Matt Frattin

• Thread starter Vladimir Tarasenko*
  • Start date

Vladimir Tarasenko*

Drafted in 2007, 4th round, 99th overall. Didn't seem like he was going to amount to anything, putting up under-whelming numbers in the NCAA. However, this season he seems to have turned a corner.

In 37 games with The University of North Dakota, Frattin has 29 goals, 20 assists, and 49 points...

Does he have a shot at the NHL?

Anyone who has seen him play, how he's looked?

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
I'm really glad he's come around. He got in trouble with the law a couple of times which was bad but things are looking up for him now. Apparently, he's just very STRONG. NHL-caliber shot and great North-South speed.

sfo

Oct 13, 2008
Drafted in 2007, 4th round, 99th overall. Didn't seem like he was going to amount to anything, putting up under-whelming numbers in the NCAA. However, this season he seems to have turned a corner.

In 37 games with The University of North Dakota, Frattin has 29 goals, 20 assists, and 49 points...

AWESOME. BEASTLY. COMPLETELY DOMINANT. BEST PLAYER OF COLLEGE HOCKEY THIS YEAR.

haha. Yeah, I'm completely biased, we used to get our economics tests mixed up when i was in college. :laugh:

He's been absolutely amazing this season, no doubt. He's got all the tools to make it to the NHL.He's fast, good skater, physical, NHL caliber shot, big hitter, strong on his skates, always on the puck, loads of skill... I've seen him play live three times this season, and will see him again next weekend, and hopefully further down the road in the Frozen Four.

That said, it's always a transition moving from one level to the next so we'll all have to see what he can do when he makes the jump after college.

I recommend checking out the loads of videos of him on YouTube for a small sampling.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks

This interview maybe of interest to you....from the 2 good guys at The Pipeline Show

http://www.thepipelineshow.com/media_detail.php?show=1295931600&sn=6

SuperSaiyanBeastmode

May 20, 2010
Ontario
I want to know if he can translate his game and be a top 6 forward in the nhl(bozak,gilroy don't look even close to their hype, but butler looks good at least)I think the main thing we're worried about is his skating tbh. Still though looks like a solid prospect hopefully he wins the hobey baker!

birddog*

His skillset translates well into the pro game. He should be a top 6 player with an ability to score--his shot is NHL caliber now.

If he doesn't make the jump right away--expect half a year in the minors--but he's already a senior and won't take long.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Well, the major knock on him when drafted was his skating. I guess that has changed. The question now for him will be whether or not his game translates to the pro level, and whether or not he wants to play for the Leafs where he's got Kessel, Lupul, Kulemin, Armstrong, Brown & Orr as RWers ahead of him on the depth chart.

All he has to do is wait until August if he wants to become a free agent.

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
At times, I find it a little hard to delineate NoDak forwards because I think that Dave Hakstol does such a thorough job of molding players to fit his coaching style. Guys like Frattin, Jason Gregoire, Corban Knight, Chris Vande Velde, Darcy Zajac all play pretty similar games (with varying degrees of success), and in my mind, that goes straight back to Hakstol. I think it also explains why a little more individualistic player like Danny Kristo hasn't put up the numbers that some probably expected of him.

But back to Frattin - he's a better pure finisher than Vande Valde was, but I think the two players are really pretty similar. Frattin probably offers more aggressive board play, but I think Vande Velde was the better two-way player, and the better player in open ice.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Frattin is a great college player. He is a great goal scorer. But so were the likes of Ryan Potulny, Jeff Taffe, Junior Lessard, Shane Joseph and many more WCHA vets. His overall point totals again are nice this year but players like Sterling, Sertich, Earl, Lasch, Pohl, Hartigan and more.

Being a senior and having played one full year in the AJHL. He is all ready 23. He may end up in the NHL one day. But i see him as a bottom 6 guy. High energy, make you pay if you play with your head down or leave him wide open. But nothing more than that.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I think he's a top 6 forward in the NHL, or he'll struggle to find a role. His shot is just deadly.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
I think he's a top 6 forward in the NHL, or he'll struggle to find a role. His shot is just deadly.

He reminds me a lot of Cal Clutterbuck. I would not call Cal a top 6 guy on the wild. Koivu, Havlat, PMB, Cullen, Lats, Brunno and Mittens. Though he is close.

Frrattin should have been drafted in 06 with Clutterbuck. I do not like comparing OHL and WCHA numbers at all. Clutterbuck was 3rd on his team in scoring his draft year. Frattin led his AJHL team in scoring. Year after draft Frattin is tied for 10th at NoDak and Clutterbuck is again 3rd.

Think what kind of numbers Cal would put up in the WCHA this year? He is on his third year in the NHL.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Well Frattin had a very solid first out in the last game of the year, and Burke seems pretty high on him going into next year.

One game doesn't tell all obviously, but he did impress me with scoring instincts, knowing where to be in the right place, him and Kadri had some impressive chemistry the times they were on the ice together.

Any possiblity that Frattin(power guy) and Kadri (dynamic) could bookend a good third line? (Maybe Bozak as center?)

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
Well Frattin had a very solid first out in the last game of the year, and Burke seems pretty high on him going into next year.

One game doesn't tell all obviously, but he did impress me with scoring instincts, knowing where to be in the right place, him and Kadri had some impressive chemistry the times they were on the ice together.

Any possiblity that Frattin(power guy) and Kadri (dynamic) could bookend a good third line? (Maybe Bozak as center?)

Armstrong has 3rd line RW locked up.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Frattin looked fantastic in his first game. His wrister was like a frickin Phaneuf slapper and he didn't look slow at all, his skating seemed fine, good hitter, smart player, all in all he should be a third-liner next season if he continues to impress. Armstrong shouldn't be a third-liner imo. The new NHL's teams are more successful with 3 scoring lines and one grinding/checking line and Armstrong is not a scorer.

I believe 'locking up' positions for next year, for the most part screwed the leafs this year because of the goaltending situation. Reimer looked the best in camp but Giggy and Gus had their spots locked up. So I say if he is good enough, then put him on.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Frattin looked fantastic in his first game. His wrister was like a frickin Phaneuf slapper and he didn't look slow at all, his skating seemed fine, good hitter, smart player, all in all he should be a third-liner next season if he continues to impress. Armstrong shouldn't be a third-liner imo. The new NHL's teams are more successful with 3 scoring lines and one grinding/checking line and Armstrong is not a scorer.

I believe 'locking up' positions for next year, for the most part screwed the leafs this year because of the goaltending situation. Reimer looked the best in camp but Giggy and Gus had their spots locked up. So I say if he is good enough, then put him on.

Armstrong would a be a 3rd liner for almost every team in the NHL.

JacobimMugatu

HF Strength Thread
Jul 8, 2009
f=253
www.facebook.com

You couldn't be more wrong about Armstrong.

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
Armstrong has played 410 games with 201 points... thats not just a checker. I would prefer to trade Bozak and put Kadri in that number 3 C spot and then that opens up a wing spot for Frattin.

Shaun_W_W

Jan 7, 2007
Well, the major knock on him when drafted was his skating. I guess that has changed. The question now for him will be whether or not his game translates to the pro level, and whether or not he wants to play for the Leafs where he's got Kessel, Lupul, Kulemin, Armstrong, Brown & Orr as RWers ahead of him on the depth chart.

All he has to do is wait until August if he wants to become a free agent.
But like pretty much everyone thought he was signed right after his season finished.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
He will be an even better 4th line player on the Leafs as Kadri Bozak and Frattin light it up...

So after 1 game, Frattin will be lighting it up?

:laugh:

There is not a chance Armstrong moves out of that 3rd line slot for Frattin. Loved Frattin's game but he has to prove much more and Army is a very valuable player on the 3rd line that brings a little bit of everything. Arsmtrong is what Frattin should hope to be.

puckguy11

This Space for Rent
Jan 31, 2010
Somewhere in MN
I saw him twice this season in college...he was a man amongst boys out there, and he'll be a good piece for the Leafs. Maybe not first line right away, but he can do some damage.

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
I think he can be physical enough to be a bottom six guy, but he's got some nice instincts and a great shot too that would warrant play with skilled linemates.

Michael Gary Scott

Toronto Maple Tron's
Apr 27, 2010

That isnt what Kadri was drafted for.

Frattin can be a 3rd liner that could easily fill into a 2nd liner when needed. Hefty shot, strong on his skates and plays with intensity. A real Burke player. (Though drafted under the JFJ regime. Ironic no?)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad