you dump all those assets on two more guys you would think will get more ice time when the games matter?

How do you honestly think the Bruins view him?
It’s the all in move. Has nothing to do with gryz. Big strong and deep. Just how I like my D. Gryz is our token small dude. I’m good with that. Anyone who has seen him skate backwards across the blue line while stick handling the puck knows what I’m talking about ;)

I recently did an interview with Matt’s mother, Kathleen who gave me so quality insight about his hockey beginnings and journey to the NHL. This was my first interview since I began writing hockey articles eight months ago and was pretty cool to get the facts from someone so close to the player.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
He is one of the absolute best in the league at the transition game, and that matters as much, if not more, than size and clearing the crease. The Bruins brass clearly believe it, and the coaches, too, because he is still a Bruin and still getting regular ice time. When was he last scratched or benched in-game not due to injury? 17-18 sounds right to me when Butch sat him for a game or two iirc.

Though his ice time this season is his lowest since his rookie year.

Perhaps that will have a positive effect on playoff performance.

Reactions: Dr Hook

BourqueFromORRk4277

formerly POPNDOUGH
Mar 25, 2010
Somerville MA
Though his ice time this season is his lowest since his rookie year.

Perhaps that will have a positive effect on playoff performance.
Yeah, with Lindholm(and Forbort) on the team, he pretty much only plays even strength, which is 4th on the team close behind the big 3.

Having 2 working arms should have a positive affect, but having the forwards play well will help even more. Not getting beat defensively, covering trailers heading to the net, and skating to get open for transition passes would be a huge help.

Here's hoping the whole TEAM performs well in the playoffs.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

But who has the time?

The proof regarding Gryz was JM sitting him out. His stats should have mandated being dressed every game.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I certainly agree with you but to me it means with #27 with a broken foot Forbort had to dress for PK duties as #48 isn't utilized there.
It goes back to the organizations obsession with size and size only. Forbort is big, but he's not tough and he's not good. How do you beat a ferocious forecheck? With fast defenders who make quick decisions to pass or skate it out...guys who can retrieve quickly. Gryz, in limted time games 3-4 Bruins outscore the Cats 10-4. He then seems to be the scapegoat for the game 5 turnover and is scratched game six. Now the Bruins won game 3 and 4 with Florida having last change, meaning they could put whomever they wanted out when gryz was on the ice, and it had no effect on him.

I'm not even a huge fan of is, but he really got a raw deal this year. He deserved to play 7 games of this series, they were better with him and he was and is clearly better than Forbort and Clifton.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
It goes back to the organizations obsession with size and size only. Forbort is big, but he's not tough and he's not good. How do you beat a ferocious forecheck? With fast defenders who make quick decisions to pass or skate it out...guys who can retrieve quickly. Gryz, in limted time games 3-4 Bruins outscore the Cats 10-4. He then seems to be the scapegoat for the game 5 turnover and is scratched game six. Now the Bruins won game 3 and 4 with Florida having last change, meaning they could put whomever they wanted out when gryz was on the ice, and it had no effect on him.

I'm not even a huge fan of is, but he really got a raw deal this year. He deserved to play 7 games of this series, they were better with him and he was and is clearly better than Forbort and Clifton.
You won't get me to disagree but I am just thinking what their rationale must have been.

Reactions: LouJersey

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
Are we really going into another season with Gryz on the top pair? He seems fine in the regular season. It would be one thing if it was a subset of fans that complain about him being too small and soft for the playoffs but the coach and organization doesn’t trust him to be out there when it counts.

Besides #1 center this is the most glaring hole on the team.

Reactions: ShiftyNifty16

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad