Matt Frattin

• Thread starter Vladimir Tarasenko*
  • Start date

KlattNazty

Feb 3, 2011
Bump.

Performed decently this year for the Maple Leafs, but its his play in the AHL that is most promising.

AHL
- 23 regular season games, 14 goals, 4 assists
- 8 playoff games, 5 goals, 2 assists

At times he has looked like a man amongst boys, and has upped his physical game for the marlies. Definitely plays with the speed needed for NHL too.

Scored what, 8 goals and 7 assists for the Leafs this year, what might next year look like and what kind of upside does he possess?

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Bump.

Performed decently this year for the Maple Leafs, but its his play in the AHL that is most promising.

AHL
- 23 regular season games, 14 goals, 4 assists
- 8 playoff games, 5 goals, 2 assists

At times he has looked like a man amongst boys, and has upped his physical game for the marlies. Definitely plays with the speed needed for NHL too.

Scored what, 8 goals and 7 assists for the Leafs this year, what might next year look like and what kind of upside does he possess?

It looks like he'll at least be a 3rd line guy who brings size and hits hard. Also has a decent shot.
I'd say his ceiling is a 2nd line power forward but it all depends how much he works on his offence and being consistent.

bigfatfist

Apr 17, 2012
Frattin has a good combination of build/speed. Not surprised he's doing well in the AHL. From what I've seen (so far), I could see him being a 20 goal guy. I'm not as bullish as some, but still think he could be a very good 3rd line who brings a nice combination of energy and skill.

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
He's beauty. Should be good for 20-15 next year if on the 3rd line. If given around 15 mins a night he could hit 40-45pts. Kid has a dynamite shot, but needs to learn how to use it at the NHL level.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I like his game, I am not saying that because I am a Leafs fan. He does a lot of the dirty work. A poor man's power forward.

Doesn't have the hands I don't think. Will have to rely on his work ethic.

Reminds me a lot of Peter Zezel.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Dude needs to use his line mates. Other than that, he is ok 3rd liner.

Yeah, definitely. As a rookie, it's understandable - he tended to be a bit of a puck hog and sometimes do the Ol' Jason Blake and shoot directly into the goalies chest from super far out when it should be dumped.

I expect him to really step up as a great 3rd liner next year.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Just came off his rookie season. Hes learning to find a balance in the physicality of the pro game. Its quite evident hes learning how to stand strong in these AHL playoffs. Banging bodies. Burke said at the deadline that Frattin is our best prospect. I'll look for the video. I believe what Burke is saying and feel that he (in the right system) can score 25-30 goals. Hes most definitely a PF.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
My favourite thing about him is how solid he is on his skates. He may not be huge, but whenever he makes contact (hitting or getting hit) it's like he's made of lead, guys just fly off him. Other than that he's physical, hard working, has very good speed and a very good wrister. His hockey IQ is a bit lacking, he's got the Jason Blake type "shoot first, second and third" mentality, and he's not gonna blow you away with his hands, but I see him being a very good 3rd liner, with 2nd line upside. I think he'll have a solid season in the NHL on the 3rd line next year, he's better than Armstrong and Lombardi, so hopefully they don't take his icetime just because they've got more experience/bigger contracts.

Frattin counter-hitting:

Frattin hitting:

Last edited:

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
Bump.

Matt Frattin put up 10 goals and 13 points in the Marlies first 13 playoff games last season, before he badly hurt his knee, causing him to miss the Calder Cup finals and spend a whole summer rehabilitating. Fast forward 6 months, and he has played 6 games in the AHL so far, and has scored 7 goals.

Thus far in his career, Frattin has played 42 career AHL games. In those games, he has 31 goals. He clearly has a knack for the net, and unlike some AHL phenoms, he has NHL calibre size, strength, and speed. I think Matt Frattin is an underrated darkhorse prospect who could actually become a fairly good NHL scorer.

Your thoughts?

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Bump.

Matt Frattin put up 10 goals and 13 points in the Marlies first 13 playoff games last season, before he badly hurt his knee, causing him to miss the Calder Cup finals and spend a whole summer rehabilitating. Fast forward 6 months, and he has played 6 games in the AHL so far, and has scored 7 goals.

Thus far in his career, Frattin has played 42 career AHL games. In those games, he has 31 goals. He clearly has a knack for the net, and unlike some AHL phenoms, he has NHL calibre size, strength, and speed. I think Matt Frattin is an underrated darkhorse prospect who could actually become a fairly good NHL scorer.

Your thoughts?

What's the deal with his low assist numbers? More than a GPG this year but he hasn't had a single assist and only 7 in 42 AHL games total.

His goal totals are really impressive but is he a puck hog?

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
What's the deal with his low assist numbers? More than a GPG this year but he hasn't had a single assist and only 7 in 42 AHL games total.

Doesn't need to pass it when he has that cannon. Teammates look to him to finish the plays off, and its worked.

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585

Nope, just a deadly finisher.

I swear most of his goals are Kessel-esque snipes, except Frattin likes to shoot on the off-wing.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario

No. He's actually a good playmaker too. A couple examples in the NHL even, would be the set up on Colborne's first NHL goal and also near the end of the year, a slick pass to the Grabo goal in Montreal.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
He has 31 goals on 125 shots.

That's a 25% shooting percentage.

Unsustainable.

Decent prospect though.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
He has 31 goals on 125 shots.

That's a 25% shooting percentage.

Unsustainable.

Decent prospect though.

Doesnt that argument lose steam when you consider its over two years with a serious injury in between?

I agree it will probably drop off somewhat, but I dont believe it will be substantial

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->