Mats Sundin was not named as the best player to wear #13, it went to Pavel Datsyuk

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I agree its closer than many think, but I like that the cup winner datsyuk took this one. Sundin was one of the most superiour players I witnessed play back with Quinn etc. He was like a bear. Reminded of jagr in the corners, sundin was even heavier looking. None of those suckas could get the puck off that fool. I always waited with a passion to see sundin play. He really made all of us tik and tok. Bout that life and ice hockey. What a leader, also vocally and leader wise sundin was better than datsyuk, but the stanley cup was the only thang that was missing. Sundin was a bear inside of a lion's mouth. None of those fools could drop him. He destroyed ottawa, always.
The part I bolded reminded me of when Sundin recorded his 1000th career point.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I can't fault them for it. Either would work. But, Datsyuk has more hardware and cups, which tend to make a significant difference in these things. Either way, both will likely have their numbers retired by an O6 franchise, which is a hell of an accomplishment.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I can't fault them for it. Either would work. But, Datsyuk has more hardware and cups, which tend to make a significant difference in these things. Either way, both will likely have their numbers retired by an O6 franchise, which is a hell of an accomplishment.
You mean Datsyuk will have his number retired at some point by the Red Wings, because Sundin's number was retired by the Maple Leafs prior to their home opener during the 2016-17 season.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
You mean Datsyuk will have his number retired at some point by the Red Wings, because Sundin's number was retired by the Maple Leafs prior to their home opener during the 2016-17 season.
Datsyuk's isn't retired yet, likely due to him still playing and the off-chance he comes back to the NHL. I'm well aware of Sundin's numbers being retired when we changed the policy and is one of the numbers I would say clearly deserved it (I personally would have been more restrictive in retired numbers, but since some were already honored they also got retired).

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
It's close. Datsyuk played on some legendary teams chock full of HoFers in their primes. Sundin was far and away the best player on the team for pretty much his entire tenure, and was the #1 threat up front.

I give Datsyuk the edge on defense, but I am hesitant to say Datsyuk is better on offense despite having similar production. Sundin was the better natural goal scorer though and there is zero debate there, just like Datsyuk being better at D.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Datsyuk was for sure the "better #13". Sundin may have been better offensively, but Datsyuk was way better defensively AND still had many 80+ points seasons, plus 2 Cups, and 3 Selkes. He was dominant.

I wouldn't even put Sundin at 2nd best. Selanne should have that, even though he switched back/forth bewteen #13 and #8. He was SUPER dominant offensively, and won a Calder, a Rocket, and a cup.

Sundin should sit comfortably at 3rd.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Glad to see it was close enough to spark a big debate.

I agree with it going to Datsyuk, I wouldn't disagree with Sundin either.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Datsyuk was for sure the "better #13". Sundin may have been better offensively, but Datsyuk was way better defensively AND still had many 80+ points seasons, plus 2 Cups, and 3 Selkes. He was dominant.

I wouldn't even put Sundin at 2nd best. Selanne should have that, even though he switched back/forth bewteen #13 and #8. He was SUPER dominant offensively, and won a Calder, a Rocket, and a cup.

Sundin should sit comfortably at 3rd.
Look, I'm not trying to take away any of Datsyuk's accomplishments as he was a fantastic player, but I think there is a real discussion or debate that could be had in terms of the quality of players, especially when factoring in teams and level of support.

During Sundin's tenure as a Leaf, could you ever say there was a year where he was not the best player on the team? Mogilny slightly outscored him in '03, but even then I wouldn't argue that Mogilny was better or more valuable to the team. I don't think there is any debate that Sundin was certifiably the best player on the team all of those seasons.

With Datsyuk, was he the best player on his team every season? Arguable. His first few seasons, he had Yzerman, Hull, Shanahan, Fedorov, Lidstrom etc who were still all stars at that time. Post-lockout he reached elite levels, but even during the Cup run years ('08,'09), you could argue that Zetterberg or Lidstrom were just as valuable or better. Zetterberg himself was nominated for a Selke in 2008, played both wing and centre and was an incredible playoff performer, winning a Smythe while shutting down Crosby and almost doing it again in 2009. Datsyuk's playoff numbers pale in comparison to his. Then you have Lidstrom, who I don't think I need to speak for really...and they had Marian Hossa for their 2009 run as well.

As a a Leaf, did Sundin ever have anyone close to a Zetterberg or a Lidstrom? Hell, did he have anything close to even one season of Marian Hossa, or Brian Rafalski? The best teammate Mats ever had in the NHL was Joe Sakic on the Nordiques. Sakic is also unanimously considered to be better than Mats, yet when the two played together, Mats was actually outscoring him by his third season. If the Nordiques never traded Sundin, and proceeded to still get Forsberg they would've been a dynasty and Sundin is probably held in much higher regard overall.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I know Datsyuk was on the Red Wings team that won the Cup in 2002, however I don't think he was considered to be a main reason why they won that year. Looking at his playoffs stats in 2002 he had 3 Goals and 3 Assists in 21 playoff games.

He was a 4th liner on a ridiculously stacked Wings team.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Even tbough id still back Sundin, man those peak Wings teams were a lot of fun to watch....

Im curious what their payroll was like lol. Will have to look that up

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
This!

My sentiments exactly! Magic Man was SPECIAL!

Although he had some fantastic point totals they didn't exactly jump off the screen. His overall impact on the ice was insane. He got overshadowed by peaking in the same era as Crosby/Malkin/Ovechkin.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I don't know about that. Datsyuk was well known as one of the league's top stickhandlers. That man could dangle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad