Speculation: Mathew Barzal Contract Discussion

JayDog16

Jan 19, 2019
I wouldn't give Barzal more than 8mil a year. I also believe he's a better second line center than a first.

bstash19

Apr 8, 2012
long island
Brayden point signed a 3 year, $20.25m deal last year, and is a better player than barzal. I suspect his deal will be in a similar range

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
yes we need goals from Eberle and Lee. Barzal is just about as perfect a play maker that there is.

The problem is they know that Barzal is trying to pass to these guys all the time so they play back on him. If he was a threat to go up the middle and they had to play him close Eberle and Lee would get better shots.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
As a habs fan, I’d love Barzal. I’d offer sheet max everything. 4 1st round picks as compensation. I’d have no problem with that. He’s got everything. Young fast, skilled, competitive. My god would he ever look good in a habs jersey on the #1 line with Domi on his left. Maybe move Suzuki to right wing with him. Are the islanders owners strapped for cash like some other teams? What do they do? If they are, 90% of contract should be SB

join some fellow BC boys in Price, Weber, Gallagher. I think he’d enjoy playing in Montreal. Seems like a kid who is good under pressure too.

Last edited:

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Pure conjecture, and only time will tell but in the current environment. I think using prior contracts to determine what Barzy will get, may be leading some to overstate what he will get. I would be very surprised if the AAV is over $7M. If I understand correctly his first UFA year would be 2024. So I would expect a 2 or 3 year deal that would still leave him an RFA at the expiration 2022 or 23, then he can cash in assuming he continues to improve on a few things and the cap goes up by then.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
i predict...

3 yrs $19.5 mil (6.5 avg.)
year 1 - 10 mil
year 2 - 5.5 mil
year 3 - 4 mil

Barzal takes a bit less, but gets most of it upfront.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
i predict...

3 yrs $19.5 mil (6.5 avg.)
year 1 - 10 mil
year 2 - 5.5 mil
year 3 - 4 mil

Barzal takes a bit less, but gets most of it upfront.
If the games played this year are 50 vs 82, he won't be getting that money up front unless it's a signing bonus.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I wouldn't give Barzal more than 8mil a year. I also believe he's a better second line center than a first.
I agree. I see Barzal as the perfect number 2 center. Also $8 million per would be more bargain than slightly underpaid.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
As a habs fan, I’d love Barzal. I’d offer sheet max everything. 4 1st round picks as compensation. I’d have no problem with that. He’s got everything. Young fast, skilled, competitive. My god would he ever look good in a habs jersey on the #1 line with Domi on his left. Maybe move Suzuki to right wing with him. Are the islanders owners strapped for cash like some other teams? What do they do? If they are, 90% of contract should be SB

join some fellow BC boys in Price, Weber, Gallagher. I think he’d enjoy playing in Montreal. Seems like a kid who is good under pressure too.
Didn't they trade Domi?
And it's not ownership strapped it's the cap itself as we have continued a culture of mismanagement.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Barzal will get done, it's going to be a short deal. But affordable. It would make no sense for both parties to go long term with the cap situation now. This can even get down before the Isles move a contract or go LTIR.

Reactions: MJF

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Think Barzy goes for a 2 year bridge deal and plays his heart out for the NYI crest while becoming that player Trotz can count on. Lou will figure out the cap details.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I wouldn't be surprised to see a 2 year deal at 6.5m where the first year is 4m and then second year is 9m so that if the team wants to qualify him on the next contract it costs them 9m, or he gets to go to ufa. Take a cheap deal now to help the team, and cash in in a few years.

Similar to the Time Meier contract where he signed for slightly cheaper than market value to keep the cap down, but the last year of the contract is 10m so the qualifying offer is high.

Reactions: Beacon Isles

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I wouldn't be surprised to see a 2 year deal at 6.5m where the first year is 4m and then second year is 9m so that if the team wants to qualify him on the next contract it costs them 9m, or he gets to go to ufa. Take a cheap deal now to help the team, and cash in in a few years.

Similar to the Time Meier contract where he signed for slightly cheaper than market value to keep the cap down, but the last year of the contract is 10m so the qualifying offer is high.
Barzal knows if he takes too much, a contributing member of the team is gone.

Reactions: MJF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad