Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Tilted ice....yeah...can someone bullet point it for me
Here’s a summary of the summary

- Zucc is 60/40 on staying vs leaving ad a UFA. Understands the rebuild but only wants to stay if the plan is to develop young players while focusing on winning. It’s nearly impossible to do both. Every move they’ve made over the last few months suggests that winning isn’t the priority in the near future.

- allegedly the sharks and flames made offers for Zucc. I don’t know how a Norwegian journalist scooped our writers state side and in Canada. San Jose seemed pretty keyed in on Kane from the start. Calgary makes sense, though they have no 1st this year. Rangers price for Zucc was basically the same as it was for Nash- 1st prospect and possibly a roster player. That part at least sounds believeable.

- Zucc would only want to be captain of this team is committed to winning. Doesn’t sound like a guy I’d want leading my team.

Reactions: Inferno

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
So you don't want a captain who's committed to winning? :laugh:

Don't worry, you should listen to Quinn's interviews. He wants to compete from game 1, he said this can be done quickly.

There's a reason why Mr. Kvatningen knows more about what's going on around Zucc than Brooks and McKenzie. As I mentioned in another thread, he has a hotline. He talks to him and his agents on the phone.

Reactions: egelband

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I don’t want a captain who isn’t willing to sit through a rebuild.

You should listen to Quinn’s interviews. He stressed patience and said that having a bit of leeway (not having to contend right away) was a major factor in him taking this job. Plus the hire itself should tell you where managements head is at. They hired a college coach with limited pro coaching experience and stressed player development as the #1 quality that they were looking for.

The team will compete with eachother for spots in the lineup and sure the main goal of hockey is to win, but they aren’t going to make moves with the sole focus of winning. If that was what they wanted, we wouldn’t have seen the great sell off of 2018 happen or the additional trades that will be made this summer.

Neither zucc or his agents would be privy to any information about who was interested in him at the deadline. He doesn’t have a no trade so it’s not like they’d have to approach him with options.

Again, I call bullshit.

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
The important thing here, is that all of this is Roy Kvatningen's "impressions". This is not something Zucc has said straight out. What Roy said in regards to who was interested in him at the deadline, he said that he had a good source who stated that San Jose and Calgary were interested. But that he was hesitant to say much about it because it was only one source (he'd want several to be confident in the validity). He also said that he knew an NHL scout that loved Zucc. Thats it pretty much.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
No he said a lot more including parts of a conversation he had with Zucc on the phone. Said Zucc is not sure what to do, stay or leave. And he thinks the Rangers want to keep him, hence the high asking price. Sounds like Zucc needs to make up his mind about this, if he wants to leave they'll trade him and drop the price.

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
No he said a lot more including parts of a conversation he had with Zucc on the phone. Said Zucc is not sure what to do, stay or leave.
Which is the most natural thing in the world. He doesn't know the direction of the team going forward, or even if there is going to be room for him on it. He does not have an NTC, so he could technically be asked tomorrow (when the trade window opens anyway) to report to a different team on the other side of the Country (or even a different Country..lol). Hence he is insecure.. who on earth wouldn't be ?
And he thinks the Rangers want to keep him, hence the high asking price.
It was probably the standard "overpayment" requirement for the playoffs.. when teams are stacking things to give themselves the best possible chance to win the cup. But yes, it does certainly say that the Rangers aren't willing to let him go lightly. Which is positive (from his standpoint).
Sounds like Zucc needs to make up his mind about this, if he wants to leave they'll trade him and drop the price.
I would imagine that the price has already dropped in that sense (IE, no playoff desperation). But its not a matter of what Zucc wants.. he is under contract, and unless the Rangers trades him, he is going to play for them this season. He has on multiple occasions stated that he loves the city and wants to stay, which should be clear enough. His uncertainty stems from new coach, new system, new philosophy, lots of new players (getting rid of the old, and in with the youth).. Zucc is getting old (in NHL terms). So unless he hears anything from management, of course he'd be uncertain of the future.. unless you have a crystal ball and supernatural powers, who wouldn't be ? :)

That he is uncertain does not mean that he'll lose his professionalism, that he'll come to camp anything less than 100 percent motivated, etc etc.

YetAnotherNorwegian

Nov 1, 2010
Kvatningen also "had the impression" (like everything else he said in that regard) that "if the Rangers wanted him to be a mentor for the kids, he would embrace it" (the exact wording escapes me at the moment). That sounds like captain material and the veteran presence the team needs to me?

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Kvatningen also "had the impression" (like everything else he said in that regard) that "if the Rangers wanted him to be a mentor for the kids, he would embrace it" (the exact wording escapes me at the moment). That sounds like captain material and the veteran presence the team needs to me?

There's a strong possibility that he'll be awarded the captaincy if he stays, and this is a good reason for him to stay. Zucc is also that "in your face" captain the Rangers are looking for, if you don't show up he'll let you know what he thinks about that. He's been wearing the A for a year, so they know how he works as a leader.

Another option if they want a captain is to bring in a star player like Tavares or Karlsson. I just don't understand why any of those would want to sign with a team in the process of a rebuild, and with a rookie college coach..

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Is that worth 5-6 mill per a year over 4-6 years? Especially when said player is declining.

You can sign a veteran who has been through it all on the back 9 of his career for half of that on a 1 year deal. Also he completely disappeared once the trade rumors started. That in it self isn't necessarily a problem as he's human but if this is a guy who can't handle trade rumors, he isn't a guy who should be leading men - How would he react if the team were good and in a tough spot in the playoffs? Not all humans were meant to lead.

Reactions: Inferno

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Is that worth 5-6 mill per a year over 4-6 years? Especially when said player is declining.

You can sign a veteran who has been through it all on the back 9 of his career for half of that on a 1 year deal. Also he completely disappeared once the trade rumors started. That in it self isn't necessarily a problem as he's human but if this is a guy who can't handle trade rumors, he isn't a guy who should be leading men - How would he react if the team were good and in a tough spot in the playoffs? Not all humans were meant to lead.

I think you're among the very few if you question his leadership skills.

He was angry after that letter from the management. He couldn't care less if he gets traded or not, in fact he may ASK for a trade. As Roy said, he's around 60-40 in favor of staying. But it can change if they give him the captaincy, this would be a new challenge for him. He did have a meeting with Gorton, and they probably made some plans there. At least he doesn't look too worried..

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
There's a strong possibility that he'll be awarded the captaincy if he stays, and this is a good reason for him to stay. Zucc is also that "in your face" captain the Rangers are looking for, if you don't show up he'll let you know what he thinks about that. He's been wearing the A for a year, so they know how he works as a leader.

Another option if they want a captain is to bring in a star player like Tavares or Karlsson. I just don't understand why any of those would want to sign with a team in the process of a rebuild, and with a rookie college coach..

Ifs and buts, and you read what you want to read.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
There's a strong possibility that he'll be awarded the captaincy if he stays, and this is a good reason for him to stay.
Would be a great magic trick to give the C to a player who might not even be on the team past the draft.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I'll direct you to this post, to hopefully give you an insight into why a lot of us don't want to trade players left and right.: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...ghlight-montage.2478529/page-3#post-146265187

I can't speak to the Euro culture with athletes vs the US culture, I'm not European but I'll take your word for it.

but..

With that in mind, the fact that we want Zucc to remain with the club, and not be traded to a team that has actual superstars and way better players than the NYR has, something which is sure to boost his production by a fair margin, should be an indicator that we care about the club just as much as the fans on the other side of the pond do. We just view player longevity differently.

This is complete bunk. All this does is prove that you care about appeasing your desire to watch Zucc stay and play for your favorite team. Lets call it what it is.

I don't know what being on the other side of the pond has to do with player longevity. There is a substantial amount of data that covers this, none of it really favorable in Zucc's case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad