Speculation: Mathew Barzal Contract Discussion

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island

RUMOR- I have no clue who this guy is or if he has any credibility.

No idea who he is, may have no more credibility than my friend's, sister's, uncle's barber but 3x6.5 was exactly what I have been hoping for as the most optimistic possible outcome plus his twitter says he is a Star Wars fan, so I am going to choose to give him full credibility until proven otherwise LOL.

Last edited:
Reactions: nyisleslover

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
No idea who he is, may have no more credibility than my friend's, sister's, uncle's barber but 3x6.5 was exactly what I have been hoping for as the most optimistic possible outcome plus his twitter says he is a Star Wars fan, so I am going to choose to give him full credibility until proven otherwise LOL.

I think he's a former Orange Julius vendor so you know he's super legit.

Last edited:

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Please :thumbu:
Get Barzal locked into that team friendly deal,that will have him a rfa when it expires, then get Pelech locked into a reasonable extension.

Looking at cap friendly, if you
1) Sign Barzal at 6.5M,
2) Signed Greene/Martin for a combined $2.5M-2.7M,
3) added Aho and his $725K to the NHL roster
4) and sent Hickey/Ladd to AHL (picking up $2.1M),

then you would have a 22 man roster with about $2.1M-$2.3M available to add a UFA or player via trade where we take on a bit of salary in order to slightly upgrade the offense

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Looking at cap friendly, if you
1) Sign Barzal at 6.5M,
2) Signed Greene/Martin for a combined $2.5M-2.7M,
3) added Aho and his $725K to the NHL roster
4) and sent Hickey/Ladd to AHL (picking up $2.1M),

then you would have a 22 man roster with about $2.1M-$2.3M available to add a UFA or player via trade where we take on a bit of salary in order to slightly upgrade the offense

Hoffman's at the top of my wishlist, but his camp is saying they have interest from a dozen teams,so I expect he is out of the nyi budget.

I read in a recent ufa article,that these teams either are at or above the cap ceiling: Vancouver, Arizona,St. Louis, Washington, Toronto,Vegas, Anaheim, Edmonton and Winnipeg. We can now add in TB.

Once the league announces a start date to training camp and the season,we should see plenty of front offices scrambling,forced to make moves.

Reactions: 19 in a row

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Think the kid comes in at 6.5 million a year for 2 years. Hopefully he is looking at video of point going to the net and stopping in the paint. Barzy has another gear we have not seen. LGI!

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
If he’s willing to sign for 6.5 it would have already happened by now. I don’t see him getting less than 7.5...probably 8.

There's pretty much zero chance he gets that if he isn't signing long term. No comparable is making anywhere near that.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
There's pretty much zero chance he gets that if he isn't signing long term. No comparable is making anywhere near that.

I see Point mentioned a lot as a comp, but the Islanders need Barzal a lot more than Tampa needs Point. Barzal has all the leverage. This also doesn't take into account that Tampa is a more desirable place to play.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I see Point mentioned a lot as a comp, but the Islanders need Barzal a lot more than Tampa needs Point. Barzal has all the leverage. This also doesn't take into account that Tampa is a more desirable place to play.

There's been a cap crunch and he has no arbitration rights, I'd say he has less leverage than you think.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
also...again...

I said this for a year before Tavares left, I argued that (most) posters on here not to count their chickens before they hatch just because he was saying sports PR 101. What do you expect them to say "we can't wait to leave", "we want as much as we can get"? Words by guys who have vast amounts of PR and say generic sayings like this really don't mean much. Business is business and personal is personal. This is a business decision on both ends...nothing more, nothing less.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad