Mats Sundin was not named as the best player to wear #13, it went to Pavel Datsyuk

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I'm torn on this. I think what Pavel Datsyuk did in his career earns him a nod over Mats. The cups, the small stature and the advanced hockey sense. My favorite player of all time!
I know that Datsyuk has two Stanley Cups, three Selke Trophy's, and four Lady Byng Trophy's. However in terms of their overall NHL stats Sundin was the better player.

Sundin career totals: 564 Goals, 785 Assists, and 1349 Points.

Datsyuk career totals: 314 Goals, 604 Assists, and 918 Points.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
That's a close competition. I'd say Sundin was the better player offensively. Conversely, I would give Datsyuk the nod defensively. Checking any bias at the door as best as I could, I'd probably disagree with the result. I'd reiterate that it is close.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Selanne only had #13 in Winnipeg. In Anaheim he had it for the 2005-06 season and switched to #8 which they retired. Plus when he played in Colorado and San Jose he also wore the #8.

Selanne almost scored half of Datsyuk's career goals in his 231 games (less than 3 full seasons) with Winnipeg.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I know that Datsyuk has two Stanley Cups, three Selke Trophy's, and four Lady Byng Trophy's. However in terms of their overall NHL stats Sundin was the better player.

Sundin career totals: 564 Goals, 785 Assists, and 1349 Points.

Datsyuk career totals: 314 Goals, 604 Assists, and 918 Points.
How many games did each play for context?

Reactions: Garthinater

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Datsyuk was clearly better than Sundin. Leaving any team achievement aside, his 3 Selke trophies give him a massive edge.

Reactions: Beaumaris

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Captain Mats is my favorite player of all time - if we go strictly by the NHL then the Magic Man edges out Sundin. But if we look internationally then Sundin is a clear class above Datsyuk. If Sundin played on those Detroit teams then I bet they easily have the same success, while if Datsyuk played for Toronto I doubt he'd have the numbers Sundin put up - Dats played with much better offensive threats, not the least of whom patrolled his blueline for almost his whole career.

If Datsyuk played for Team Sweden then I don't think Tre Kronor is guaranteed to have won that Gold in Torino - Sundin was huge that tournament on all sides of the puck. But what do I know?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Tough call. Datsyuk has the hardware, but Sundin has the longevity (particularly in a lower scoring era).

Edge goes to Datsyuk but it's closer than some may realize.

Basically where I fall.

I think one could actually make a very reasonable case for Sundin, but its fair to give it to Datsyuk.

Problem i think is in a player v player comparison, the fact that Datsyuk was on some cup winning teams helped to elevate the reputation. I think Sundin some years was expected to carry a bigger workload too which was a hindrance to him

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Basically where I fall.

I think one could actually make a very reasonable case for Sundin, but its fair to give it to Datsyuk.

Problem i think is in a player v player comparison, the fact that Datsyuk was on some cup winning teams helped to elevate the reputation. I think Sundin some years was expected to carry a bigger workload too which was a hindrance to him
I know Datsyuk was on the Red Wings team that won the Cup in 2002, however I don't think he was considered to be a main reason why they won that year. Looking at his playoffs stats in 2002 he had 3 Goals and 3 Assists in 21 playoff games.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Basically where I fall.

Yep good points. I think in their prime, Datsyuk was superior too (not by a lot). He broke into the league late though and his actual breakout season was at age 25. By that age Sundin had four PPG seasons, a 47 goal campaign, and three additional 30+ goal seasons.

But once Dats got rolling he was a force in the league (ages 27 to 31) .. then progressively declined. Whereas Sundin was a solid near PPG player through his 30's, remaining one of the leagues best centres in the dead puck era.

Reactions: Menzinger

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Selanne almost scored half of Datsyuk's career goals in his 231 games (less than 3 full seasons) with Winnipeg.

But if we want to be super nitpicky, Selanne actually switched to 8 whilst in Winnipeg in 1995, so he only wore 13 for 2 seasons there.

teemu-selanne-winnipeg-jets-1995-starline-action-poster_large.jpg

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If Datsyuk had hung on for an extra couple of seasons, and gotten comfortably over 1000 games and 1000 points, slightly under PPG I would have signed off on Datsyuk over Sundin with very little hesitation. But Sundin put in almost 393 extra games of prime hockey with a half season of trash in Vancouver, plus he's a personal favorite, so it's a little more difficult to decide.

Last edited:

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Tough call. Datsyuk has the hardware, but Sundin has the longevity (particularly in a lower scoring era).

Edge goes to Datsyuk but it's closer than some may realize.
I agree its closer than many think, but I like that the cup winner datsyuk took this one. Sundin was one of the most superiour players I witnessed play back with Quinn etc. He was like a bear. Reminded of jagr in the corners, sundin was even heavier looking. None of those suckas could get the puck off that fool. I always waited with a passion to see sundin play. He really made all of us tik and tok. Bout that life and ice hockey. What a leader, also vocally and leader wise sundin was better than datsyuk, but the stanley cup was the only thang that was missing. Sundin was a bear inside of a lion's mouth. None of those fools could drop him. He destroyed ottawa, always.

Sep 18, 2009
I agree its closer than many think, but I like that the cup winner datsyuk took this one. Sundin was one of the most superiour players I witnessed play back with Quinn etc. He was like a bear. Reminded of jagr in the corners, sundin was even heavier looking. None of those suckas could get the puck off that fool. I always waited with a passion to see sundin play. He really made all of us tik and tok. Bout that life and ice hockey. What a leader, also vocally and leader wise sundin was better than datsyuk, but the stanley cup was the only thang that was missing. Sundin was a bear inside of a lion's mouth. None of those fools could drop him. He destroyed ottawa, always.
Sundin slaps it top corner all game and after game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad