Confirmed with Link: Matt Cooke (Released from Wild)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
I knew from the start that this was going to be a really good signing. Smart move by Fletch.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Just curious, but why do you hate Bertuzzi and not Cooke?

They both have ended careers, though I'd say Cooke's track record of nastiness is much more lengthy than Bertuzzi's.

Everything Cooke has ever done is at least on some level forgivable. And he seems genuinely changed and ready to put things behind him.

Bertuuzi on the other hand is first and foremost, a giant dick. His comments to Wild fans waiting to buy game 6 tickets in 03 are the roots of my hate.

The Steve Moore incident is the whole rest of the tree. That was almost literally attempted murder on ice. There was no hockey play there. That was premeditated assault and after an incident like that I think Bertuuzi has no business playing hockey anywhere. I wouldn't even want him coaching a peewee team. Furthermore, the last time I looked, he was pulling all kinds of crap in the civil suit that Moore filed against him. It's probably still dragging on.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Everything Cooke has ever done is at least on some level forgivable. And he seems genuinely changed and ready to put things behind him.

Bertuuzi on the other hand is first and foremost, a giant dick. His comments to Wild fans waiting to buy game 6 tickets in 03 are the roots of my hate.

The Steve Moore incident is the whole rest of the tree. That was almost literally attempted murder on ice. There was no hockey play there. That was premeditated assault and after an incident like that I think Bertuuzi has no business playing hockey anywhere. I wouldn't even want him coaching a peewee team. Furthermore, the last time I looked, he was pulling all kinds of crap in the civil suit that Moore filed against him. It's probably still dragging on.

Do you know if it is Canadian or United States where the civil suit was filed?

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Figured I'd merge his buyout thread with his signing thread. His career with the Wild has come full circle.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
All in all, I appreciated his service. I think he provided a little something that we needed at the time.

From the glimpses inside the locker room we saw (particularly during last year's playoffs when he was suspended), he was a good locker room guy, too.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
He did well. Good PK guy, scored some timely goals for us and didn't commit many atrocities either. Yeah, he was probably overpaid, but considering we handed Torrey Mitchell $1.9m, not by much.

It sucks to see him bought out, but it was also a necessary move business-wise. I never thought I'd say this, but... Thank you Matt Cooke. You did well.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
Thanks Cooke, I liked you. That knee on Barrie was stupid, but I liked you. You play for the team and want to win.

1046 games in the NHL, that's something huge.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i believe cooke tried his best to clean up his act and he played better than i expected however i will always believe CF made a mistake signing him.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008

Oddly enough, I went the other way on that - I always thought it was kinda cool that he would engage in trash talk with our fans. Plus, it made it all the more satisfying when we won. I actually liked Bertuzzi until the Moore incident (no forgiveness for that).

I hated the Cooke signing nearly as much as I hated the Simon signing. Glad he's gone.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
It was time to move on, but he was much much better what I feared. Appreciate his effort and moral as a Wild. Wish all the best.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Unsurprisingly, he cleared waivers.

I am an attorney, and I am confused by the unconditional release talk.

General an unconditional release would only happen if both sides agree to end the contract. And I don't see Cooke agreeing to that because he stands to make $3 million this year from the Wild and no other team is going to pay him that.

Did Fletcher tell him that the Wild would cover any payment gap? Is that even allowed?

J22*

I am an attorney, and I am confused by the unconditional release talk.

General an unconditional release would only happen if both sides agree to end the contract. And I don't see Cooke agreeing to that because he stands to make $3 million this year from the Wild and no other team is going to pay him that.

Did Fletcher tell him that the Wild would cover any payment gap? Is that even allowed?

I would assume that it's written either in the CBA or in each SPC that the contract can be bought out without the players consent.

I would try to find it for you but I'm tired of getting my ass kicked by the CBA.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I would assume that it's written either in the CBA or in each SPC that the contract can be bought out without the players consent.

I would try to find it for you but I'm tired of getting my ass kicked by the CBA.
If he just means a buyout, that makes sense. Just odd phrasing calling it a "unconditional" release. That implies no buyout is happening.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
They bought out his contract at which point he was unconditionally released,same as it ever was.
Yeah, just saying a buyout is a "conditional" not "unconditional" release. I get that Russo is saying that Cooke can sign with anybody, but I confused myself thinking something else was going on.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
If he just means a buyout, that makes sense. Just odd phrasing calling it a "unconditional" release. That implies no buyout is happening.

It means he is released from the roster because he will be bought out soon and has already been informed of such.

It allows him to start his negotiations whether the buyout is completed or not.

He will still be bought out.

As seen here...

The Minnesota Wild have placed veteran left wing Matt Cooke on waivers, for the purpose of granting him his unconditional release.

The Wild announced Thursday they will buy out the final season of Cooke's contract, provided his clearance through waivers. He will become an unrestricted free agent eligible to sign with any team except Minnesota. The 36-year-old was set to make $3 million in 2015-16.

General manager Chuck Fletcher, in a statement from the team, said the move was a ''difficult decision'' driven by the desire for more flexibility under the salary cap.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Had a solid first year. Injuries slowed him down this year. I wouldn't call him ineffective this year, but not very effective either if that makes sense. Just a business move for sure. At least we'll lose a bunch of haters now.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
Cooke was a good bottom-6 forward and veteran presence. Loved the bits we saw of him in the locker room very enthusiastically cheering everyone on. Seems like a genuine team guy. Too bad he became replaceable at this point and was injured all too much. Just too big cap hit for his current value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad