Confirmed with Link: Mathias Brome to Detroit

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He should be on the PP I feel like.
Dude needs to start shooting if he wants an offensive role on this team. Right now he's looking like a Helm replacement. Better hands but slower, lots of effort like when Helm was younger. Not as good defensively, but Brome is a significantly better passer. But 2 shots in 4 games doesn't cut it.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Remember when everyone was wondering how many games Yzerman had promised Brome when he signed him, because he was so useless this season? The answer appears to have been 24 :laugh:

Reactions: MBH

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Remember when everyone was wondering how many games Yzerman had promised Brome when he signed him, because he was so useless this season? The answer appears to have been 24 :laugh:

Don't think there's not any kind of promise, but you usually have to give +20 games to prove himself.

He had his numerous scoring chances but somehow it looked like his finishing was a bit "slow". Faster hands and decision making would have got more goals, but he is what he is. European League player.

Good try, but let's move on.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I honestly think he played much better than the stats suggest. He was hardworking and engaged and good at getting in on the puck. Not great in his own maybe, but I don't think he was -10 bad in 24 games to be honest.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I honestly think he played much better than the stats suggest. He was hardworking and engaged and good at getting in on the puck. Not great in his own maybe, but I don't think he was -10 bad in 24 games to be honest.

That's how the stats tend to look, when there's no scoring. You don't get the plusses, but the amount of minuses is quite normal.

His on-ice GA/60 as 2.01 is on the better side of the team. But GF/60 is only 0.67.

His expected numbers are a lot better, and that matches better with the eye-test.

Reactions: Realgud

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I often find myself wondering about how confidence and luck impact the big picture. I remember in the first or second game Brome made an excellent play behind the opponents net where he he eventually took the puck around stepped out front and hit the crossbar. If that shot goes in , how different does the season look for Brome? Does he get a little swagger? Does that lead to more chances/success? I’m not saying we’d have a McDavid or even a Kaprizov on our hands, but how much different does the season go for Brome of that shot goes in?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I often find myself wondering about how confidence and luck impact the big picture. I remember in the first or second game Brome made an excellent play behind the opponents net where he he eventually took the puck around stepped out front and hit the crossbar. If that shot goes in , how different does the season look for Brome? Does he get a little swagger? Does that lead to more chances/success? I’m not saying we’d have a McDavid or even a Kaprizov on our hands, but how much different does the season go for Brome of that shot goes in?

In short, it is huge. Momentum, confidence and a little bit of luck and his season is looking very different.

I think the talent is there to be a 30-40 point scorer in the NHL. Kind of bummed it didn't turn out that way because I thought that he could at least be a Damian Brunner or Ville Leino caliber player for us.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
In short, it is huge. Momentum, confidence and a little bit of luck and his season is looking very different.

I think the talent is there to be a 30-40 point scorer in the NHL. Kind of bummed it didn't turn out that way because I thought that he could at least be a Damian Brunner or Ville Leino caliber player for us.

Damien Brunner showed soooo much offensive ability here.
Leino, not so much.

Brome game just doesn't seem to go anywhere useful.

Last edited:
Reactions: nhlisawesome

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Damien Brunner showed soooo much offensive ability here.
Leino, not so much.

Brunner's game just doesn't seem to go anywhere useful.

Can't tell if that's sarcasm or not...

Brunner would have put up 40 or 50 points a season playing with D and Z had he stayed in Detroit instead of going to New Jersey.

Leino was a letdown in Detroit but his time in Philly with Briere the guy looked like a legit top 6er.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Can't tell if that's sarcasm or not...

Brunner would have put up 40 or 50 points a season playing with D and Z had he stayed in Detroit instead of going to New Jersey.

Leino was a letdown in Detroit but his time in Philly with Briere the guy looked like a legit top 6er.

Right. That's what I'm saying. Brunner showed something here.
Leino didn't show much of anything here. He did look good in Philly.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
That was me, and 24 would be a strange number....

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets called up after the TDL and gets 4 more games to make it 1/2 season.

He's reacts a split second too slow for the NHL, seems like one of those AHL superstars that can't seem to quite cut it in the NHL. My favorite was Keith Aucoin, there's one in GR now, Barber.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
Meh he might make AHL games somewhat more entertaining. He should be able to move around in a lower league bit better

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I still have faith in him. He got wheels, grit and some decent skills. I hope Red Wings gives him a second chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad