Dreger: Matt Duchene Mega-thread:Habs, NSH, NYI, OTT inquired - Part IV

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
The tweet itself specifically says there are two variations of the trade.

Doesn't that pretty much indicate that it's snow's interpretation of "meeting demands"

Doesn't sound like it's sakic identifying the 3 specific pieces he wants and snow agreeing. Otherwise, how could there be 2 variations.

Sounds like more media spin.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Reread what I said again, you're absolutely misrepresenting my argument.

Oiler fans said absolutely no to [Hamonic] level players for Hall because they were certain they could land a [Subban, Pietrangelo, Doughty] player, so why on earth would they settle for what we were offering? As such, many hockey fans (except Oiler fans) would agree Larsson is closer in value to Hamonic than to Subban/Doughty.

Now Avalanche fans are saying absolutely no to [Hamonic, Pulock, Pelech, DeHaan] for Duchene because they're certain they can land a [Chabot, McAvoy, Hanifin] level player, so why on earth would they settle for what we are offering?

The interesting part of this is that the Oilers agreed to a trade once they had a player who fit their age range in mind.

Perhaps the Avs are waiting for someone of the same ilk to be available. Because let's be real, McAvoy, Hanifin, Chabot - they may never become even as good as Hamonic is now. But they're likely to, and they fit the age range better. This is what Sakic is after, or had better be.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal

Oiler fans said absolutely no to [Hamonic] level players for Hall because they were certain they could land a [Subban, Pietrangelo, Doughty] player, so why on earth would they settle for what we were offering? As such, many hockey fans (except Oiler fans) would agree Larsson is closer in value to Hamonic than to Subban/Doughty.

Now Avalanche fans are saying absolutely no to [Hamonic, Pulock, Pelech, DeHaan] for Duchene because they're certain they can land a [Chabot, McAvoy, Hanifin] level player, so why on earth would they settle for what we are offering?

Yeah but the thing is the difference between a Subban and Doughty and a Chabot or Sergachev is enormous. Sky high. So I can understand that EDM fans were wrong in asking for Subban but the Avs asking for Chabot is not a stretch at all lol. There is a huge difference between Subban and Chabot. A world of difference.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Snow is among those willing to overpay.

I don't see how MD would return more in the offseason than now with the likes of Snow and Bergevin trying to save their jobs. Why do you think Sakic will get more in the offseason?

Because teams like the Isles will likely still be in during the offseason, plus you have teams currently out of the playoffs (Detroit, Carolina, Jersey, Arizona, etc) that need forward help that could jump in.

Without knowing the exact offers out there, its tough to know if Sakic should pull the trigger or not. For instance, I don't think he gets much more than Hamonic + Barzal + 1st if that is indeed an offer. And if the Avs don't like Hamonic, he has value and can be flipped. But, if the offer is more along the lines of Pulock/Nelson + MDC + 1st, he may be able to get more.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I bet Barzal goes the other way... sort of unknown fact- Sakic's son is in the Seattle Thunderbirds organization(50 man protected list/Tbirds draft pick) and Sakic has become quite familiar with Barzal the past couple years as a person

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Yeah, not really stalling as much as Sakic is being thorough (if the deal does hit his asking price). There are a lot of interested parties, he's going to call them all back and say "I have an offer for top 4D, top prospect, 1st, and minor piece, can you beat it?". If no team beats it, then he'll likely make the deal with the Isles.

But how do you know, for all we know we could've been offered Hanifin but Sakic turned it down because he was dead set on getting Slavin. I mean I know he's being thorough, he's a very meticulous guy, I'm just worried he's a little scared that he's asking for way to much to make up for his nervousness of moving the face of the franchise.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
I bet Barzal goes the other way... sort of unknown fact- Sakic's son is in the Seattle Thunderbirds organization(50 man protected list/Tbirds draft pick) and Sakic has become quite familiar with Barzal the past couple years as a person

No doubt Sakic would want Barzal, question is whether he is someone Snow is willing to give up.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

Barzal has to be involved imo

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia

I'm sure Kono has bigger influence here than Chase playing there.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
IMO Snow needs to do this... even if it means losing Barzal... otherwise I can see him losing Tavares soon as a UFA if no major changes are made

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
No way Shrebak and a 1st "fell through" thats an awful offer... Gotta assume the isles would gladly give up more

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

Only difference is Larsson >>>> Hamonic. Hamonic wouldn't have pulled the defense together like Larsson is doing right now. So your argument is not valid.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah but the thing is the difference between a Subban and Doughty and a Chabot or Sergachev is enormous. Sky high. So I can understand that EDM fans were wrong in asking for Subban but the Avs asking for Chabot is not a stretch at all lol. There is a huge difference between Subban and Chabot. A world of difference.

:banghead: It's not about the difference in value between Chabot & Subban.

It's about a fanbase assuming other significant offers on the table when in reality those offers are simply pure fabrications made up by the fanbase. Maybe another team is willing to part with an asset like that, maybe not.

But simply assuming they are, and then using those assumptions in trade negotiations ("why would we settle for Pulock when we can get someone far better?") to give themselves additional leverage.

Meanwhile an increasingly high amount of insiders are saying the opposite, Snow has put the best offer on the table for Duchene and it's up to Sakic to meet it or not.

Ahnotamoose

May 31, 2011
Montreal
But how do you know, for all we know we could've been offered Hanifin but Sakic turned it down because he was dead set on getting Slavin. I mean I know he's being thorough, he's a very meticulous guy, I'm just worried he's a little scared that he's asking for way to much to make up for his nervousness of moving the face of the franchise.

I have no idea, that's just my interpretation of the tweet haha. Looking at the other prices paid (and feeling it as a Sens fan yesterday), Sakic should absolutely not feel scared about what he's asking for. Stick to his guns, get what he wants or wait until the draft when more teams enter the fray, then he will get his price.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Only difference is Larsson >>>> Hamonic. Hamonic wouldn't have pulled the defense together like Larsson is doing right now. So your argument is not valid.

If only I had a nickel for every time I heard the "your argument is not valid because my players are so much better than yours" justification :laugh:

Just a classy, well though-out, researched opinion free of any hint of bias, right?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I have no idea, that's just my interpretation of the tweet haha. Looking at the other prices paid (and feeling it as a Sens fan yesterday), Sakic should absolutely not feel scared about what he's asking for. Stick to his guns, get what he wants or wait until the draft when more teams enter the fray, then he will get his price.

That's what I'm hoping for! Guess we will see what happens, really hope he doesn't **** it up :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: