Proposal: Matt Duchene to OTT

El Diego

Jan 2, 2009
Chabot as the main piece for Duchene is what makes sense in a vacuum but it doesn't make all that much sense for Ottawa imo. I think Chabot is more important to the Sens than he would be to many other teams.

Unless the Avs are willing to do something like Duchene for Ceci + Dzingel++ (picks/prospects) then I dunno if I think the fit is there. If I were Sakic and I was gonna trade Duchene I would think I could get more from another team (unless the Sens actually are willing to talk Chabot).

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Ottawa just can't afford to move the pieces likely required to acquire Duchene, likely take Chabot and or White perhaps more and personally I am not moving either at this time.

The Avs will get someone to pay a pretty penny for Duchene and Lando if they go that route.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
He has 2.5 years left on his contract. Three playoff runs.

Right now he is not legally allowed to talk extension according to NHL rules...

Not bad but I think the Sens would need to dump some cap and the Avs would want a roster player in return.

I think Brassard would go the Avs way + Chabot + 1st with the Avs adding Beauch @50% (if the rumors are true) or a guy like Grigorenko...

Brassard + Chabot + 1st for Duchene + Beauch (50%) is just absolutely brutal. No. No, god, no.

Dzingel + Ceci + 1st is my offer, I wouldn't do it if I was Sakic but I wouldn't give much more than that. Throw in a middle 6 prospect like Paul or Perron maybe

And just because you think Ceci sucks, it doesn't mean anything. He doesn't suck, and my view reflects that of NHL GMs far closer than yours does.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
Brassard + Chabot + 1st for Duchene + Beauch (50%) is just absolutely brutal. No. No, god, no.

Dzingel + Ceci + 1st is my offer

And just because you think Ceci sucks, it doesn't mean anything. He doesn't suck, and my view reflects that of NHL GMs far closer than yours does.

Ceci isn't a blue chip prospect no is he a top pairing capable D. If the Avs trade Duchene for a top 4 D, they're going to get one much better than Ceci.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Ceci isn't a blue chip prospect no is he a top pairing capable D. If the Avs trade Duchene for a top 4 D, they're going to get one much better than Ceci.

Ceci has done quite fine playing top pair minutes, in a shutdown role, on a playoff team.

23:30/game (2nd on team)
3:10 SH/game (1st on team)
Most D-Zone starts on the team

If the Avs are able to get a much better D than Ceci (like Barrie :laugh:) good on them. But I think that will be a mistake for most other teams (unless its a Jones-Johansen type trade... which I would say has backfired on Nashville anyways)

No one is saying Ceci is enough alone, though

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Ceci had a rough start to the season but has really come on lately. Very impressed with him. I agree Duchene could fetch a better d-man in a one for one trade, but what team is in a position to do that?

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Chabot looked great at the WJC and is therefore a hot item at the moment - in reality, he's never played an NHL game and is a totally unknown NHL quantity.

A package around Chabot and White is likely what Duchene would demand - if Ottawa wants to compete, that's a great trade. If they feel they're not ready to compete, I understand the apprehension in trading two great prospects.

Probably doesn't make much sense to pursue anything else.

miser

Aug 2, 2005
Ottawa
D doesn't have top be a "blue chip" prospect like Chabot. Young D could include Wideman or Claesson from the current roster and Englund or Harpur from the BSens.

Colorado will be a while in rebuild so why not offer a mix of current NHLers and prospects.
Wideman/Claesson, Englund/Harpur, Lazar and a pick.
This may not make the HFBoards headlines, but I venture to guess that it will be closer to what Colorado actually get for Duchene.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
D doesn't have top be a "blue chip" prospect like Chabot. Young D could include Wideman or Claesson from the current roster and Englund or Harpur from the BSens.

Colorado will be a while in rebuild so why not offer a mix of current NHLers and prospects.
This may not make the HFBoards headlines, but I venture to guess that it will be closer to what Colorado actually get for Duchene.

Lol.

The entire premise for trading duchene is to finally "fix" their
Defense.

Corrected. Confused Dennis with Chris.

I'm comfortable in saying that that makes it even worse.

Last edited:

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia

Thats-Gold-Jerry-Gold-Kenny-Bania-Quote-Gif-On-Seinfeld.gif

I'm sure they'll get a package that's worth less than the biggest piece they got in the trade for O'Reilly. This place is always good for a laugh.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Lol.

Defense.

UFA, and 33 year old Dennis wideman is an absolutely atrocious offer.

There's absolutely no logic in this proposal whatsoever.

Dennis Wideman plays for Calgary, he's pretty obviously talking about D prospect Chris Wideman. Which admittedly doesn't make sense either.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Lol.

Defense.

UFA, and 33 year old Dennis wideman is an absolutely atrocious offer.

There's absolutely no logic in this proposal whatsoever.

It's Chris Wideman, who's actually worse than Dennis but at least youngish. His offer is a pile of junk for a top line center/wing.

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver

Wow.....horrible. And I'm a fan of Wideman, but he's not a Young D (27 yo), and has no where near enough value for Duchene.

The deal starts with Chabot + for Duchene. (Broken record, but some Sens fans don't seem to be getting it)

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado

Yeah...no. Moving a top 20 center in the NHL will surely get us more than a large group of trash. We moved RoR (going into a UFA year) for a blue chip defensive prospect, a young forward (who at the time was still an unknown quantity), a fairly special prospect (JT Compher) and an early 2nd (essentially a late 1st).

Since we'd be taking all the risk acquiring Chabot, since he is indeed an unknown quanity in the NHL, we'd most likely be asking for quite a bit for him.

Chabot, Dzingel, Francis Perron and a 2017 1st. This realistically in the ballpark of what it'd take to even get Colorado considering. I know it looks like a lot from the Senators. But it's all futures. Futures are great but they won't all pan out. We need insurance if we're losing a #1C.

Plus I love the prospect of having Dzingel and Barrie on the same team.

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
As an Ottawa fan I wouldn't do Ceci and Chabot for Duchene, call me crazy.

Wouldn't even bother offering Ryan though as he has negative value in my mind.

Of course you wouldn't.

Ryan doesn't have negative value, despite HF bias and "urban legends". Negative value is for contracts like Horton (not insured), Clarkson, etc. Ryan's contract can be traded, it's just that the money has to work both sides. Ex : people were probably saying that about Phaneuf's contract, but with a money twist (14 M$ dumped to Toronto) he is now a solid contributor on the Sens.

Ryan is still easily a top-6 forward with some of the best hands on his team, just overpaid by 1 or 2 millions a year. I'm sure many teams would be happy to pay him 5-6 M$ a year...

Duchene
Mironov

For

Chabot
Dahlen
Ottawa 1st 2017
Lazar

I'd rather keep Dahlen... so remove Mironov and Dahlen and it's more appealing. Doesn't mean I would do it though. Chabot is gonna be good, and Duchene creates a logjam at Center with Turris, Brassard and Pageau (not to mention White and Brown)

Dzingel + Ceci + 1st is my offer, I wouldn't do it if I was Sakic but I wouldn't give much more than that. Throw in a middle 6 prospect like Paul or Perron maybe

Despite what HF will think, Dzingel + Ceci + 1st is already a very good package. Hall is better than Duchene and he returned "only" Larsson. Yes Larsson is better than Ceci but Dzingel + 1st is a big price to pay for that difference.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015

This may not make the HFBoards headlines, but I venture to guess that it will be closer to what Colorado actually get for Duchene

Oh my....

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Of course you wouldn't.

Ryan doesn't have negative value, despite HF bias and "urban legends". Negative value is for contracts like Horton (not insured), Clarkson, etc. Ryan's contract can be traded, it's just that the money has to work both sides. Ex : people were probably saying that about Phaneuf's contract, but with a money twist (14 M$ dumped to Toronto) he is now a solid contributor on the Sens.

Ryan is still easily a top-6 forward with some of the best hands on his team, just overpaid by 1 or 2 millions a year. I'm sure many teams would be happy to pay him 5-6 M$ a year...

I'd rather keep Dahlen... so remove Mironov and Dahlen and it's more appealing. Doesn't mean I would do it though. Chabot is gonna be good, and Duchene creates a logjam at Center with Turris, Brassard and Pageau (not to mention White and Brown)

Despite what HF will think, Dzingel + Ceci + 1st is already a very good package. Hall is better than Duchene and he returned "only" Larsson. Yes Larsson is better than Ceci but Dzingel + 1st is a big price to pay for that difference.

Good thing Duchene can play multiple positions just as Brassard.

Hall isn't better than Duchene and if we want to dig up trades what about the one the Avs made with Buffalo? Or does that one not fit the narrative?

PS

Not to mention that nobody in that package is close to Larsson in terms of value.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

This is not the Cody Ceci to Colorado thread. And half of your own fanbase agrees that Ceci is nothing special. So if they can see it, odds are other Gms see it as well. Especially with all the talk of him being a casualty of the expansion draft...

I don't even want that guy on my team unless he comes very cheap.

Your offer is atrocious.

If you want something in a store, you either pay the price (or atleast close to it) or you leave the store empty handed.

You don't offer 40 percent on the dollar and then bash the store owner or his products once he laughs at you.

That will get you banned from the store rather quickly.

Ceci + Dzingel + 1st is a laughable offer. Absolutely horrible.

Either Chabot ++ or stop calling.

It is Ok if you don't like it and don't want to do a deal. But please stop with those horrible counteroffers...

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
He has 2.5 years left on his contract. Three playoff runs.

Right now he is not legally allowed to talk extension according to NHL rules...

Not bad but I think the Sens would need to dump some cap and the Avs would want a roster player in return.

I think Brassard would go the Avs way + Chabot + 1st with the Avs adding Beauch @50% (if the rumors are true) or a guy like Grigorenko...

I don't think Ottawa would have to include a 1st if Brassard is the second piece to Chabot, honestly I think it's more likely the Avs would have to add a small piece like a 2nd or 3rd

Avs44

May 16, 2011

How much money do you want to bet that the deal Duchene does get, if he is traded, won't be the pile of trash you just offered?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't see Ottawa having any interest in Duchene at full value. They just don't have a pressing need to add a LW/C, so prying away their top prospect is pretty much a non-starter.

Chabot is a piece that would only be moved for an elite center, imo, and Duchene is simply not enough to entice Ottawa to give him up. It's not that the value is off, but rather that Ottawa needs a bigger upgrade to it's number 1 center to make it worthwhile, and adding Duchene just creates budget issues down the road.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I don't think Ottawa would have to include a 1st if Brassard is the second piece to Chabot, honestly I think it's more likely the Avs would have to add a small piece like a 2nd or 3rd

Avs don't even have much interest in Brassard.

But they need a roster player of some kind in return.

And either Brassard or Ceci are probably the most expendable pieces with a high caphit.

In reality the Avs won't have much interest in either aside from that.

I would certainly not accept a downgrade from a 1st to a 2nd just for Brassard.

Lets just not make a deal if that would be required.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
I don't see Ottawa having any interest in Duchene at full value. They just don't have a pressing need to add a LW/C, so prying away their top prospect is pretty much a non-starter.

Chabot is a piece that would only be moved for an elite center, imo, and Duchene is simply not enough to entice Ottawa to give him up. It's not that the value is off, but rather that Ottawa needs a bigger upgrade to it's number 1 center to make it worthwhile, and adding Duchene just creates budget issues down the road.

What makes you think that another team will have an even better center available would even think cohabit is close to enough. It's more likely that chabot wouldn't even be the best piece in the trade.

The better the center, or as you say elite, the more likely it's impossible to get that player in the first place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad