Dreger: Matt Duchene Mega-thread:Habs, NSH, NYI inquired - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
I know it sounds crazy, but Tavares may become available as well. If NYI miss the playoffs this year and he enters his last year under contract without an extension and the team not knowing where they may play next, he might go to UFA or be offered in a trade.

I'd take Tavares over Duchene.

I'm sure Carolina would be near the top of Tavares list too:sarcasm:

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
If that does end up being the line where the two teams disagree, Sakic is under no pressure to move on and explore other teams offers. Where as Snow looking to make the playoffs and make a move to help convince JT to stay, along with his general big balls nature, would be more likely to pull the trigger.

I'm not saying it isn't likely for the deal not to happen, but if it does its more likely that its because Snow pays up.

Also its generally the deals where fans "wouldn't be happy, but would get over it" that are the most likely to end up happening.

Tavares has said about a hundred times that he's not leaving.
Av's fans are gonna be underwelmed at the return they get for Duchene. Either that, or he ends up not being dealt.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Didn't even know the Isles were really interested until last night. My friend said he heard(not sure where) that it was something like Hamonic, Nelson, and Dal Colle. That seems like a bit much.

1calledsteve

Dec 17, 2013
Long Island
Didn't even know the Isles were really interested until last night. My friend said he heard(not sure where) that it was something like Hamonic, Nelson, and Dal Colle. That seems like a bit much.

If that's the rumour then that's an acceptable deal from the Islanders perspective especially with expansion draft coming up. Isles don't have to give up either of their top 2 prospects that's a win.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Well then the Canes are not interested.. Cause that is never gonna happen.

Canes seem to be trending downwards lately so maybe if they luck out in the lottery, the problem will solve itself.

But if not.. Good luck getting anyone better than Duchene in the trade market in the next few years...
You will need it..

People in glass houses.

And obviously having Duchene isn't a cure all, as we can see in the standings.

mapletreemarty

Jan 26, 2017
Thunder Bay
Canes aren't interested in Duchene unless the price drops to Fleury or Bean++. There is a reason the buzz has died down and the Canes have stopped scouting Colorado. Canes aren't trading away Faulk, Slavin or Hanifin for 2 years of Duchene. LeBrun and local media both stated it on the same day.

Hall? Seguin? Johansen?...yeah, players like Duchene are never available...:sarcasm:

Except the fact that you're not going to get Hall, Seguin, Johansen, Duchene etc. for Fleury/Benn ++

Also why is 2 years of Duchene being treated like a pending UFA getting traded as a rental at the deadline??

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I'm sure Carolina would be near the top of Tavares list too:sarcasm:

Probably not, though I've heard he could care less about all the attention, so that would be a plus in the Canes favor. :laugh: That said, if the Canes make a couple of reasonable moves before hand to shore up some holes (goalie being a key need) we could be positioned well to offer him a very good salary with a chance to win.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Tavares has said about a hundred times that he's not leaving.
Av's fans are gonna be underwelmed at the return they get for Duchene. Either that, or he ends up not being dealt.

I doubt we'll be more underwhelmed by the duchene return than we were about trading ROR for Pysyk & a 2nd.

Ice Crusher

Apr 10, 2011
Quebec City
Except the fact that you're not going to get Hall, Seguin, Johansen, Duchene etc. for Fleury/Benn ++

Also why is 2 years of Duchene being treated like a pending UFA getting traded as a rental at the deadline??

This is so aberrating...People were actually using this card on ROR when we were trying to trade him. Now that Duchene has 2 more full seasons to his contract, they are using this card: "He's not that good but we will give you this for him".

Also, Avs are not in same situation as Oilers when they traded Hall for Larsson. Oilers ownership were pressuring Chiarelli to get a deal done. In the situation Avs are in right now, they are in no rushing need to trade either Duchene/Landeskog to get what they want. I'm sure if there are not any appealing offers coming in, Sakic will gladly keep them and build the D from within. Just take the ROR deal in comparison while ROR was still RFA, Sakic waited for the right offer to come in and both fanbases were pretty much happy with what they got.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
What historical comparables are people using to help gauge Duchene's potential return?

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
What historical comparables are people using to help gauge Duchene's potential return?

I believe it should be close to the RyJo/Jones trade.

But a lot of people who have no idea what they are talking about are using Hall/Larsson.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
MB's position on moving Sergachev is pretty clear:

https://www.nhl.com/news/montreal-gm-not-willing-to-let-go-of-prospects-in-trades/c-286801890

“Personally, I believe we have the tools necessary,†he said. “In terms of trades, the state of things right now, I want to be clear on this, of giving young players like Sergachev for a fix is not happening. I will always look to improve the team, but if the price to pay is our young players who will be in the organization for the next 10, 15 years, I won’t do that.â€

Does getting Duchene or Landeskog still happen without Sergachev?

Maybe, but unlikely IMO.

Aspirine

Lateral Move at Best
Sep 21, 2010
Montreal
Sergachev + Scherbak + DD + 1st 2017
Do it Bergevin, does waaay more sense than Subban for Weber you moron.

Pacman33

#teamZ
Feb 9, 2017
Yea, cant take gms too seriously this time of year. They will use the media to attempt to inflate value of their players while lowering it on other teams players. Plus they cant sound desperate to other teams. Need to maintain appearences

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Depending on how much you want to buy the rumored asking price from ICB (who has broken a decent amount of Isles stuff lately), it looks like the Avs fans were way off base on what they thought they were going to get.

Nelson + Pulock + MDC is nowhere near the Hamonic + Barzal + 1st package that many were throwing around. Interested to see where this goes.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site

What I find interesting is that he is mentioning Sergachev but not Juulsen. So maybe Juulsen is available?

Sergachev is closer to the NHL so I can see why Montreal would prefer to keep him.

Ice Crusher

Apr 10, 2011
Quebec City
What I find interesting is that he is mentioning Sergachev but not Juulsen. So maybe Juulsen is available?

Sergachev is closer to the NHL so I can see why Montreal would prefer to keep him.

Do you seriously think that Juulsen would be the main piece in a deal for Duchene? If he would be part of the deal, he would probably be as a secondary piece. Avs need a defenceman that has the potential of turning the franchise around. And I clearly don't see guys like Beaulieu or Emelin being these kind of players in a trade for Duchene.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Do you seriously think that Juulsen would be the main piece in a deal for Duchene? If he would be part of the deal, he would probably be as a secondary piece. Avs need a defenceman that has the potential of turning the franchise around. And I clearly don't see guys like Beaulieu or Emelin being these kind of players in a trade for Duchene.

I don't believe the Avs will get a #1 defenseman for Duchene. That is because if they lose Duchene, they are then missing a #2 Center. So they are better off going after a #2/#3 defenseman that they can get along with a center forward prospect or 1st round pick that they can turn into a #2 center.

So something like Juulsen, 1st, prospect would make more sense to the Avs I think.

Ice Crusher

Apr 10, 2011
Quebec City
I don't believe the Avs will get a #1 defenseman for Duchene. That is because if they lose Duchene, they are then missing a #2 Center. So they are better off going after a #2/#3 defenseman that they can get along with a center forward prospect or 1st round pick that they can turn into a #2 center.

So something like Juulsen, 1st, prospect would make more sense to the Avs I think.

Not really...that is only your perception of what Colorado would need but that is not what they are looking for. They want a future/established top 4D that has the potential of becoming a top-pairing D. Sakic has mention it many times. The only realistic deal with the Habs would have to involved Sergachev, nothing less.

Chacal667

Jul 14, 2012
Montreal

Juulsen and Sergachev could become the first pair for years to come, I know the Habs need a top 6 center but I'm afraid since the McDonagh for Gomez. Maybe they should keep both Juulsen and Sergachev and just develop Galchenyuk.

Pacman33

#teamZ
Feb 9, 2017

The problem is nobody they are getting is a #1 d. Some might have that ceiling but avs are taking all the risk. There as much a chance a guy turns into a bust then a #1 d. I realize sakic might not get exactly what he wants but can guarentee if he makes a move that someone in the deal has to have a huge ceiling. The trades where a couple decent players that are duchenes age make no sense for the avs. We arent going anywhere for a couple years. Sakic trading duchene for players that at best will turn into a 2/3 line center or a 3/4 defenseman wont change anything. A team aquiring duchene gets a difference maker and a #1 center on most teams with no risks. If your a good team, you will have him for 3 playoffs at least

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad