Value of: Matt Dumba for C/RW

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Brown is weirdly interesting (he scores a hell of a lot more than I expect him to), but I think we'd want someone with more upside.

This is exactly how i want everyone to keep thinking. I want Brown under the radar, because the kid is perfect in his role. Scores more than he should, moves up and down the lineup, great PKer, great forechecker and signed cheap.

folks can just keep on walking by the Brown section....i will happily keep him.:D

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Leafs should not trade Brown, EVER, guy bleeds Maple Leafs, he will be the backbone if Leafs ever win the champion (you need those guys who are willing to go over the top), and this come from a Jet fan.

I like the kid but he's not untouchable if the right deal is on the table

Sometimes you have to give up something good to get what you need

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
I'd consider something around Lehkonen for Dumba from Montreal. Other Habs fans may not like it because we love Lehkonen and already have Weber & Petry and the right side, but it could be an option.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Only way it would work is if the EDM takes Ennis and his 4.6M off our hands also, and even then I don't see it. Koivu was just re-signed for another 3 yrs. at 5.5M, Staal is around for another two years, and Ek is a decent young prospect C who plays excellent D. Paying RNH 6M to be a #3C doesn't work for the Wild.

I would guess that EDM is far more interested in a young scoring winger like Nino or Zucker who can be a wingman for McD or LD, but again, I don't see anything of realistic interest for the Wild on the EDM roster.

RNH and the Wild simply aren't a fit.
RNH would play over EK. I'm fairly positive he'd be the 2C

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
RNH would play over EK. I'm fairly positive he'd be the 2C
As it stands he'd be 3C behind Koivu and Staal, at least for the next season or two. However, if Fletcher was looking to get dramatic he could just turn around and flip Staal in another trade; he should fetch a pretty nice return.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
As it stands he'd be 3C behind Koivu and Staal, at least for the next season or two. However, if Fletcher was looking to get dramatic he could just turn around and flip Staal in another trade; he should fetch a pretty nice return.
Yeah thats fair. But that could be a good move if the wild are looking to get younger

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I could see Dumba moving for a mid-20's center, but if he's moved for a RW he'd have to be much closer to Dumba's age. Moving him for someone that's UFA age (Kane, JVR, Grabner) at any position would be terrible.
not disputing that, but that's why you get one guaranteed 2nd and a reasonably good chance at an additional 2nd.
Grabner as a 25ish goals W is fair production swap straight up.
The picks were specifically to address youth factor.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
not disputing that, but that's why you get one guaranteed 2nd and a reasonably good chance at an additional 2nd.
Grabner as a 25ish goals W is fair production swap straight up.
The picks were specifically to address youth factor.
Obviously this is all very speculative, but in my head the only way we move a player like Dumba is to get a player with similar age/potential coming back. I don't think it'd be possible to build a package around UFA-age players and picks.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Any interest in Meier?
Kind of? I feel like he falls into that "hasn't shown enough in the NHL yet" bucket, but I haven't seen him play a single game so I can't say much. I know he's been projected to be the kind of player that the Wild tend to love, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were high on him. Kind of a mystery box for me, though.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Alex Nylander and Jake McCabe
Nylander might very well prove me wrong, but right now it remains to be seen that he'll ever actually play in the NHL. Not a great year in Rochester last season and... do we even know what his injury is right now? If we move Dumba for a forward I think it has to be one that we're relatively confident will put up more points that Dumba this year.

Adding McCabe would just block out the other two LD we're ushering into the NHL right now: Olofsson and Reilly. They're both doing pretty well, so I don't think we'd want McCabe.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Non-Dumba defense:

Suter - Spurgeon
Reilly - Brodin
Olofsson - Quincey

Meh.

I agree with others, I don't he's going anywhere given how the expansion draft turned out.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I don't think Dumba is that untouchable. His ~$2.5m was needed just as much as he was as a player for this season. Wild have some cap space opening up at the end of the season and Dumba is due a raise. His next contract (probably last RFA) is hard to put a number on right now.

If a good offer comes along during the season (Reinhart for instance) GMCF should jump all over it. Brodin, Spurgeon, and Suter (in some combo) should be able to shelter an Olofsson/Reilly enough that the loss of Dumba isn't missed too much.

With the number of good, but not great wings the Wild have it could open up a FWD for 4D+ pick trade. Coyle, Granny, Nino, or Zucker should bring a good return.

IODCPiper

Jan 26, 2016
Just want to know if there would be any interest in Dumba around the league if he was available. I don't think he is available at the moment, but if Wild continue to play like they have and want so shake up things, he could become available.

Dumba's cap hit is 2.55 m and this is the last year of his contract, he is RFA.

I would be looking at young C/RW as a return for Dumba. The Wild doesn't have much cap space, so the player coming back to the Wild cannot have higher cap hit than Dumba has.

So any offers?
Brock nelson for dumba

Kase

May 1, 2016
Brock nelson for dumba

Was already offered on the first page, but I personally wouldn't trade Dumba for him as I'd want somebody who is little bit younger and has more upside. But could see Fletcher being interested in a player like Nelson if they were looking to trade Dumba.

Just noticed that this is the final year of his current contract, so there could be some difficulties to fit his new contract under the cap.

Reactions: IODCPiper

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

Staal will be around for at least one more year after this one, and I wouldn't be shocked to see him re-up for another short deal. MN agrees with him....he is on pace for another 60+ pt. season. RNH would still be a 6M #3C. Not happening.

I'm not in love with Dumba, but for all his mistakes he adds an offensive charge in the line up, is tough, skates well, is a RHD, and is still young, especially for a Dman. Until the Wild get some RHD replacements he is going to be hard to move. Brodin is competent at playing the off side, but Reilly and Olofsson look awkward out there trying to hold the puck in at the Blue line. Makes you realize how easy Brodin made it look when he was a rookie playing with Suter.

I just don't get Reinhart. Maybe I miss all of his good games, or the the good things he does are so subtle that they escape casual notice.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Thought I'd bump this. Replacing Quincey with Prosser, and the decent or better showings by Reilly, Olofsson, Murphy(?!) make it possible to move Dumba for the right deal(young NHL forward with impact potential...similar to Dumba, but at the forward position). Dumba(23yo) is quietly having his best year so far, and is likely to get even better. His stats so far this year;

43gp 7g 14a 22:41 AVG. TOI

WhoTagz

Jan 28, 2017
Pennsylvania
Just want to know if there would be any interest in Dumba around the league if he was available. I don't think he is available at the moment, but if Wild continue to play like they have and want so shake up things, he could become available.

Dumba's cap hit is 2.55 m and this is the last year of his contract, he is RFA.

I would be looking at young C/RW as a return for Dumba. The Wild doesn't have much cap space, so the player coming back to the Wild cannot have higher cap hit than Dumba has.

So any offers?

Something tells me the leafs got to be wanting him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad