• Start date

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
He has 31 goals on 125 shots.

That's a 25% shooting percentage.

Unsustainable.

Probably, but it's impressive to see him sustain the trend. Last season in the regular season he had a 21% shooting percentage. In the playoffs he chipped in at 29%. Right now he's scoring at 30%.

Would be an exciting team offensively if him and JVR break out.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

Unsustainable.

Decent prospect though.

Its a 25 year old AHL player scoring against lower calibre goalies.... If this was the NHL id understand, but considering this is a lesser league and the guys shot is almost NHL-star calibre (too bad his head isnt up to par), i dont think its that ridiculous. Isnt Hall's and Eberle in the same range?

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Was it Colby Armstrong who called Fratting a mini-Kulemin? I still like that comparison, with Frattin being more of a shooter. He's just a bulldog out there with a good shot. I can see him being a consistant 20-30 goal scorer. Our best forward prospect imho, not a bold claim with the main competition being Kadri and Colbourne.

Fearless Leaf*

His skill-set is awesome, the guy is a bull on skates, his shot is deadly, strong physically, and he can play well in all 3 zones. The only knock I would have on him is that he could learn to use his line mates, but other than that he is solid.

Easily our third best prospect behind Rielly and Kadri.

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
What's the deal with his low assist numbers? More than a GPG this year but he hasn't had a single assist and only 7 in 42 AHL games total.

His goal totals are really impressive but is he a puck hog?

Not at all, plays a lot with colborne and he seems to set matt up for one timers and they cycle pretty well. Not a puck hog though.

jedimyrmidon

Nov 30, 2012
Toronto

Unsustainable.

Decent prospect though.

Pretty impressive shooting percentage, and he has maintained it for a while. But yeah, who in the NHL even remotely approaches those kinds of numbers. Not sure I'd peg him as a Top 6 player in the NHL consistently capable of scoring 20 goals. He's certainly a tough guy, but is anyone concerned he may be a bit one-dimensional especially at the NHL level?

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
Pretty impressive shooting percentage, and he has maintained it for a while. But yeah, who in the NHL even remotely approaches those kinds of numbers. Not sure I'd peg him as a Top 6 player in the NHL consistently capable of scoring 20 goals. He's certainly a tough guy, but is anyone concerned he may be a bit one-dimensional especially at the NHL level?

he does enough in his own end to be capable at the NHL level, not sure if it will be second or third line. Randy Carlyle apparenetly really likes him and used him a lot when he took over.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo

I wouldn't say he's a tough guy, he plays gritty but he's not much of a fighter IMO. He got pummeled by Foligno and I wouldn't call Foligno a tough guy.

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
He's definitely not a puck hog, but he's no playmaker. His passing is average, I'd say; he doesn't have the greatest vision for using his mates, but he's such an incredible finisher. A reason he doesn't have many assists is because 1) Other Marlies can't score for ****, and 2) His shots, honestly, don't often lead to rebounds.

Big fan of Frattin. Think he's got 25 goal, grinding potential.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
I wouldn't say he's a tough guy, he plays gritty but he's not much of a fighter IMO. He got pummeled by Foligno and I wouldn't call Foligno a tough guy.

He's not a "tough guy" but he's not soft either, he's built like a truck and has sent people flying who were trying to bodycheck him (Beauchemin, McQuaid come to mind).

Foligno has 3 inches and roughly 20 pounds on him though and he's also a monster so it's not really surprising he beat up Frattin the way he did.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
He's not a "tough guy" but he's not soft either, he's built like a truck and has sent people flying who were trying to bodycheck him (Beauchemin, McQuaid come to mind).

Foligno has 3 inches and roughly 20 pounds on him though and he's also a monster so it's not really surprising he beat up Frattin the way he did.

Yeah I agree with what you said, I never meant to say the guy was soft, he's definitely gritty as hell but I don't see him being much of a fighter at the NHL level. Like I said earlier, he's my favorite Leaf prospect.

Gutchecktime

Dec 24, 2005

frattin.jpeg

This guy tried to hit Frattin.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Frattin will be an NHL player if only because of his strength and skating. He isnt the fastest guy but hes got good agility for a guy of his strength.

Hes the type of guy you watch him play and wonder why the score sheet isnt better for him. That being said, in the NCAA he showed remarkable improvement over time, and its very possible that partially occurs in the NHL.

I was absolutely blown away by his skill in his first NHL game, and hes the type of guy you tend to like more than you probably should

Clippy

Sep 22, 2011
His skill-set is awesome, the guy is a bull on skates, his shot is deadly, strong physically, and he can play well in all 3 zones. The only knock I would have on him is that he could learn to use his line mates, but other than that he is solid.

Easily our third best prospect behind Rielly and Kadri.

In my opinion Frattin is a better prospect than Kadri. I'm probably not the only one with the same feeling.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
In my opinion Frattin is a better prospect than Kadri. I'm probably not the only one with the same feeling.

Frattin is soon to be 25, he may be much further along in development and more physically mature but he is no where near as talented or smart (in the hockey sense) as Kadri. He is easily a more safe prospect, but their ceilings are no where close, however put them together and you have one of the most well rounded prospects in the league.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
It always frustrates me how Frattin rarely hits. Hes strong as hell on his skates and 90 percent of his ighlight reel "hits" are actually him just taking a hit and sending a guy flying.

If he developed a mean streak and actually initiated the contact more we might be talking about one of the bigger hitters in the NHL

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Good skater, great shot, solid defensively, very strong on his skates. Hits like a truck, but doesn't hit as often as he should. The main weakness to his game is hockey IQ. He has tunnel vision with the puck, doesn't really see his team mates, is always looking to rush in and shoot, reminds me a lot of Jason Blake in terms of his mentality with the puck.

He's good enough to be a dominant goal scorer at the AHL level, so far he's played 42 career AHL games (regular season and playoffs combined), and has scored a ridiculous 31 goals. However, at the NHL level he's not a superstar based on his raw ability alone, he's going to have to learn to use his team mates better. He's already a decent 3rd liner at the NHL level, and I think he has 2nd line upside if he can work on his vision, but I can't see him becoming a 1st line player. He's a poor man's Dustin Brown, similar skating/build/shot, but doesn't hit as much, and doesn't have Brown's hockey IQ.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He's definitely not a puck hog, but he's no playmaker. His passing is average, I'd say; he doesn't have the greatest vision for using his mates, but he's such an incredible finisher. A reason he doesn't have many assists is because 1) Other Marlies can't score for ****, and 2) His shots, honestly, don't often lead to rebounds.

Big fan of Frattin. Think he's got 25 goal, grinding potential.
Average for an NHL player? I strongly disagree. I'd say he's arguably the worst on the team when it comes to using his team mates among Leafs who actually have the puck a decent amount (i.e. excluding guys like Komisarek, or 4th liners). I think he definitely IS a puck hog, and is well below average in terms of playmaking/passing.

I still like him as a player, he brings a lot to the table with his shot, his skating, his strength, and his solid defensive play, but his vision is quite poor.

Subbanned

Nov 4, 2011
Definitely an interesting prospect for the Leafs. As much as I'd love to write him off for his relative age and shooting percentage, it's getting to the point/sample size where you can probably say he'll be one of the leagues better shooters in terms of %. That being said, it'll be interesting to see how it translates to the NHL. I can see him being sort of like Michael Ryder but a lot more physical (and a better skater). That'd make him good for 20-30 goals and probably up to 50 points. The type of player that can swing between third and second lines depending on need.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Average for an NHL player? I strongly disagree. I'd say he's arguably the worst on the team when it comes to using his team mates among Leafs who actually have the puck a decent amount (i.e. excluding guys like Komisarek, or 4th liners). I think he definitely IS a puck hog, and is well below average in terms of playmaking/passing.

I still like him as a player, he brings a lot to the table with his shot, his skating, his strength, and his solid defensive play, but his vision is quite poor.

I'm sorry but I find that funny. He is just fine in terms of his passing. I could give you a couple examples of his vision/passing. From the NHL too. He tries too drive to the net much more than he maybe should but his passing and vision is fine.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto

Unsustainable.

Decent prospect though.

He also had 36 goals in 44 games in the NCAA the year before; I wonder what his shooting percent was then.

I'm not saying his shooting percentage will stay that high, but it doesn't really matter what your shooting percentage is IMO if you continually score a lot of goals. I see him hopefully as a 20 goal man who can play in the top six, but is a great third liner.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
ok so people knocking him because he cant stop scoring....

Shoting % will go down eventually, Assists total should go up then? 0 assists is unsusaintable.people trying to knock him for having such a good shot. His shot is just too good for the AHL

conway902

Feb 4, 2012
If he could ever score at even half the pace in the nhl i would be amazed.

Since the 2010-11 his University and AHL totals
86 Games played 67 Goals:amazed:

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
He's like a bulldog on skates. High shooting % for sure, but it's been high at every level he's played at, so I think he's just naturally a good shooter. I can see him being a 15 goal guy that plays a gritty, decent two way game. Like Darcy Tucker if Darcy Tucker played with worse linemates lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad