Value of: Matt Dumba for C/RW

Kase

May 1, 2016
Just want to know if there would be any interest in Dumba around the league if he was available. I don't think he is available at the moment, but if Wild continue to play like they have and want so shake up things, he could become available.

Dumba's cap hit is 2.55 m and this is the last year of his contract, he is RFA.

I would be looking at young C/RW as a return for Dumba. The Wild doesn't have much cap space, so the player coming back to the Wild cannot have higher cap hit than Dumba has.

So any offers?

WeRa

Nov 2, 2017
IMHO if Dumba is on the table... it will be of great interest to him. Young, promising...

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Lots of teams would be interested in Dumba. But if you can't take more than his 2.55 Million cap-hit back in return, then it'll be real tough to get a satisfying offer.

I assume Minny wouldn't trade him unless they are making the team better, so forget any offer with draft picks.

Edit: Just a couple names to throw out there. Sam Reinhart in Buffalo, Mikko Rantanen in Colorado, Dvorak or Domi in Arizona? All those teams might be looking for a shakeup as well.

Kase

May 1, 2016
Lots of teams would be interested in Dumba. But if you can't take more than his 2.55 Million cap-hit back in return, then it'll be real tough to get a satisfying offer.

I assume Minny wouldn't trade him unless they are making the team better, so forget any offer with draft picks.

Yeah the cap really limits the possibilities.

If they are trading him during the season, I'd imagine they'd want back a player who makes the team better like you said. If Wild misses the playoffs and decides to retool/rebuild, then I could see them taking picks and prospects as a return too, but that would be during the off-season.

Kase

May 1, 2016
Edit: Just a couple names to throw out there. Sam Reinhart in Buffalo, Mikko Rantanen in Colorado, Dvorak or Domi in Arizona? All those teams might be looking for a shakeup as well.

I'd have interest in all of those players, but I don't see Colorado trading Rantanen or Arizona trading Domi or Dvorak. I could be wrong.

Reinhart I could see being available, but is Dumba the type of dman Buffalo would be looking as a return for him? I'm not sure.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Wild basically had to get rid of Scandella,Haula and Tuch to keep him. They are not gonna trade him after few games.

Kase

May 1, 2016
Wild basically had to get rid of Scandella,Haula and Tuch to keep him. They are not gonna trade him after few games.

You are very likely right. But if Wild continues to play like they have, the owner might put pressure on Fletcher to change the course of the team, and then I could see Dumba becoming available for a trade.

But first we need to see if Reilly or Olofsson is ready to play top 4 minutes with Brodin. If they are, I'd use Dumba as a trade bait.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003

Colorado considers Rantanen to be one of their franchise foundation pieces going forward (at least Sakic has suggested that in his comments). The other issue is that Dumba does little for Colorado's organizational needs.

Colorado has Erik Johnson and Tyson Barrie as RHDs and Cale Makar, Conor Timmins, and Nicolas Meloche as RHDs in their system.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Colorado considers Rantanen to be one of their franchise foundation pieces going forward (at least Sakic has suggested that in his comments). The other issue is that Dumba does little for Colorado's organizational needs.

Colorado has Erik Johnson and Tyson Barrie as RHDs and Cale Makar, Conor Timmins, and Nicolas Meloche as RHDs in their system.

Makes sense to me. I don't know enough about Colorado, just thought the player fit the profile. Scratch Rantanen, then. Gonna be a small list of names. How many players are good enough, cheap enough, and available? To be traded for Dumba, they're going to have to be pretty stinking good.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
You are very likely right. But if Wild continues to play like they have, the owner might put pressure on Fletcher to change the course of the team, and then I could see Dumba becoming available for a trade.

But first we need to see if Reilly or Olofsson is ready to play top 4 minutes with Brodin. If they are, I'd use Dumba as a trade bait.
I agree with this. I don't think Fletcher had any plans to be making trades in the middle of this season, but if we stay in the bottom-1o through Thanksgiving and into December the pressure is going to be on, hard. Injuries have certainly been a factor, but at this point we're mostly healthy and still can't get wins. I think the team is still capable of going on a tear, but if they don't do it and do it soon...

Anyway, Dumba is probably at the top of the list to move if the pressure builds. There've been reports that he's almost been out at least twice in the past 2 years or so (once for RNH, once for Drouin), he's the sort of player that there's always demand for, and we may have an internal replacement for him in Reilly. Dumba's also an RFA that's going to need a new contract this offseason.

The cap hit is a problem, but it's possible Dumba wouldn't be the only one getting traded if it came to this.

Last edited:

Aldous Snow

Jun 11, 2005
How about Brock Nelson? Isles could also throw in a spare defenseman since the roster is tight.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Not sure about the teams needs, but some other players fitting the description: Spooner, Namestnikov, Point, Kyle Connor.

Kase

May 1, 2016
How about Brock Nelson? Isles could also throw in a spare defenseman since the roster is tight.

I'm not too familiar with him as I haven't seen many Islanders games over the years. What kind of player he is? Wild couldn't take another dman back without sending someone to your way on top of Dumba. Maybe Stewart as an add?

I personally would want someone who is little bit younger and has more upside, but I could imagine Fletcher being interested in Nelson.

Last edited:

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'm not too familiar with him as I haven't seen many Islanders games over the years. What kind of player he is? Wild couldn't take another dman back without sending someone to your way on top of Dumba. Maybe Stewart as an add?

I personally would want someone who is little bit younger and has more upside, but I could imagine Fletcher being interested in Nelson.

Or Ennis? :naughty:

Kase

May 1, 2016
Would love Dumba in Detroit, Just wouldn't want to give up either Larkin or Mantha for him though.

I was thinking about Detroit being interest in Dumba if he was made available, but isn't Detroit like really close to the cap ceiling? That would make the trade between the two teams really hard.

How has Athanasiou looked this season? He is one player I've been interested in and he would fit in well with the Wild I think. Obviously not for Dumba, and I don't know if the Wild have anything else that would interest Detroit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad