Mats Zuccarello

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
What was it, in the final two minutes of the game he had two great takeaways from.. Ovechkin? in the offensive zone. He got some loud cheers for his effort. Though apparently Ovy wasn't playing with much effort himself so it might not have been that hard :sarcasm:

Yep, his effort and skating have been VERY impressive. He is great at using his stick to create turnovers. Torts has to be loving it.

I like what he contributes to the team and I hope they make room for him in the future. His passing ability and creativity with the puck adds a much needed element out on the ice.

I 110% agree. He should be re-signed. He has added a lot of creativity and gives Torts flexibility as he has looked good anywhere in the top-9. Add to that the fact that he is a good PP player and great in the shootout and there is no reason not to sign him.

Zucc is stuck playing with human offense killer in Boyle. Sets up Boyle for 2 golden opportunities to ice the game and of course nothing from Boyle. Why not Zucc-Brassard-Nash? Maybe the 2 best passers on the team with Nash. Brassard will have even more space.

MZA was great, but the reason that line works is because Boyle is incredibly defensively responsible. Brassard and MZA have some work to do there. Boyle does the dirty work in the corners and creates room for them.

Would it have been nice if he scored? Of course. But let's not act like Boyle is pulling them down. He has been great.

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
Zucc is stuck playing with human offense killer in Boyle. Sets up Boyle for 2 golden opportunities to ice the game and of course nothing from Boyle. Why not Zucc-Brassard-Nash? Maybe the 2 best passers on the team with Nash. Brassard will have even more space.

That line in the defensive zone.:shakehead:help:

And that's coming from someone who is saying Brassard is very reliable in the D zone.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

Yeah Zooks set up Boyle with two great chances late but also set him up with a point blank chance early in the game. I'd like to see Boyle convert on at least 1-2 of those chances.

I noticed Zooks got a decent amount of playing time late in the game after barely playing in the second period. Not having Zooks for any of that 5 on 3 was ridiculous in my opinion.

3 points in 4 games. Also had the assist on the Moore goal that did not count in the first game so he could have been a ppg scorer in these playoffs. I think he is 3rd on the team in playoff points.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Zucca seems to be increasingly earning the trust of Torts. He hasn't had one of those random, six minute TOI games for a while.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
7) That 5-on-3. Oy. I don’t really know what to say, except that it’s apparent that guys like Nash and Richards don’t get it. I mean, for all their pedigree and experience, they have to do better than that, right?

8) The Rangers power play atoned when Jason Chimera took that dumb penalty at the second-period buzzer. John Tortorella had 18 minutes to draw it up. More importantly, he put out some guys with creativity – Mats Zuccarello and Brassard, who made a good pass and a better pass, respectively, for Dan Girardi’s slapper. Which, to be fair, has to be stopped by Braden Holtby. I’ll say it again. Zuccarello is the Rangers’ best power-play player, period.
http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2013/...campaign=Feed:+RangersReport+(Rangers+Report)

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Why did that goal have to be stopped by Holtby? I don't get how people will say that EVERY breakaway goal is a good goal and never soft and then say that a one timer to the far side when the goalie is forced to move has to be stopped.

With 2 guys (Zooks/Boyle) in front of Holtby he may have been screened as well.

Ricebox

Feb 7, 2013
Norway - Florida
I remember in an interview, Richards was quoted saying that Zucc's style reminded him of when he played with St.Louis in Tampa, and ever since then, i can see the similarities, creative playmakers that always know where to put the puck and set up goals.

although i have noticed that it seems hes always passing the puck to other players, but doesnt frequently get passes in front of the net on plays, is this part of tort's strategy?

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
I remember in an interview, Richards was quoted saying that Zucc's style reminded him of when he played with St.Louis in Tampa, and ever since then, i can see the similarities, creative playmakers that always know where to put the puck and set up goals.

although i have noticed that it seems hes always passing the puck to other players, but doesnt frequently get passes in front of the net on plays, is this part of tort's strategy?

To be fair and honest,Zucc's not a shooting monster so far in/on/at? small rinks.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Does anyone feel like a player like Zucc understands the offensive side the game better than Torts? Torts has a neanderthal mentality when it comes to offense.

Ilovemymum

recreational MD
Feb 17, 2010
Very nice breakdown. Zooks seems to understand how important it is to open the ice. I was shocked that Zooks and John Moore were not on for part of the 5-3. We change lines at the drop of a hat. I wish they would change that first PP unit.

Lovely analysis. Pawn f3 - Kingside Castle - Rook D5 and #. Would like to hear what the approach is to the PP at this level, when they instruct the players. The pace is so insane that it's a wonder they can do any thinking out there at all. Norway could use his PP skills in Sweden at the moment btw. 0 for 31 minutes.

Zucc36

Jan 8, 2011
Rangers with 2 PPG in the series. Zuke with assist on both. He should get 1 min+ on every single PP. Not using him on the ice on a 5 on 3 is just plain stupid.

3 points in 4 games, 3rd on the team on points.... Ahead of players like Steps, Nash, Cally, Richie.

Pretty obvious who need to step it up.

I´m really happy for him and that he is getting this important PO-experience.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
Zucca seems to be increasingly earning the trust of Torts. He hasn't had one of those random, six minute TOI games for a while.

I was initially surprised to see he was put out on the ice for a shift last game with about 2 minutes left to play.... Shows he's earned some confidence from the coach.

usernamesteph

Jan 22, 2013
Rangers with 2 PPG in the series. Zuke with assist on both. He should get 1 min+ on every single PP. Not using him on the ice on a 5 on 3 is just plain stupid.

3 points in 4 games, 3rd on the team on points.... Ahead of players like Steps, Nash, Cally, Richie.

Pretty obvious who need to step it up.

I´m really happy for him and that he is getting this important PO-experience.

Sometimes I get the feeling torts likes to put his own little cap on succeeding players....

I mean seriously...if by now you haven't noticed that Richards causes dysfunction on the powerplay and that zuccarello is the best poweplay guy we have, then you must be blind or bias...

Not to mention.. zuccarello's JAM is great

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
He's been on the ice during the last minute of the previous 2 matches, so there is probably nothing at all wrong with torts trust.

I just saw the replay of the block a few seconds from period end yesterday, and that was some hero effort there, looked like it hurt a ton though.

Honestly I hope that they will run the Zucc-Brass-Boyle line on the first PP unit next game, they are producing and might very well continue to do so.

KingStian

Jan 8, 2011
Torts seems to play Zucc more when we chase a goal than when we play with the lead.

At this point I can't understand not signing him for at least next year. He has been one of our more consistent player since he made his return to the team.

I know some has concerns about if he'll hold through a full 82 game season with playoffs, but I really don't think he have to. Every player will go through a slump at some point in the season, and if it's the physical aspect that can be tough, I think you could healty scratch him at some games to give him extra restitusion, IF, and a big if, it becomes a problem, and he will still bring more positives to the team than negatives. Reasoning behind this? Zucc will be a player who would be happy with one-way contract worth somewhere around the 1 million doller mark, and would be relatively cheap for his upsides. I mean, we pay Pyatt 1.5 and Boyle 1.7...

The only way he could become a more expensive player is if some other team wants him too and offers it to him.

richardsequalscup*

Zuccarello makes a lot of bad decisions on the PP because his shot is weak. He really isn't an effective player under Torts lousy system. On a team like Washington, he would be much better getting close in shots. He clearly lacks confidence in his shot which makes him pass up open shots quite often.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Zuccarello makes a lot of bad decisions on the PP because his shot is weak. He really isn't an effective player under Torts lousy system. On a team like Washington, he would be much better getting close in shots. He clearly lacks confidence in his shot which makes him pass up open shots quite often.

The kid is a natural pass first player but he has a good slapshot. He rarely takes it but in the few times I have seen him take it his slap was a rocket.

Ilovemymum

recreational MD
Feb 17, 2010

Really don't think his shot is weak, at least his wrist shot / short range is very good, and he makes them very quickly and timely as well. But agree he could maybe shoot more often. Hit the nub of Holtby's stick last game. Hope the puck will bounce his way tonight. To say that he makes a lot of bad decisions on the PP, I couldn't disagree more.

Nosferatos

Jan 5, 2011
Bergen
Damn you Richards, stoping that open netter. Oh well, the win was more important. Awesome game by Zucc, him and Brass seem to have a great connection. They just need that 3rd player, hope Nash is it.

Wolfy*

Zuccarello picked up another point tonight, and lots of toi, Torts really trusts him now :)

Green Blob*

Dont agree at all. Zucc is a fantastic passer and has always been a pass first player. That is why he passes more then shoots.

2nd in points on the team in the playoffs :nod: Should have had the goal tonight but Richards blocked it by accident.

Kershaw

It is a travesty that he only has 4 pts to show for his strong game this series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad