Player Discussion Mats Zuccarello Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
I can't speak to the Euro culture with athletes vs the US culture, I'm not European but I'll take your word for it.

but..

This is complete bunk. All this does is prove that you care about appeasing your desire to watch Zucc stay and play for your favorite team. Lets call it what it is.

I don't know what being on the other side of the pond has to do with player longevity. There is a substantial amount of data that covers this, none of it really favorable in Zucc's case.

1. The two are interchangable. If you disagree, that's your perogative.
2. In the context of my post I refer to a players tenure with a club. Euro fans like their players to stay with their club preferably as long as they are performing, or in special cases their entire careers. "Sell when they're high" is not something Europeans consider part of their sport culture. Which is precisely what American fans do.

But you are firmly on the side of those who think players are relics when they are 30, I am not. So we'll agree to disagree.

Glennsoe

Horndog
Jan 7, 2011
Zucc & Henke are working together this summer for an outdoor summer hockey charity game and here are the players involved - some big names here:

Mats Zuccarello, 30 år, New York Rangers, Norge.

Henrik Lundqvist, 36 år, New York Rangers, Sverge.

Mika Zibanejad, 25 år, New York Rangers, Sverige.

Filip Forsberg, 23 år, Nashville Predators, Sverige.

Roman Josi, 28 år, Nashville Predators, Sveits

Mattias Ekholm, 28 år, Nashville Predators, Sverige

Derick Brassard, 30 år, Pittsburgh Penguins, Canada.

Carl Hagelin, 29 år, Pittsburgh Penguins, Sverige.

Antti Raanta, 29 år, Arizona Coyotes, Finland.

Oliver Ekman-Larsson, 26 år, Arizona Coyotes, Sverige.

Victor Hedman, 27 år, Tampa Bay Lightning, Sverige

Ryan McDonagh, 28 år, Tampa Bay Lightning, USA.

Nicklas Bäckström, 30 år, Washington Capitals, Sverige.

William Nylander, 22 år, Toronto Maple Leafs, Canada/Sverige

Zdeno Chara, 41 år, Boston Bruins, Slovakia

Loui Eriksson, 32 år, Vancouver Canucks, Sverige

John Klingberg, 25 år, Dallas Stars, Sverige

Hampus Lindholm, 24 år, Anaheim Ducks, Sverige

Nina Niederreiter, 25 år, Minnesota Wild, Sveits

Alexander Wennberg, 23 år, Columbus Blue Jackets, Sverige

William Karlsson, 25 år, Vegas Golden Nights, Sverige

Mats Sundin, 47 år, NHL-legende, Sverige

Peter Forsberg, 44 år, NHL-legende, Sverige

Reactions: Guffawstev

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
August 11th in Oslo, 25.000 tickets and almost sold out. Amazing event for charity.

Nice to see McDonagh...friends forever. More players will come, they are hoping to construct two full NHL-teams.

Many U.S journalists are expected including a crew from MSG, look for live coverage.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
That charity game is really growing in reputation considering the increase in big names. Awesome to see

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
Interview with Zucc in the Norwegian newspaper VG today

Original link
Google Translated Article

Interesting tidbit :
The Rangers have 2 players in the top 10 of Jerseys sold leaguewide in 2017. Hank is at number 5, and Zucc is at number 7. Together, Hank and Zucc has well over half of the Rangers total Jersey sales.

Reactions: BerntBalchen

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Translator doesn't work, but this is based on a video interview done yesterday. He basically says he wants to remain a Ranger until he retires, no matter what. But if he gets traded then so be it, he's ready.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I can't speak to the Euro culture with athletes vs the US culture, I'm not European but I'll take your word for it.

but..

This is complete bunk. All this does is prove that you care about appeasing your desire to watch Zucc stay and play for your favorite team. Lets call it what it is.

I don't know what being on the other side of the pond has to do with player longevity. There is a substantial amount of data that covers this, none of it really favorable in Zucc's case.

In Spain you cheer for all players on the same team no matter of age and that`s EU culture. If he is moved or sold it`s something different, because then he is not within the same club or franchise in hockey. Those most popular players are those who are oldest players, because they have the longest history in the club like Andrés Iniesta on Barcelona for instant.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
He survived the draft, så I guess he will report for duty come camp. Either he goes by deadline or resigns.

Not so fast, there will be more trades next week and through the summer. But I believe teams will have to come up with a 1st+ to get him.

As I've mentioned before, the Rangers see him as a leader for the youngsters. He may even become captain and get his contract extended. But there's no rush, they can wait with the contract talks to see how things work out, or trade him at the deadline.

member 116805

Thanks Zucc for your hard work and effort. Good luck at your new club.
Oh wait, he is still here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ori and Idlerlee

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I hope that Rangers sign Mats, of course, but he need to continue to be productive, and it`s important to get back to 60 + pts. next season. I hope the whole team figure out better chemistry compare to last season. We had 3 1st in the 2018 draft, and we have at least 1 in 2019 draft - maybe 2 if Tampa win the cup! :) And I don`t know if it`s consider a rebuild yet, but our farm is much stronger now than it has ever been for the last 10 years and that is an achievement in itself! Well done, Gorton! :thumbu:

Last edited:

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Zucc & Henke are working together this summer for an outdoor summer hockey charity game and here are the players involved - some big names here:

Hank's pads for this game. Awesome!

36637589_1994533360556731_1261480178857541632_n.jpg

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I was in the Dont Trade Zucc camp forever. But the folks on this site have swayed me. I wouldn’t mind it as long as the Rangers got a good return. That said, I’d still lean toward keeping him through the rebuild as one of the vet leaders. Kreider, Zucc, Hank. Also fine keeping Staal. The rest are fair game.

Reactions: Cassano and Ori

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
If Zucc goes, that's fine, he wouldn't mind. It will be a new challenge and probably a better chance to win the cup.

If Zucc stays, that's fine, he won't hurt the team. He'll be one of the leaders and help all these kids to become a pro.

Reactions: Ori and PabloT

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
bringing this thread back into focus with an off-the-wall idea...

Zucc reminds me of a soccer player (compliment), either as a defensive midfielder or on the flanks...is it entirely unreasonable to consider him on the backline? I understand it's unrealistic, but I think he'd be fine as a defenseman; perhaps even lengthen his career.

Your thoughts?

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Thanks for letting us know this thread exists, how thoughtful ;)

But it looks like you missed that Zucc is a pretty good soccer player. Take a look at this clip, his passes are just as good with the ball..

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
Congrats with the "Most assists from a Rangers player not from Canada or the US"!

You guys really do have a stat for everything :)
Congratulations Mats. Heard it on the news. Also he is close to 500 regular season games for The Rangers. No other Norwegian is close to that number of NHL games.

Last edited:

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I had to backtrack 4 pages to find a thread about this guy. It seems most Rangers fans consider him gone already. On of the thrustful guys NOT abandoning ship when management declared a rebuild crisis. A lot of skillful guys left, because management were decent enough to allow them to bail ship. Who stuck? Hank and Zuke. Also Kreider, etc, but I don't know the details of the internal deals. All I knows is a heackuvalot of talent left the team.

So, according to my reading, Zuccarello is worth trading for another lottery pick, in an apparently weak draft. The guy that signed homer contracts his entire career to help this team become successful, who still performed way better than the money he left on the table to not gut the budget, placed signing malplaced, declining UFAs who f***ing sucked, most of the time. Hank knows all about it. What a shit show. What is a team culture? Care about that before signing the names of the players and coaches, maybe? Obviously not.

But here you still want to ditch Zuccarello for a pick. The guy that always works hard, is very skilled, is extremely liked in the locker room and in the stands. You need roots to grow a tree, you need to keep a winning culture to preserve it. I can see no more important pieces to keep a winning team culture than Zuccarello and Hank. And they stayed. And you want to butcher it on a hunch of a pick, at the risk of becoming another Edmonton Oilers. Yes, let's develop a losing culture instead, because that's worth a pick.

Zuke stays if he wants to stay, which he has clearly stated he wants. If management trades Zuccarello, I'm done with this New York Rangers incompetence. I'm done with all the abysmal signings and zero clue what a team culture looks like. They sure do know what a franchise culture looks like though.

I admit Zuccarello started slow, but now he's back in his element as a veteran. He makes passes no one else are even close of thinking to make. He works extremely hard. He never gives up. But you want to give up. That says alot more about you and the franchise than him and that's the piece you want to ditch.

Zuccarello decides, hopefully. If NYR management trades him away like some traffic cone, I'm so done with this shit franchise, because it reaches a treshold of incompetence you cannot tolerate.

Last edited:

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Zuke stays if he wants to stay, which he has clearly stated he wants. If management trades Zuccarello, I'm done with this New York Rangers incompetence. I'm done with all the abysmal signings and zero clue what a team culture looks like. They sure do know what a franchise culture looks like though.
1. What does a rebuilding team need with him?
2. Am sure the Rangers will miss your fandom.
3. Trading players like him to recoup assets is what rebuilding teams do.
So, according to my reading, Zuccarello is worth trading for another lottery pick, in an apparently weak draft. The guy that signed homer contracts his entire career to help this team become successful, who still performed better than the money he left on the table to gut the budget, signing malplaced, declining UFAs. Hank knows all about it. What a **** show.
There are also prospects and future first round picks.
But here you still want to ditch Zuccarello for a pick. The guy that always works hard, is very skilled, is extremely liked in the locker room and in the stands. You need roots to grow a tree, you need to keep a winning culture to preserve it. I can see no more important pieces to keep a winning team culture than Zuccarello and Hank. And they stayed. And you want to butcher it on a hunch of a pick, at the risk of becoming another Edmonton Oilers.
He is worth more to the Rangers future as recouped assets. It is also about identifying what veterans you have that can lead the kids through the rebuild and emerge on the other side. The Rangers have two such players in Krieder and ZBad.

Reactions: jas and Sarge13

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
1. What does a rebuilding team need with him?
2. Am sure the Rangers will miss your fandom.
3. Trading players like him to recoup assets is what rebuilding teams do.

There are also prospects and future first round picks.

He is worth more to the Rangers future as recouped assets. It is also about identifying what veterans you have that can lead the kids through the rebuild and emerge on the other side. The Rangers have two such players in Krieder and ZBad.
1. Team culture. Yzerman for Detroit, what did he mean? A huge lot, just by his presence. Working hard for the group and the team, leadership, sacrifice, igniting what it takes to win. If the whole roster is rotated out within 5 years, what do you have left in terms of team culture in the end, if you rotate all of it? Management is only a part of that and Hank doesn't have proper influence as a goalie. Compare Detroit and Edmonton. Detroit was competitive for a long, long time and could grow their prospects into greatness over and over again, while Edmonton killed them like weeds. And you want to gamble with team culture?

2. That was more of a statement than sentimentality, but I think you knew that.

3. Yes, let's bring more prospects into a team culture consisting of.... what? What cultural pillars do you have left? If you think Zuccarello is worth a pick in a weak draft, I don't know what to tell you. The first guy since forever worth the name of intangibles. Who has also proved he can perform in the second half of the season with spades, still.

If you trade him, good luck, you will suck a lot, because not enough of the roots are left to grow the tree. Just a prediction. None of the experience what it takes to reach a Stanley Cup final are left to teach, because the team is like an interaction between the industrial complex and the government. You don't know what anything is when you enter as a rookie in such a turbulent team as the NYR. It's a frigging roller coaster and then you need a skilled, smart and joyful guy to lead the way in his own way.

Reactions: Placid

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Zuccarello decides, hopefully. If NYR management trades him away like some traffic cone, I'm so done with this **** franchise, because it reaches a treshold of incompetence you cannot tolerate.

This was me 5 years ago with Callahan, I was ignorant, angry, and not thinking. Yeah I still support Cally and follow Tampa, but not putting the Rangers before him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad