Player Discussion Matt Grzelcyk

Status
Not open for further replies.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I love Grizz and the way he plays, but with Krug, Moore, UV, and Lauzon also on the left side (not even counting Chara), he might be the one that goes for a Top 6 F.

I think I would prefer dealing Krug, but as Dom pointed out yesterday, there are probably a number of teams that would value Grizz over Krug (due to age, contract, control).

Grizz may never have more value than now?

I would want to keep Gryz for those reasons that make him interesting to other teams, of course. But, you got to give to get of course. Problem is... how do you add someone with salary with only Gryz going out?

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I would want to keep Gryz for those reasons that make him interesting to other teams, of course. But, you got to give to get of course. Problem is... how do you add someone with salary with only Gryz going out?

Smarter people than me (Dom lol) have said that the B’s have enough room to deal Grizz for Saad (or similar money).

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
I love Grizz and the way he plays, but with Krug, Moore, UV, and Lauzon also on the left side (not even counting Chara), he might be the one that goes for a Top 6 F.

I think I would prefer dealing Krug, but as Dom pointed out yesterday, there are probably a number of teams that would value Grizz over Krug (due to age, contract, control).

Grizz may never have more value than now?
I agree, and if he can bring back a young middle 6 center with upside I would be willing to trade him. I would rather trade Krug but I would be blind to not see how our D could handle his loss now and going forward especially with Vaak, Zboril, and Lauzon knocking at the door.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
While I would be willing to trade the Gryz I would be very sad if he left, he feels like he should be here the way Bergeron and Marchand do.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Old college teammates pairing up at the nhl scene

Not everyday this happens

This could become something permanent.... seen nothing but good things with the Grz and Mcavoy pairing

Reactions: SoldiersOfFilth

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Such an elusive skater, you think he's stuck in the corner in his end and he can skate his way out of it most times.

He's our best defenseman right now, but probably #2 now that Charlie is getting his game back. Yet, people want to trade him away for players like Jesse Puljujarvi or worse :facepalm:

Reactions: Bun Cook

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Krug needs to go , so Grz can have the title of the only "shorty" D on the team

very good skater on tight spots

Reactions: Bun Cook

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
I don't think anyone wants to trade Gryz because of performance. He is just one of our more valuable pieces it seems for play and contract in a position we are rich with NHL talent in. Personally, I'd rather give up Krug than Gryz.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
Krug is elite. So, I would look to trade Gryz first unless Gryz is a true top pairing defenceman and Krug can't be re-signed.

Reactions: JCRO

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
It just feels like Grz has so much room to grow. If he were paired with McAvoy that might be a long-term fixture.

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
If Gryz is a true top pairing defenceman, then you could make an argument for trading Krug. But you can't justify trading someone who is ELITE at what he does (Krug) just because you like Gryz's all around game a little better.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
It just feels like Grz has so much room to grow. If he were paired with McAvoy that might be a long-term fixture.

This is my thinking as well. At this point Krug is what he is but I'm intrigued as to what Gryz could become. I just wish he was 3-4 inches taller & 20-25 pounds heavier...

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
The problem with having Gryz and Krug is they're both so small.

I'm starting to accept in the new NHL it's a tolerable risk however...

Gryz will never bring the offense [that we desperately need] from Krug.

Krug will never bring that same mobility in transition. Gryz avoids the forecheckers like a chess man playing checkers.

Need both. Losing one is a big blow.

mflo77

Jul 9, 2002
Visit site
Matt Grzelcyk will get a good / adequate forward in return. has most value and is expendable based on what we have in our system. Need a 2nd line Winger/ 3rd line C desperately. Krug will sign an extension in boston after july 1.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I think the lack of size from Krug and Grz is adequately covered by guys with good size like Carlo, Chara, Miller, Moore, McAvoy

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I think the lack of size from Krug and Grz is adequately covered by guys with good size like Carlo, Chara, Miller, Moore, McAvoy

come playoff time it becomes a different story. Not only do the little guys get beat up more but the bigger players becomes taxed trying to be physical for both

its better to just have one if possible

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
If Gryz is a true top pairing defenceman, then you could make an argument for trading Krug. But you can't justify trading someone who is ELITE at what he does (Krug) just because you like Gryz's all around game a little better.

If you are looking to trade for a good player with a sizable cap hit, trading Krug's contract makes the math work much easier on Boston's end. That's an important consideration.

Reactions: wintersej

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
This is my thinking as well. At this point Krug is what he is but I'm intrigued as to what Gryz could become. I just wish he was 3-4 inches taller & 20-25 pounds heavier...

Gryz also turns 25 in 25 days. He likely already is what he can become, and one thing he will never become is 4 inches taller or 25 pounds heavier

And while he is cheap this year and next If you sign him beyond that, he is going to get a great deal more expensive. Probably always a bit less than Krug, but I suspect his next deal will be over 4 mil per season if he is able to remain healthy

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Gryz also turns 25 in 25 days. He likely already is what he can become, and one thing he will never become is 4 inches taller or 25 pounds heavier

And while he is cheap this year and next If you sign him beyond that, he is going to get a great deal more expensive. Probably always a bit less than Krug, but I suspect his next deal will be over 4 mil per season if he is able to remain healthy

What does 4 inches and 25 pounds have to do with anything? So he can clear out all those huge power forwards from the crease that all the teams are icing these days? He's too small for the NHL . . . of a decade + ago. There will always be the odd bad matchup out there no matter who the D-man is unless you are talking the elite of the elite- the Drew Doughtys, the pre-ankle Erik Karlssons. Grizz isn't in that class, but 4 mill+ a season for what he brings is a nice contract for a highly mobile pmd who plays very solid positional defense.

Reactions: 4ORRBRUIN
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->