Confirmed with Link: Mathias Brome to Detroit

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
Did he mean to do that? I mean, the d-men were cutting down his angle, but there was no one between Brome and the goalie. To throw the puck back like that...it worked for him, but I would have been more impressed if he'd juked and then put a hard wrister between the pad and blocker. This seemed like a very low-probability option that happened to work out, this time.

Reactions: lilidk

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Last time it was spin-o-rama assist. :eek:

Now spin-o-rama goal. :cool:

Örebro is really fun team. They have very strong Top6 offence, two lines scoring like crazy.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Absolutely sick pass by Mathias in his season opener today (so far)

I like the play, but should he really be getting caught by the opposite side defender when he's given a clear breakaway? Is he slow, or was Paul Coffee Jr playing on left D there?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I like the play, but should he really be getting caught by the opposite side defender when he's given a clear breakaway? Is he slow, or was Paul Coffee Jr playing on left D there?
Watch his feet in the video, he stops skating once he catches up to the play so that he doesn't overskate the play and gives his teammate the opportunity to make that pass.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Watch his feet in the video, he stops skating once he catches up to the play so that he doesn't overskate the play and gives his teammate the opportunity to make that pass.

He was the one making the pass, not receiving, at least as far as the tweets go. I have no idea tho, I was just following the caption.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Did he mean to do that? I mean, the d-men were cutting down his angle, but there was no one between Brome and the goalie. To throw the puck back like that...it worked for him, but I would have been more impressed if he'd juked and then put a hard wrister between the pad and blocker. This seemed like a very low-probability option that happened to work out, this time.

I think he meant it. I just think it was a poor decision that happened to work out, like you say.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
These are some nice highlights. Definitely getting excited about this guy, I think he may be better than most of us are giving him credit for. Could he sneak his way onto our 2nd line? We will see, but he looks like he is capable of producing offense, albeit in a lesser league.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He was the one making the pass, not receiving, at least as far as the tweets go. I have no idea tho, I was just following the caption.
Brome is #86, watch again. Pay attention to the feet if you're going to question his skating.

I think he meant it. I just think it was a poor decision that happened to work out, like you say.
He was being hooked through the entire play. He might have been trying to sell the call when he did the spinorama. Tossing the puck back to a teammate isn't a bad decision when the ref already has his hand up. The end result is lucky, but in hockey you make your luck.

The way he's paying though, I think he's got a shot at the second line....
Brome-Fabbri-Zadina
might not look so bad....

Vector Cereal

Jan 30, 2020
Brome is #86, watch again. Pay attention to the feet if you're going to question his skating.

He was being hooked through the entire play. He might have been trying to sell the call when he did the spinorama. Tossing the puck back to a teammate isn't a bad decision when the ref already has his hand up. The end result is lucky, but in hockey you make your luck.

Brome-Fabbri-Zadina
From blue line to blue line he covers less distance than the opposite side D and isn't being hooked. That said, he doesn't look like a turtle, but I don't think he'll ever succeed by playing a burner's game.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
From blue line to blue line he covers less distance than the opposite side D and isn't being hooked. That said, he doesn't look like a turtle, but I don't think he'll ever succeed by playing a burner's game.
The LD looks pretty damn fast though considering they're playing on larger ice. I expect him to be comparable to LGD speed, not Larkin/AA, I don't expect him to burn D with speed either, that's not what I said. He doesn't look slow by any means.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada

Brome-Fabbri-Zadina

Who knows, maybe he can be this years Kubalik. I know these are lofty expectations, but it's not unheard of for older European players to find success in the NHL in their mid to late 20s.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Who knows, maybe he can be this years Kubalik. I know these are lofty expectations, but it's not unheard of for older European players to find success in the NHL in their mid to late 20s.
I'm all for these types of freebie singings, no risk really. Nobody expected Panarin to end up being who he was his rookie year either...sure Kane helped, but Breadman is an all-star without him too.

Tempering my expectations, I'd be happy with Kubalik #'s.

Reactions: Ricelund

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I'm all for these types of freebie singings, no risk really. Nobody expected Panarin to end up being who he was his rookie year either...sure Kane helped, but Breadman is an all-star without him too.

Tempering my expectations, I'd be happy with Kubalik #'s.
I'd be ecstatic with 30 goals, lol, Kubalik scored 9 more goals than anyone on the Wings. If he puts up Fabbri type numbers, that's a win.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast

I questioned his speed, not his skating, so please don't put words in my mouth, especially when you don't use yours clearly.

You said:
he stops skating once he catches up to the play

How do you catch up to the play when you're 'leading the play' on the breakaway? Is that some sort of metaphor? Guy was gifted a clean path and didn't make it for some reason, so I thought I'd ask folks that know more to break it down more. Guess I'm still waiting.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I questioned his speed, not his skating, so please don't put words in my mouth, especially when you don't use yours clearly.

You said:

How do you catch up to the play when you're 'leading the play' on the breakaway? Is that some sort of metaphor? Guy was gifted a clean path and didn't make it for some reason, so I thought I'd ask folks that know more to break it down more. Guess I'm still waiting.
I think we're talking about 2 different videos, I thought you were talking about the second video (give and go) whereas you were talking about the first (spinorama pass).

In any case, he doesn't look slow to me.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
The LD looks pretty damn fast though considering they're playing on larger ice. I expect him to be comparable to LGD speed, not Larkin/AA, I don't expect him to burn D with speed either, that's not what I said. He doesn't look slow by any means.
What do you mean fast considering larger ice? I thought Sweden used same length of ice as NHL, it's the width that is different. Or am I mistaken?

Using LGD as a comparable is being generous as LGD is one of the fastest skaters on this team. He surpassed aging Helm in speed years ago.

Vector Cereal

Jan 30, 2020
I think we're talking about 2 different videos, I thought you were talking about the second video (give and go) whereas you were talking about the first (spinorama pass).

In any case, he doesn't look slow to me.
This makes more sense, I was referring to the spinorama pass video.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad