Confirmed with Link: Matt Cooke (Released from Wild)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildfish

Jul 13, 2011
Siberia, ND
Hey if he keeps his nose clean and helps us win a Stanley Cup I don't give two s**** about him being on this team, end of story.

How about if he's a washed up waste of a roster spot with a three year albatross contract? What if his "performance" in the Playoffs is indicative of his future performance for the Wild?

Wildfish

Jul 13, 2011
Siberia, ND
95% of Pitts fans already miss him. They know what he brought, and supposedly his positives far outweighed his negatives. .

So you depend on Pit fans to form your opinions? Cool. But some of us form our opinions based on watching the player for ourselves over many years in the NHL.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
How about if he's a washed up waste of a roster spot with a three year albatross contract? What if his "performance" in the Playoffs is indicative of his future performance for the Wild?

While there are some contracts on this team that have me scratching my head a bit, calling a 3 year $2.5 million AAV deal an "albatross contract" is pure hyperbole, IMO.

Sportsfan1

Jun 9, 2012
State of Hockey

2.5 Is hardly bad at all, and if he is a disaster next year you use your last amnesty buyout, but he won't be that bad, still is a solid NHL player when his head is screwed on straight.

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
So you depend on Pit fans to form your opinions? Cool. But some of us form our opinions based on watching the player for ourselves over many years in the NHL.

You can watch him all you want..fact is. The guy had LESS PIMS than Clutterbuck. MORE goals than Setoguchi and MORE points than Bouchard in the last Full NHL season.

He is a pretty good player for a 3rd line role, in fact he is one of the better agitators in the game. I don't give a crap about his rep. Give him a chance.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Why not keep Nystrom then?

I think the point of his statement was a contract of this size isn't going to be the thing that stops a team from doing what it wants. it isn't an albatross. Nystrom was here, didn't work out. I liked him, but it didn't work out. Cooke hasn't had the chance to not work out yet. :)

also someone is going to point out that cooke is a much better player than Nystrom.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Nystrom left TWO YEARS AGO! And who knows why Fletcher decided to part ways with him...Only speculating, but my guess is he wasn't a good fit, either on the ice or in the dressing room.

Probably on the ice but he did well and responded well in Dallas. Just saying, Cooke could end up being another Nystrom

LordFletcher

Jun 18, 2012
Tonka-Wayzata, MN
Probably on the ice but he did well and responded well in Dallas. Just saying, Cooke could end up being another Nystrom

Cooke will be the Cooke we saw in Pittsburgh and will hopefully produce the same types of numbers.

I really don't see how this thread can continue on and on why the crying and what ifs. Let the season play out a bit..........

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
and really, so what if cooke ends up like Nystrom did here (and how Nystrom did elsewhere for that matter). What if Rolston had been the Rolston from Boston while here?

Casper

30 goal grinder
Mar 23, 2010
MN
and really, so what if cooke ends up like Nystrom did here (and how Nystrom did elsewhere for that matter). What if Rolston had been the Rolston from Boston while here?

Nystrom was no where as proven as Cooke, you're more than smart enough to know this. dont ***** to *****

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
Nystrom was no where as proven as Cooke, you're more than smart enough to know this. dont ***** to *****

that wasn't my point. Someone brought up the word "albatross" and it applies to neither player. People just like using it in place of "bad contract" (which it would be if Cooke ends up as productive as Nystrom). At the end of the day the Cooke contract isn't important enough to blacken the name of a GM.

edit: also see my post a few above this. :D

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
So many people on the first few pages were angry at Fletcher.

Nearly everybody except for Pens fans and HDZx was hating on Cooke and calling him a dirty player. Love it.

Granted, we're only a few games into the season, but I'm loving his play so far. Great signing already IMO.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I was never down on the Cooke signing from the beginning. But I've never been higher on it until now.

I can understand the knee jerk vitriol that was spewed-forth earlier in this thread, however. Matt Cooke's history with the Wild wasn't the greatest, same goes for his overall history in the League.

Based on his recent play with Pittsburgh, I was convinced that we wouldn't see the Matt Cooke of old come back as he knows his career is on the line. But I never thought he will come in and add such a vital piece to the make-up of this team.

Very ingenious moves over the summer by Fletcher to move out Seto and Clutterbuck and bring in Nino and Cooke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad