Mats Zuccarello Awesome (Appreciation thread part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
For some reason I didn't like Zucc at all until 2012-2013 game in Florida at the end of the season. It looked like he was the only Ranger that gave a crap, he was easily the best player on the ice. I let go of the irrationality of not liking him. I admire him now, he plays the game the way it should be played.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
You can not reason with "Hate" so I would not even waste your time. Zooks could save a old lady from a bank robbery, deliver a baby in a car crash, and score 3 points on the same day and those same people would still hate him.

I struggle to see the hate. Yes there has been skepticism, under estimation and criticism, but where are you seeing the hate, especially where have you been seeing it the last few months?

Unless you count a down vote in an elimination game "hate".

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
For some reason I didn't like Zucc at all until 2012-2013 game in Florida at the end of the season. It looked like he was the only Ranger that gave a crap, he was easily the best player on the ice. I let go of the irrationality of not liking him. I admire him now, he plays the game the way it should be played.

Having an open mind is a very admirable trait so I respect you being able to change your mind in that manner. In the past there was a player I "hated" and only decades later did I realize how irrational my "hate" was. I wish I had a more open mind on some things but I'm working on it.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Having an open mind is a very admirable trait so I respect you being able to change your mind in that manner. In the past there was a player I "hated" and only decades later did I realize how irrational my "hate" was. I wish I had a more open mind on some things but I'm working on it.

I wouldn't say I am the most open minded. lol I hated early Metallica for 15 years because some dude I couldn't stand, really hated, wore a Metallica Ride the Lightning t-shirt. Their later meh stuff notwithstanding.

With hockey players, you have to keep an open mind they develop at different rates and such.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I wouldn't say I am the most open minded. lol I hated early Metallica for 15 years because some dude I couldn't stand, really hated, wore a Metallica Ride the Lightning t-shirt. Their later meh stuff notwithstanding.

With hockey players, you have to keep an open mind they develop at different rates and such.

The Metallica t-shirt thing made me laugh. I have hated based on some irrational things as well. I try not to hate anymore since I have gotten older but there are times I still fail.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Flavius

Da Gawd
Feb 23, 2013
H.A.M. City
Not sure if it was posted already, but here goes:

http://nyrangersblog.com/2014-articles/zuccarello-willing-to-take-less-to-stay-with-rangers.html

ZUCCARELLO WILLING TO TAKE LESS TO STAY WITH RANGERS
“The most important thing to me is how many years the contract is for, not necessarily how much the salary is. I want to be able to compete for the Stanley Cup every season and therefore will not necessarily push wages up to the maximum.â€

He's the best. The way I'd want a player to act. Such character. Always tries hard, and is willing to sacrifice for the team. :handclap:

I think it's time I start considering buying his sweater.

Wolfy*

"But I will also listen to my agents"

If they say it would be stupid to sign 4 years @ 3 mill per, he'd probably say...you're right.

Other teams actually have a very good chance to snap Zucc, as the Rangers can't match big dollars.

Will be interesting to see what happens.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
"But I will also listen to my agents"

If they say it would be stupid to sign 4 years @ 3 mill per, he'd probably say...you're right.

Other teams actually have a very good chance to snap Zucc, as the Rangers can't match big dollars.

Will be interesting to see what happens.

its beyond obvious he wants to stay here. he's already taken less money once before just to stay here...he just said he'd do it again. i dont think him walking is a legitimate concern unless the rangers screw with him and offer him a 3 year deal at 1.75m per or something absurd like that.

if they go in with a 4x3.5 deal, i think he'd accept it.

Wolfy*

its beyond obvious he wants to stay here. he's already taken less money once before just to stay here...he just said he'd do it again. i dont think him walking is a legitimate concern unless the rangers screw with him and offer him a 3 year deal at 1.75m per or something absurd like that.

if they go in with a 4x3.5 deal, i think he'd accept it.

I'm afraid this article below says something else. Looks like Zucc wants a decent salary.

"I wont sign with the Rangers at any cost or just to be kind"

To be honest, I think it was a tactical blunder by Sather to say he only has one good season here. Sounds like Zucc was offended by that comment.

The article from Norwegian media today, you will have to use a translator.

http://www.vg.no/sport/ishockey/zuccarello-vil-ha-loenn-for-strevet/a/23243519/

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
He shouldn't sign for just any salary nor should the Rangers just offer any salary. It should be a fair deal for Zooks and the team. Nothing wrong with that. He has to think about his life and security.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I'm afraid this article below says something else. Looks like Zucc wants a decent salary.

To be honest, I think it was a tactical blunder by Sather to say he only has one good season here. Sounds like Zucc was offended by that comment.

There is reason to believe that a new three-year contract for Mats Zuccarello will be worth 10 to 12 million dollars...thats from that article.

3.3-4m over 3 years. thats what hes looking for it seems, i dont see why thats an issue at all. if anything id like to give him MORE years.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
i think zucc is trying to say hes not going to sign for 1-2 mil like he did the last few times. i think that should be obvious to both sides. at least it seems like that.

i dont see how Sather would try to screw him with a super low number. is he going to try to get the best deal he can get for the Rangers? of course, but hes never seemed like the kind of GM that would completely screw a key piece of the team. give the kid 4 years at 14mil or something like that.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I'd give him 4-5 years and try to keep the cap hit down. He is the straw that stirs the drink on any line he plays on. He can play either wing. He plays PP and PK. What else do they want?

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
I'd give him 4-5 years and try to keep the cap hit down. He is the straw that stirs the drink on any line he plays on. He can play either wing. He plays PP and PK. What else do they want?

Crosby at 3.5 mill, 9 years

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
It would be ideal to give him a but longer contract and keep the cap hit down. How can you not love him as a player, he does pretty much everything you can ask of a player except score on an empty net in overtime of the Stanley Cup Finals. hahahahah but who remembers that?

TollefsenFan

Apr 29, 2010
K-town
Like ive allrdy said earlier. Zucc want a long term contract, but he also want to get a fair amount of Money. 5 years at 3,5 million a year.

Zucc36

Jan 8, 2011
Like ive allrdy said earlier. Zucc want a long term contract, but he also want to get a fair amount of Money. 5 years at 3,5 million a year.

In 5 years he will be almost 32 years old, not the best time to become a UFA.
I think a 3 year deal will be perfect, as he will be 30 years old and I believe he will have a better chance of getting a new big contact.

On the other hand a 5 year deal is a good job security, and even in a rich and expensive country as Norway, 100M NOK is a lot of money (5 years, $3,5 mill totals about 105M Norwegian Kroner)

Zucc36

Jan 8, 2011

He also states in this article: It is not important for me to "hit the home run" now. Meaning that he will try to push the salary to the limit. I think it is easy to see that he is looking for a long term contract (3-4 years), and badly wants to stay with the Rangers.

Ilovemymum

recreational MD
Feb 17, 2010
I hope he gets a decent contract, and that they don't take advantage of his feelings for the club and the city. His negotiation skills are so so, but that's also what makes him so loveable. Would love to see him on a top line, rather than seeing the 3rd line playing like one, mostly because of him (IMO) If he gets a salary more in line with his value I'd say chances are better of being bumped up. A full season with Kreider, Stepan & Zuke and I'll eat my hat (again) if he doesn't become a top 10 contributer in this leage. Might even do it from the current line.

SKS

Jan 17, 2011
San Francisco
On the other hand a 5 year deal is a good job security, and even in a rich and expensive country as Norway, 100M NOK is a lot of money (5 years, $3,5 mill totals about 105M Norwegian Kroner)

Taxes - Agent fee - NHLPA contributions.

How much of salary for a hockey player is net do you guys reckon? 40-45%?

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
In 5 years he will be almost 32 years old, not the best time to become a UFA.
I think a 3 year deal will be perfect, as he will be 30 years old and I believe he will have a better chance of getting a new big contact.

To be fair, he's had one really good year. I have no doubt he won't continue to produce/improve, but I mean, it's no guarantee. If he can get a 5 year deal at 3.5M per...sure, it could be a steal of a contract, but if he flames out, he's guaranteed $17.5M.

Why not just split the difference and do like 4 years/3.7 per.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad