Player Discussion Matt Grzelcyk

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
In a healthy lineup on the third pair at home with last change Grzelcyk because of his skills and smarts eats bottom 6 forwards alive

The Grzelcyk-Miller pairing is in the conversation for next third pairing in the league
Who sits though? I can't imagine Moore sits because he has been great.

Reactions: Strafer

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Grzelcyk was the best defenseman for the Bruins last night, so good with quick transitions and sneaky good on defense. Posters said he wouldn’t come close to Krug offensively, but he’s on pace for 41 points in his second season. Doesn’t look out of place or get exposed playing top pair minutes. I hope he’s a Bruin for years to come.

He played well on a night the D struggled. He has shown me a lot.

Not a fan of him and Krug killing penalties together of course.

I think his offense is close to being to the point where he can step in for Krug and the drop off is small.

In the playoffs there is only room for 1.

Chara-Mac
Moore-Carlo
Krug/Grizz-Miller

You can mess with that top 4 regular season but I think in the playoffs you need to prioritize size.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
I think the last stretch with everyone else injured has confirmed that he'll be a Bruin for a long time. Given the opportunity, he has talent to be a solid #2 defenceman as a partner to McAvoy or a leading 2nd pairing puck carrier.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
If his TOI diminishes when everyone returns healthy he’s already developed enough cache to give Sweeney a bargaining chip in trade talks.

I kind of remember Chia being enamored with him after his first post-draft year at BU.

Wonder if he'd do what he does best and overpay for him. They could certainly use a puck mover from their back end.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I kind of remember Chia being enamored with him after his first post-draft year at BU.

Wonder if he'd do what he does best and overpay for him. They could certainly use a puck mover from their back end.
In the off-season I don’t believe he would have brought back anything of value. But he has enhanced his reputation with his play in a top four role, so much that other GMs would take notice.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

i heard peter tried to trade for gryz early last season when he was in providence. b's weren't interested.
he may be my new favorite player. so smart, so quick and shifty. and born to be a bruin.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
My college buddy and orientation roommate (although neither of us slept in the room atleast at night) the great Danny Shannon who unexpectedly passed away 2 years ago was a long time member of the Bull Gang and introduced me to Grizz dad years ago.

I been going since the late 60’s with my folks and recognize all the people over there and Grzelcyk dad is always around.

I see him in the lobby between periods and have run into him leaving after the games a few times.

He’s a good egg and you can goof with him and next time I see him I may have to tell him I love his kid more than he does.

Matt Grzelcyk is near the top of my all time favorite players.

The Kevan Miller-Grzelcyk third pair is right up there with any ive ever seen a complete mismatch against bottom 6 lines as there is in the league

He will wear an A and needs to stay healthy and hopefully I’m at the game they present him with a gold stick for 1000 games in a Bruins uniform

He’s 6’1” this is Ryan Suter folks

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Every time I watch him play, I'm blown away by his skating ability. His acceleration is incredible, and the agility, oh my God. He is a Bruin for life IMO.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Grizz has become my 2nd favorite Bruin behind Bergeron. I love the guy and I can't stand all the 'trade him' talk because he is now an "asset." I would honestly keep him over Krug if it came down to it, though I want to keep them both. As we have witnessed, he is just as good on the right as on the left, plays good D, doesn't get beaten around too bad for a small guy, kills penalties, can run the PP.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
Grizz has become my 2nd favorite Bruin behind Bergeron. I love the guy and I can't stand all the 'trade him' talk because he is now an "asset." I would honestly keep him over Krug if it came down to it, though I want to keep them both. As we have witnessed, he is just as good on the right as on the left, plays good D, doesn't get beaten around too bad for a small guy, kills penalties, can run the PP.
I agree, absolutely love Grizz and would be really sad to see him leave, he just feels like a lifelong Bruin. I also think he is the most versatile D we have, he could literally play any position in the D left or right from first pair to third and do well. He is solid on the PP and could PK more than he does. I could see why he would be a good trade option because his value is skyrocketing and we have a lot of D that look good and are really close but I really really don't want to see him traded.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I never understood why the guy would get dumped on.

Has he made improvements to his current form since joining the team? Sure. But, he’s always been a very good “first pass” guy and his defensive efforts have always been decent. Better than Krug’s for sure.

As I said, I never understood why so much of this board loved dumping on him and I’m glad he’s getting the recognition he deserves now.

Reactions: 4ORRBRUIN

SpitfireIX

Jun 11, 2007
Grenville, Qc.
This guy already has my 7th man vote. So good position-wise, tremendous two-way hockey sense and competes every play. As good as Krug is on the PP, I found our PP was better when Grez was in Krug's spot on the 1st unit. He has surpassed Carlo. Our 3rd best all-around D is a toss up between Grez and Moore, healthy lineup or not.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
what an awesome player. he's just such a pleasure to watch. everything he does is silky smooth.

SpitfireIX

Jun 11, 2007
Grenville, Qc.
Grizz > Carlo, Miller.

D based on play this season should be:

Chara McCavoy
Grizz Moore
Krug Lauzon

These six togeather, if they play like they have been playing and Krug gets back to his old self would be pretty damn good.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Grizz > Carlo, Miller.

Chara McCavoy
Grizz Moore
Krug Lauzon

These six togeather, if they play like they have been playing and Krug gets back to his old self would be pretty damn good.

So 2 guys playing their off side?

Moore can handle it. Lauzon is no where near as good on his off side and Krug is even worse.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I love Grizz and the way he plays, but with Krug, Moore, UV, and Lauzon also on the left side (not even counting Chara), he might be the one that goes for a Top 6 F.

I think I would prefer dealing Krug, but as Dom pointed out yesterday, there are probably a number of teams that would value Grizz over Krug (due to age, contract, control).

Grizz may never have more value than now?

Reactions: OneManIsNoMan

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Grizz > Carlo, Miller.

Chara McCavoy
Grizz Moore
Krug Lauzon

How isn't Carlo in there? He's been excellent this season. Very confusing stuff. Also, it's McAvoy. He's going to be here a long time. Lets nip this horrendous spelling mistake in the bud.

Reactions: BBB24 and bryson21

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
I love Grizz and the way he plays, but with Krug, Moore, UV, and Lauzon also on the left side (not even counting Chara), he might be the one that goes for a Top 6 F.

I think I would prefer dealing Krug, but as Dom pointed out yesterday, there are probably a number of teams that would value Grizz over Krug (due to age, contract, control).

Grizz may never have more value than now?

Moving Grizz for anything less than a high end young forward prospect will be another in a long line of mistakes this team makes with it's young players.

Id move Krug in a heartbeat before him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad