Speculation: Mathew Barzal Contract Discussion

IslesCLT

Apr 25, 2019
Charlotte
I'm on board with exposing Lee and trading Barzal (for an appropriate return, obviously). I'm not convinced Barzal will work out his issues. They have been issues for a long time.
tenor.gif

Nautica54

Nov 28, 2015
I'm on board with exposing Lee and trading Barzal (for an appropriate return, obviously). I'm not convinced Barzal will work out his issues. They have been issues for a long time.

Lightning fan in peace who also follows the isles closely.

Be careful. I suggested this last year and got crucified. Personally felt like you guys could get a killer return on him from some team like VAN...

Barzy reminds me too much of Drouin. Barzy is better but is still plagued by similar problems. Im just not convinced Barzal evolves into an elite player and should be considered untouchable or be handed anything north of a 7 mil contract

Reactions: Olliemets

Benedict Kovalchuk

Kovalchuk: A spy?
Jul 19, 2011
CASCADIA NOW
Even if he doesn't, even if he is just a lower end 1C(which I doubt) - those don't grow on trees and we'd be dopes to trade him. I'd rather work with a flawed 1C than none at all.

Reactions: Islander Class

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach

I'd prefer to keep Barzal because I feel he is too driven to not work on his game and break through this glass ceiling he has hit. That being said, I think the only way i'd entertain moving him would be in a 1 for 1 trade with another 1C that needs a change of scenery. I'd hate to send him to a place like Florida or Buffalo but if Barkov or Eichel were available you'd have to think hard. Most like have to add to Barzal to get Eichel, maybe throw in Toews or Mayfield.

Reactions: danteipp

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I'd prefer to keep Barzal because I feel he is too driven to not work on his game and break through this glass ceiling he has hit. That being said, I think the only way i'd entertain moving him would be in a 1 for 1 trade with another 1C that needs a change of scenery. I'd hate to send him to a place like Florida or Buffalo but if Barkov or Eichel were available you'd have to think hard. Most like have to add to Barzal to get Eichel, maybe throw in Toews or Mayfield.

Like you, I don't really have any desire to trade Barzal, however, for a player like Eichel (signed for six more seasons at $10 million AAV), I would probably make the deal.

Even if it took both Barzal and Toews+, I think Eichel's ability to score goals is worth it and would greatly benefit the Isles. Specifically by helping to offset the limited salary cap flexibility, yet still adding some offense.

It is amazing that Buffalo only has four (4) forwards under contract right now. They have some work to do to lock up their RFAs, figure out who stays and who goes, and come up with a plan for improvement.

Unless Eichel is really unhappy (beyond just what we have heard of course) and the team wants a fresh start, I can't see them moving him this season.

But if a deal centered around Barzal and Toews, plus maybe Uncle Leo (assuming the Sabres aren't one of the teams on his M-NTC, just to help balance out some salary) and a couple other small parts, I would probably do it.

If Uncle Leo has Buffalo on his M-NTC, then maybe they take Hickey.

If Buffalo likes Greiss and view him as a stopgap in net, I would send his rights along so they have an exclusive negotiating window with him as well.

Locking in Eichel at $10 million AAV, freeing up ~$3 million in cap space and only having to extend Pulock (while being able to keep Leddy for another season) is a win to me.

It would probably only mean having to put Ladd on LTIR and demote Hickey to the AHL to remain cap compliant.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

Be careful. I suggested this last year and got crucified. Personally felt like you guys could get a killer return on him from some team like VAN...

Barzy reminds me too much of Drouin. Barzy is better but is still plagued by similar problems. Im just not convinced Barzal evolves into an elite player and should be considered untouchable or be handed anything north of a 7 mil contract
I have my doubts about whether Barzal ever becomes an elite player...my gut says he stays just a notch below that, but he made significant strides in maturing his game this year. It started to show itself a month before the pause and then again in the first 2 rounds of the playoffs. Against the FLyers Barzal was playing within the framework Trotz set out for the Islanders and was easily our best forward in that series. Against a better opponent like the Lightning, when he was matched up against Kucherov-Point-Palat, his line was outplayed often and Barzal was lapsing into his old bad habit of trying to do too much on his own to make something happen.

So as far as I'm concerned, I'm going to do everything I can to keep Barzal here on the Island. I'm not interested in trading him.

Besides, I really don't think a team like the Canucks has a trade to offer us where the Islanders would come out the better. Brock Boesser doesn't do a thing for me. In fact unless the return on Barzal is a player like Jack Eichel I don't really think anybody has anything to offer the Islanders to make it worth trading him.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I have my doubts about whether Barzal ever becomes an elite player...my gut says he stays just a notch below that, but he made significant strides in maturing his game this year. It started to show itself a month before the pause and then again in the first 2 rounds of the playoffs. Against the FLyers Barzal was playing within the framework Trotz set out for the Islanders and was easily our best forward in that series. Against a better opponent like the Lightning, when he was matched up against Kucherov-Point-Palat, his line was outplayed often and Barzal was lapsing into his old bad habit of trying to do too much on his own to make something happen.

So as far as I'm concerned, I'm going to do everything I can to keep Barzal here on the Island. I'm not interested in trading him.

The thing I'd add is that the Kucherov line was definitely less effective when Point wasn't playing. I do think that part of the problem for Barzal isn't just his own game, but the fact that Lee and Eberle aren't at a high enough level either. He isn't talented enough to carry them when facing off against two of the best players in the league.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The thing I'd add is that the Kucherov line was definitely less effective when Point wasn't playing. I do think that part of the problem for Barzal isn't just his own game, but the fact that Lee and Eberle aren't at a high enough level either. He isn't talented enough to carry them when facing off against two of the best players in the league.
Lee isn't. Eberle is skilled enough to mesh with Barzal when Ebs is not in one of his funks.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I concur this and it probably is good for Barzal too. He will be in his prime in 2 years and probably by then his value will grow much more and Isls will have more cap room to resign him for a much bigger long term contract. This will also allow Isles to lock up Pulock long term this summer on a reasonable contract. Lou has to sell hard on the recent team's success and chemistry and help to see things long term rather than short term. Hopefully, no team will come up with a ridiculous offer sheet to throw out this option and influence Barzal's decision.
That's what I would like in the range of 6.75 x 3. I am not worried about offersheets. They rarely happen, and Lou has got enough respect around the league where I could see other GM's not using this mechanism.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

Thinking like this almost got Steve Yzerman traded for Alexei Yashin.

For a more recent Islander examples... how many times was Adam Pelech waived by Isles fans before the age of 23? Brock Nelson?

Isles have a future hall-of-fame coach... probably the current best coach in the NHL. If Barzal is committed to the Islanders, then he will end up fine. To me, “fine” means he will be good enough to be a contributing part of a possible Stanley Cup team

davinhimself

Nov 9, 2009
Queens, NY

Normally, I’d probably take this personally, but I can honestly see why TB fans aren’t impressed with Barzal. Against some teams, his style can’t really be countered and he’s just a force (see Philly series).

Against a team like Tampa (and really only Tampa), his game doesn’t translate well at all. They basically have a better version of Barzal in Point and have so many other strong pieces that his game just doesn’t give the Isles the advantage it does against other squads.

Most importantly, TB controls the blue line as well as any team in the league and that is Barzal’s kryptonite (see Isles game 7 OT power play).

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Normally, I’d probably take this personally, but I can honestly see why TB fans aren’t impressed with Barzal. Against some teams, his style can’t really be countered and he’s just a force (see Philly series).

Against a team like Tampa (and really only Tampa), his game doesn’t translate well at all. They basically have a better version of Barzal in Point and have so many other strong pieces that his game just doesn’t give the Isles the advantage it does against other squads.

Most importantly, TB controls the blue line as well as any team in the league and that is Barzal’s kryptonite (see Isles game 7 OT power play).

Yeah @Nautica54! Basically, you guys are just spoiled... whenever you need to replace a franchise player all you do is insert whatever third rounder you drafted three years ago. ;)

Nautica54

Nov 28, 2015
Yeah @Nautica54! Basically, you guys are just spoiled... whenever you need to replace a franchise player all you do is insert whatever third rounder you drafted three years ago. ;)

I'm not saying the kid is a bad player or can't be elite. I would just be very cautious if a team like Montreal throws a 10 mil offer sheet at him. I still see the isles matching hoping he is the fave of the franchise that can open up UBS. Just not sure he would live up to that. Best case scenario is a point like bridge deal to see how he develops the next 3 years

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
If Barzal played in an offensive scheme he'd be putting up 90 points a season so anyone who wants to trade him can stop right the f*** now.

Imagine the best forward on your team that just went to six games in the conference finals has people actually discussing the prospect of trading him. Sometimes I'm at a loss with some people on HF. I don't get it.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
That's what I would like in the range of 6.75 x 3. I am not worried about offersheets. They rarely happen, and Lou has got enough respect around the league where I could see other GM's not using this mechanism.

I'd be shocked if he signed anything less than $7.5million-and honestly even that's a bit low for him.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The one thing about Barzal that we have not seen yet in the NHL is has never had a winger or even a D man that he has can max out his talent to play with. This is an untapped ceiling that still has not been maxed out by the Isles. I sort of see this growing with Dobson, hopefully they can compliment each other. Dobson is one of the best D men at headmanning the puck and he also has a knack of joining the rush, Barzal is a player that likes to break out quickly on the counter and he loves to look for the D man joining the rush, I can see a beautiful partnership beginning next season. The winger that can find the soft spot in the O zone that can finish is the other talent that Barzal has yet to play with is still a problem. As far as the Isles have come these past 2 years, there is still so much more ceiling that has yet to be filled. This is why I am positive that the Isles are not a 2 shot wonder in the playoffs these past 2 years. They have some great young guys coming and that are still improving to add to the veteran group they have. Get Barzal some players to play with, the team will add another dimension to the already strong team environment they have.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Imagine the best forward on your team that just went to six games in the conference finals has people actually discussing the prospect of trading him. Sometimes I'm at a loss with some people on HF. I don't get it.

Maybe some people feel he has fatal flaws. I'm not one of those but yea, I would entertain the idea of a Hockey trade for another young 1C who shoots the puck. I'd like to keep Barzal since I believe he will come back better next season and is probably 3 seasons away from being "rounded out" as finished project. It'll be interesting to see the impact he is having from 27-30.

This is just discussion and opinion, Barzal is likely an Islander till he hits UFA.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
If Barzal played in an offensive scheme he'd be putting up 90 points a season so anyone who wants to trade him can stop right the f*** now.

I mean this is indisputable fact. Just look at his rookie season. He can and absolutely needs to keep improving his game. All players at that age do. But the amount of under appreciation he is getting by some... woof.

Using Tampa as an example... Their stars are so effective partly because they are insulted by each other. Swap Barzal for any Tampa forward and said forward or Isles would not produce markedly better.

Point and Kucherov are excellent talents and currently better than Barzal. But they wouldn’t move the needle much more all alone on the Isles.

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
The one thing about Barzal that we have not seen yet in the NHL is has never had a winger or even a D man that he has can max out his talent to play with. This is an untapped ceiling that still has not been maxed out by the Isles. I sort of see this growing with Dobson, hopefully they can compliment each other. Dobson is one of the best D men at headmanning the puck and he also has a knack of joining the rush, Barzal is a player that likes to break out quickly on the counter and he loves to look for the D man joining the rush, I can see a beautiful partnership beginning next season. The winger that can find the soft spot in the O zone that can finish is the other talent that Barzal has yet to play with is still a problem. As far as the Isles have come these past 2 years, there is still so much more ceiling that has yet to be filled. This is why I am positive that the Isles are not a 2 shot wonder in the playoffs these past 2 years. They have some great young guys coming and that are still improving to add to the veteran group they have. Get Barzal some players to play with, the team will add another dimension to the already strong team environment they have.

I know you've been extremely complimentary and supportive of our team over the past year or two and thank you for that. and you've been right more than you've been wrong..

We said the EXACT same thing as you laid out above about Yashin.. then we said the EXACT same thing about Tavares.. that ever so hard to find ... elusive scoring winger..

If we could ONLY get Barzal his Bossy it'd be NYI-Dallas in the finals right now.. And you know what? I do believe that's true.

Barzal and Lee work well together as a power forward and a play-maker, but Eberle is not the guy.. Eberle is why we're not in the finals.. cold hard truth.. if Eberle converted more of his chances in the play-offs we'd still be playing... I don't have the answer.. I don't know who to go out and get.. With Seattle coming up I'm not so sure next season is the one to push the chips in the middle anyway.. probably better to set ourselves up for the season after... but after that? If Wahlstrom doesn't look like the pure goal scorer then I say we do anything it takes to get one.. We tried with Panarin, but we need to try again and succeed... Barzal is that special.. he's that gifted and dynamic..

I truly cannot believe anyone who supports our team is going "yyyyyeeeeaaah maybe we should trade Barzal to Vancouver or decline to match an offer sheet".... stunning to me..

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Is there risk of losing Matt Barzal as an RFA?

I don’t like to think about it as it would have huge implications to the near term success of this franchise. I think the world of Matt Barzal and think we need to try to maintain his line or if anything replace Eberle with a greater talent somehow. After listening to some discussion on the NHL channel on Sirius / XM on Friday, I believe the possibility is real.

It was asked, after this great Islander run, what is next in the off-season?

When Barzal contract was brought up, it was said, Montreal has a need for a #1 center and their fans who are spending big money to attend the games are becoming restless. There is no longer patience to build through the draft and all their moves to fill this role have not panned out. Why not offer Barzal $10+ million per year to fill a #1 center role they cannot fill via the draft? I don’t want to get into the validity of this argument or if some of the hosts on this channel are searching for a story or just stirring things up. I am just looking at the risk right now.

If a restricted free agent signs an offer sheet with an average salary between $8.5-million and $10.6-million a year the compensation is two first-round picks, a second-round pick and a third-round pick OR the current team matches the offer.

I will say that I hate this rule and it rarely happens, but in this case it sounds like there is a possibility it may happen.

So, if this happens it will force Lou’s hand to match or let him walk. I think Lou matches as he cannot afford moving into Belmont in 2021-22 without his star #1 center. His salary cap issues become even more challenging, but the alternative is a huge step back in the near term.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
If a restricted free agent signs an offer sheet with an average salary between $8.5-million and $10.6-million a year the compensation is two first-round picks, a second-round pick and a third-round pick OR the current team matches the offer.

What team has great finishers, solid D and goaltending but missing a sauce master?

Adding to that, when we find a team like that do they have 10M in cap space without f***ing up their build?

And finally, does that team still own all of those picks? Even if they do, can they afford 10+Million players and NOT have ELC guys on their way?

Oh and the Cap is flat the next 3 years. Good luck other team.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
I'd be all over Eichel on this team instead of Barzal. I have no idea how it would be done. For whatever reason Barzal can't get in the middle and shoot. He's too predictable. Defenders know he's skating around the outside waiting for someone to cut toward the goal. If defenders had to worry about him passing or driving toward the goal they'd have a problem, but they don't. A supposed elite player needs more goals. If he played elite against Tampa they'd still be playing. Forget about the so called defensive scheme, when a team is down by one late like the Isles often are, they are in an offensive scheme.He'll end up getting near ten million because people are dazzled by his skating. It's one thing to make it to the final four. If you're going to be the last team standing, you need an elite goalie and a superstar playing lights out.

Last edited:

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
I can’t believe there is possible talk about trading Barzal for picks. I mean really people we want to go though another rebuild. You don’t trade players like Barzal you get him players to play with him. We all know his weaknesses but what Lou needs to figure out his how to get him a elite sniper to play with. How many times did he set up eberle against Philadelphia and eberle just could not finish. Ye Barzal struggled against Tampa but so did most of the forwards expect Brock who had the winning goal on his stick in game 6 but could not get it done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad