Player Discussion: Mathew Barzal

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Yep. It has long been a pet peeve of mine when people ONLY equate speed as a sign of a great skater. Speed IS immensely important. But there is more that goes into elite skating. Things you have touched upon above.

I’d argue that Barzal’s skating style is as perfect as you can get for the game of hockey. His tight edge work and ability to pick-up and drop speed in tight corners, coupled with balance, center of gravity and leg strength make him extremely elusive. For the old timers think of NFL HOF running backs Gale Sayers or Barry Sanders.

The other exceptional thing is pass on his back-hand as well as is for hand. It gives him near 360 degree of attack.

Then you take his ability to process the game at high speeds and that just puts the ribbon on top of an already extremely impressive package.

LOL... I’m not against advanced statistics... but in this case I certainly don’t need a spreadsheet (as per the article referenced earlier) to tell me I’m looking at a thoroughbred.

QFT. Jagr was an amazing skater because he was so strong, not because of speed.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
This was from Victor Krantz's twitter feed. Barzal's skating coach. Mathew is working hard on his game this summer.

I never questioned Barzal's work ethic, I know he's busting his ass to get better. Wasn't there that story where someone saw Barzal in the hotel gym working out after being drafted? Or was it before he was drafted? I always forget that part, but this kid is driven.

It must be nice for his skating coach to get some recognition now that his star pupil and his skating ability is being so heavily praised. The NHLN guy, Robby Glantz said Barzal's technique is pretty much flawless and probably who he would pick as his poster child.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I never questioned Barzal's work ethic, I know he's busting his ass to get better. Wasn't there that story where someone saw Barzal in the hotel gym working out after being drafted? Or was it before he was drafted? I always forget that part, but this kid is driven.

It must be nice for his skating coach to get some recognition now that his star pupil and his skating ability is being so heavily praised. The NHLN guy, Robby Glantz said Barzal's technique is pretty much flawless and probably who he would pick as his poster child.

I haven't heard of that story. Thanks. I know the story of Barzal watching Crosby tapes to study his tendencies. Also, I would be remiss to not mention Scotty Gomez. I surmise he has really helped Barzal's development. Sort of like how Adam Oates helped Scheifele's game. One thing I love about these 2 players are they have the commitment of being students of the game. When you combine this passion, it reminds me of what Artisans are to their particular craft. When you leave the game as all players do at some point in their NHL careers which are pretty short compared to other chosen professions. You do not want any regrets. Even if you are give a god given talent, you still have to work and get the most our of every ounce of your skill. Barzal probably could have not worked on his skating and he would bave still one of the best skaters in the NHL. To me he and McDavid are the NHL's best skaters. McDavid is faster, however, overall I would rate them even given Barzal's unpredictability.

Reactions: SI90 and PWJunior

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

I think the workout story was before the draft.

Either way it is a nice indication of how seriously this kid wants to improve and be a top player.

Reactions: PWJunior and dood

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
220px-Mr_Bungle_MB.jpg

Time for me to photoshop this.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Jagr won the fastest skater during the All Star Competition one year-he could fly!

Fastest skater in an all-stars competition isn't the same as playing the actual game. Again I'm not suggesting that he was slow by any means, but speed isn't what made Jagr a great skater. He was so good his edges and strong on his skates that it was nearly impossible to knock him off of the puck.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Fastest skater in an all-stars competition isn't the same as playing the actual game. Again I'm not suggesting that he was slow by any means, but speed isn't what made Jagr a great skater. He was so good his edges and strong on his skates that it was nearly impossible to knock him off of the puck.
It was a combination of things, really, but speed was part of it. So was strength, edges, footwork, lateral agility, etc, no question, but when his speed slowed down in his later years, despite still being strong as an ox, his skating noticeably declined, as did his production. I'm not saying speed is all important, but you can't discount it either.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
It was a combination of things, really, but speed was part of it. So was strength, edges, footwork, lateral agility, etc, no question, but when his speed slowed down in his later years, despite still being strong as an ox, his skating noticeably declined, as did his production. I'm not saying speed is all important, but you can't discount it either.

With the way the game is going, skating is at a premium more than ever. To be a true gamebreaker, it's a prerequisite to be at minimum an excellent skater in some form. It's the state of the game, McDavid is the new face of the NHL because he is the Lamborghini in the NHL ranks. Speed kills.

Jagr is a marvel. He was able to transition his game from a high flying skilled winger to a post up big as his skating speed declined. Amazing, it was a testament to his skill level, work ethic and instincts that he could do that. What a freak.

What excites me so much about Barzal is that his skating technique is the elite of the NHL and makes him probably the most elusive player in the game. He has the skill level and instincts to match his feet which makes him a true gamebreaker in the McDavid archetype. Young puck dominant centers that can fly are rare and Barzal is one of them.

Jack Hughes is considered the slam dunk #1 overall in what looks to be a good 2019 class. He's a shrimp, but he skates like Barzal and has the same type of high end skill and instincts. Undersized defensemen that can skate like the wind are now the latest rage. Puck possession via speed and skill is what everyone wants on draft day.

Reactions: Seph

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
What I always admired about JTraitor was his impeccable desire to improve himself and his game, especially in the offseason. Barzal seems to be cut from the same cloth.

You want your most skilled players to be your hardest workers.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
What I always admired about JTraitor was his impeccable desire to improve himself and his game, especially in the offseason. Barzal seems to be cut from the same cloth.

Barzal is better, and will continue to get better. He can do one thing that Judas can't. That is skate so effortlessly. But we also know he has worked hard on improving already great skating ability.

The sceptics or the haters lets face it most are Leafs fans, cannot console themselves Barzal is already better than Marner, or J Traitor. Check this main board thread and my post here. Some are really grasping to throw some shade on Barzal, Barzal has already proved the haters wrong once in a big way, and he will continue to do so moving ahead. It's going to be rough next 9-10 years watching this young man become one of the best Centers in the NHL. https://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/148592133/

Reactions: PWJunior

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013

Let's hope Barzal wasn't taking notes during the second half of last season. I refused to allow myself to believe 91 was coasting and playing it safe because he already knew he was bouncing. And then it happened.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Let's hope Barzal wasn't taking notes during the second half of last season. I refused to allow myself to believe 91 was coasting and playing it safe because he already knew he was bouncing. And then it happened.

Absolutely, let’s hope Barzal is cut from a wholly different cloth on that front. ;)

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Barzal is better, and will continue to get better. He can do one thing that Judas can't. That is skate so effortlessly. But we also know he has worked hard on improving already great skating ability.

The sceptics or the haters lets face it most are Leafs fans, cannot console themselves Barzal is already better than Marner, or J Traitor. Check this main board thread and my post here. Some are really grasping to throw some shade on Barzal, Barzal has already proved the haters wrong once in a big way, and he will continue to do so moving ahead. It's going to be rough next 9-10 years watching this young man become one of the best Centers in the NHL. https://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/148592133/

I’m not sure if Barzal is better yet, but he is certainly poised to be. Very different players, but both want to be the best they can be and work very hard at it.

Yup, Barzal is lightyears ahead in skating, not even worth comparing.

If he can improve his goalscoring, he will be dangerous in so many ways.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I’m not sure if Barzal is better yet, but he is certainly poised to be. Very different players, but both want to be the best they can be and work very hard at it.

Yup, Barzal is lightyears ahead in skating, not even worth comparing.

If he can improve his goalscoring, he will be dangerous in so many ways.

Much better at possession as well. I know JT is a beast down low (see Couturier highlight play) but for every highlight reel play JT makes like that, he coughs it up 20 times and Barzal skates around the offensive zone with the puck on his stick another 20 times.

Barzal has shown us he has goal scoring ability, he has a very slick back hand that he uses, especially when he's driving to the net from the right circle and coming through the slot, it's so unpredictable and the release is something else.

JT has the resume, Barzal has all the tools to put together an even better resume, I think he will surpass JT in 19'-20', being on a stacked team will help keep Pajamas fresh and productive this year, Barzal has a heavy load to carry but he is the more dynamic player and time WILL prove that.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

The entire purpose of that thread is stupid Leafs fans trying to make everyone here hate them even more than they already do. With the crap they are pulling I in no way condone it but I will find it hard to find sympathy for their fans who show up on 2/28 and have a very bad time. They are egging that element on with their crap and they are too stupid to realize what they are doing.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Leaf fans are doing the "5 points games shouldn't count towards point totals" thing on the main boards again :laugh:

One of the most laughable sentiments since I joined HF ... discrediting a player who tied Gretzky's record.

B-bb-but if you take aw-ay the 5 point games, he is bbu-bu-basically a 60 point player. :popcorn:

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
One of the most laughable sentiments since I joined HF ... discrediting a player who tied Gretzky's record.

B-bb-but if you take aw-ay the 5 point games, he is bbu-bu-basically a 60 point player. :popcorn:

It's too funny how Leaf fans are the most butt hurt over Barzal. You have strong arguments as to why Edmonton, Boston, and even Rangers fans would be. Insecurity because their own players don't measure up to young Mat seems to be the secret ingredient to amplify the taste of salt.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

Let's just assume all the games Barzal scored 5 points he actually scored 0 points. Okay? It's done. Much like Thanos, I've snapped my fingers and those 15 points have disappeared into the soul stone.

Reactions: danteipp
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad